Sign in to follow this  
j4ck100

Light windscreen arc scratches caused by wipers how to remove?

So this Fiat 500 is turning out to be more of a pain than I imagined.

First i noticed some oil in the engine bay - turns out an oil breather pipe has split - common on the 1.2 apparantly so there goes £60

Next i notice that there are arc scratches on the windscreen in line with the wipers that have obviously been caused by old wiper blades or maybe debris that got stuck

Has anyone else encountered this before, and if so how did you fix it ? Reading various things about toothpaste being a possible solution!

Thanks

Jack

new breather pipe:huh: £60 notes? are you mard? no breakers near you or even a s/h one from an internet seller? £60 pheew

with regards the screen you could try g5 and a good mopping or just wet the screen prior to customer turning up  or only advertise in light drizzle days:D

to be honest more appraisals seems to be in order for you if you dont mind me saying, prior to waving the sales leaflet to fat john on the podimum that your desperate

There are special polishes that you can buy for windscreens I've tried a few but glass is very hard, its not like polishing soft laquer to remove scratches. Sometimes its just easier to get a new screen. 

You can fix the breather pipe with a bit of the right diameter fuel hose - costs a fraction of the price of the Fiat part and is easy to fit yourself when you take off the air box.

Ours failed on the car's second birthday, it started pumping fumes into the car through the climate control system so not very pleasant!

My view would be if it passes an MOT then it's good to go! If you get a customer on the car then maybe know a £50 off the car and suggest that they may pick up a stone one day that will break the screen and his /her insurance may cover it with a , you've guessed it £50 excess :-)

On the other hand I would likely spend money on the alloys, some of the mobile guys will do then for £20 each and that will help the sale of it, IMHO 

Years ago we used a silver metal polish pads similar to duraglit I can't remember it's name it was something like Silvo and if you rubbed it gently in little swirl patterns on the marks it worked. don't know if it's still made from the same stuff nowadays but for a couple of quid it's worth a go. 

sorry it wasn't silvo I must of been having a blonde moment yesterday it was jewellers rouge 

Rouge powder can be mixed with water, olive oil or similar medium into a paste or slurry and used as follows: To remove fine scratches in glass, smear the Rouge Powder or paste onto a soft mop attached to a polishing motor; keep the speed slow and polish very slowly until the desired effect is obtained

Rayon pad (flexipads make some) and car pro ceriglass or 3m glass compound, on a rotary