Sign in to follow this  
Lazz

Online auction buying and grading

Just woundering what your views are on auction online buying and what's the minimum grading you would buy online.

i buy most of what sell from auction and in person and anything from about £1500 upto £6000 but there is nothing worst than turning up and leaving empty handed, so was woundering do many of you buy online in stead of in person and if so what is the minimum grade would you buy this way, as I thinking I could just cover more car auction sites and just get it all delivered.

i get if you only sell stuff say 18 months old but wondered how you fair with the older higher mileage stuff.

or is just a case of if you buy this way you just pay your money and take your chances.

has the grading lived up to you expectations.

Been bitten once by a nasty fiesta that was ten times worse than the photos looked.

I don’t usually make the effort going to a sale unless I’m sure I can buy 3/5 cars or it’s a wasted trip. However if it’s a niche car I will sometimes buy online as opposed to making the effort I generally sell older prestige / hot hatches from 2008/2012 

I don’t mind grade 4 etc if it has good history as paintwork isn’t that expensive it’s just cracked bumpers etc I hate!

i have had grade 3 cars in past and they were really bad and needed considerable prep, likewise i have had in the past a few grade 4 and they were minimal spend

BCA grading system is all over the place

I’d be more worried about mechanical issues buying online than bodywork as you can’t hear/see them.

I will and do buy online but only if it’s cheap enough to take the risk, i’d still much rather be there in person.

Edited by Lakeside

This topic has been mentioned before. If only the auction houses had given us accurate grading and honest descriptions in the first place the take up of online bidding would have so much better. When the big auction houses grade the cars accurately and 'declare' everything good and bad we can then all sit at home bidding with confidence. And, for example as I've mentioned before, Japan has a system where the vehicles are honestly and accurately described and you bid confidently on that basis Grade 1 means grade 1.

BCA/Manheim take note!

1 hour ago, met said:

This topic has been mentioned before. If only the auction houses had given us accurate grading and honest descriptions in the first place the take up of online bidding would have so much better. When the big auction houses grade the cars accurately and 'declare' everything good and bad we can then all sit at home bidding with confidence. And, for example as I've mentioned before, Japan has a system where the vehicles are honestly and accurately described and you bid confidently on that basis Grade 1 means grade 1.

BCA/Manheim take note!

Think that is what we all want ~ just think, if they got their finger out on this one issue, they would increase profits due to reduced claims and a reduction in staff to manage complaints!! They have that much cash slopping about, this subject is in the CBA territory for major auction houses..

Edited by Area 51