Sign in to follow this  
Firefighter Wash

Decisions....

Hi everyone, looking for some advice, I recently picked up a BMW 120i SE from BCA, wasn't until I was driving back I realised why it was at the auction, the rear diff has gone, apparently very common on these cars, so my question is what would you advise me to do with the car...

BMW 120SE silver, 61K, 12 months MOT. Leather interior, Paid 2K (with fees included)

Estimated repair £600. Paint £160

I've obviously done my research as valuation but Ebay and Autotrader seem to be quite a way from each other so difficult to make a decision.

I have thought of a few options - Repair and hopefully make a return - Sell as is - or chuck back in auction (not keen!)

If anyone could offer some advise I would be grateful.

Many thanks,

John

Repair it and sell it, some cars cost more to prep than others, that's the game. The next car may not cost you a penny, its swings and roundabouts, its also a great bnenefit....New MOT, just serviced, new rear dif, prepared to the highest standards etc etc.....

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Repair it and sell it, some cars cost more to prep than others, that's the game. The next car may not cost you a penny, its swings and roundabouts, its also a great bnenefit....New MOT, just serviced, new rear dif, etc etc.....

Thanks AD, Do you think ill make anything back on it or use this as a learning point? 

Appreciate you taking the time out to help us probies...

Just now, Firefighter Wash said:

Thanks AD, Do you think ill make anything back on it or use this as a learning point? 

I sell more 1 Series than any other car.

What's the reg (pm me if you like)

1 minute ago, Firefighter Wash said:

No problem, without knowing its full details I have no way of knowing... 

3 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I sell more 1 Series than any other car.

What's the reg (pm me if you like)

I've got a coupe Mark which hasn't had a sniff......

19 minutes ago, Firefighter Wash said:

Hi everyone, looking for some advice, I recently picked up a BMW 120i SE from BCA, wasn't until I was driving back I realised why it was at the auction, the rear diff has gone, apparently very common on these cars, so my question is what would you advise me to do with the car...

BMW 120SE silver, 61K, 12 months MOT. Leather interior, Paid 2K (with fees included)

Estimated repair £600. Paint £160

I've obviously done my research as valuation but Ebay and Autotrader seem to be quite a way from each other so difficult to make a decision.

I have thought of a few options - Repair and hopefully make a return - Sell as is - or chuck back in auction (not keen!)

If anyone could offer some advise I would be grateful.

Many thanks,

John

With that mileage and pedigree even if it's an early model has got to sell quick at £3490

• Like 1

Re: Firefighter - I would be having that up at £3,990 to start and dropping to £3,490 if no news after 4 weeks.  Worst case £2990 - money back.  Leather and mileage will help that sell and yes, the axle is a very common issue.

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

No problem, without knowing its full details I have no way of knowing... 

I've got a coupe Mark which hasn't had a sniff......

I look at your site quite often Simon, you've been a big help to me - so it's good to track others progress and I saw this - they fetch a fortune at the block, that's for sure.

I would be getting the B pillar back tinted out and that will (IMO) make a big difference because at the moment, it looks like a greenhouse trimmed in chrome.

I had the exact same spec (but 118 D sport in black), on a 59 plate, 1 owner similar mileage - went for £6,250 in 26 days hammer to bank.  Drew a grand nett from that even after fitting DMF and clutch.

Re: Firefighter - I would be having that up at £3,990 to start and dropping to £3,490 if no news after 4 weeks.  Worst case £2990 - money back.  Leather and mileage will help that sell and yes, the axle is a very common issue.

I look at your site quite often Simon, you've been a big help to me - so it's good to track others progress and I saw this - they fetch a fortune at the block, that's for sure.

I would be getting the B pillar back tinted out and that will (IMO) make a big difference because at the moment, it looks like a greenhouse trimmed in chrome.

I had the exact same spec (but 118 D sport in black), on a 59 plate, 1 owner similar mileage - went for £6,250 in 26 days hammer to bank.  Drew a grand nett from that even after fitting DMF and clutch.

;)

• Like 1

Shop about, it’s not a difficult job to do the rear diffs on them. 

Do you have a local gearbox repairer?

Deal directly with them, they will have a tame spanner to remove it for you. 

8 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Shop about, it’s not a difficult job to do the rear diffs on them. 

Do you have a local gearbox repairer?

Deal directly with them, they will have a tame spanner to remove it for you. 

I expect they'll have a fixed price repair.......

Dave is it the friction plates that go ?

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Done loads of these on the 1 series and 3 series, some at low miles too. Poor design, would be difficult to know when buying from the block but I'll bet my bottom dollar that's why it was in the ring in the first place. 

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Dave is it the friction plates that go ?

I don't really have a lot of experience of these cars, I have certainly never sold one, but I have fitted a couple of good used units for Workshop Customers, I'd say those 2 were Bearing / CWP failures judging by the noise they were making ;)

In the old days when down South I'd have stripped one down and seen what it needed to repair, but these days I can't be arsed, too busy ;)

Fair few in Salvage yards now. 

Very easy to fit ;) 

To @Firefighter Wash and all ...............

You do know these are a 3.45 Unit same as a BMW 318 / 320 don't you ??

Ya'all can send me a paypal donation for that little nugget :P 

I usually get a good s/h unit for around £200 - £250 ;)  

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I usually get a good s/h unit for around £200 - £250 ;)  

Our local gearbox man , does new bearings for £250 all in.  Expect to pay £100ish to  remove and refit inc oil i would say.

But thats in the North East where working for less is compulsory.

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

Our local gearbox man , does new bearings for £250 all in

Good price that, however what I used to find when I rebuilt 'em was a Bearings job would only work if you do them early on ........................

If, (like the average BMW driver will do), they have done a lot of miles howling then I used to find that the CWP was worn and FUBAR and no matter what you tried, without a new CWP it would still hum away ;) 

Edited by Dave2302

18 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Mark, what sort of cost would the tinting be at trade, i enquired locally by email for the coupe rear windows and got a quote if £138.... seems expensive? 

19 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Mark, what sort of cost would the tinting be at trade, i enquired locally by email for the coupe rear windows and got a quote if £138.... seems expensive? 

£100/£120 no one likes doing the rear window on coupes etc as bit of a headache to get at with the shelf location. 

Price isn't that bad as a one off and not having used them before I find these sort of companies always drop it after a few jobs with instant payment when you show them you will use them frequently.

21 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Best I have paid was £80 but ususally £120 mate

59 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

£100/£120 no one likes doing the rear window on coupes etc as bit of a headache to get at with the shelf location. 

Price isn't that bad as a one off and not having used them before I find these sort of companies always drop it after a few jobs with instant payment when you show them you will use them frequently.

Thanks Rory

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Best I have paid was £80 but ususally £120 mate

Cheers Mark