Sign in to follow this  
metcars

New driver insurance

How does the CDM collective deal with their kids car insurance? If they have their own insurance and you are a named driver, is that kosher? Bearing in mind my trade insurance?

Second, I've been hearing that having a black box is not all it's cracked up to be? 

Just about to check out insurance for my 17yr old daughter also so any tips greatly appreciated .

Given that my wife wrote of a CRV earlier this year (bless) I doubt my trade insurance would entertain another family member !

madness to put a young driver on a trade policy in my opinion as we all had a bump within 18 months

put the youngsters name on the log book

park it off road at home

have a black box fitted (it works both ways)

put a clean licence named driver (s) on it should help decrease the bill (its kosher if that is what you are doing so long as you are not fronting)

consider a late night curfew time

go with a proper company

limit the mileage

37 minutes ago, boring dave said:

put a clean licence named driver (s) on it should help decrease the bill (its kosher if that is what you are doing so long as you are not fronting)

I'd imagine if I was a named driver on my daughter's insurance that I'd have to declare that to my insurance company. could that bite me in the ass?

Just now, met said:

I'd imagine if I was a named driver on my daughter's insurance that I'd have to declare that to my insurance company. could that bite me in the ass?

Why?

Quite normal to be a named driver on your kids car surely.  If anything you should commended for not taking advantage of your trade insurance.

4 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Why?

Quite normal to be a named driver on your kids car surely.  If anything you should commended for not taking advantage of your trade insurance.

So, any 'issues' on my daughters insurance stay there. My insurance wont drag it up at renewal time!

1 minute ago, met said:

So, any 'issues' on my daughters insurance stay there. My insurance wont drag it up at renewal time!

Sorry met, I don't really understand.

Daughter gets insurance and adds parent(s) to policy. They will ask your trade and whether you've ever had insurance declined, accidents, claims etc but...........

Your insurance has nothing to do with it.

Just now, Mark101 said:

Sorry met, I don't really understand.

Daughter gets insurance and adds parent(s) to policy. They will ask your trade and whether you've ever had insurance declined, accidents, claims etc but...........

Your insurance has nothing to do with it.

OK thanks

I don't have kids but sell to a lot of youngsters in our area and I always ask blackbox yes or no.

Get one fitted would be my advice. It's not a big monetary issue, usually a 10% - 15% annual saving but it really does seem to make them more cautious, aware, safer. The apps that link with the boxes are really well designed and good at enforcing them and most of the youngsters really pay attention to their app at the end of a drive and take tips, are aware of excessive speed/braking etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, met said:

How does the CDM collective deal with their kids car insurance?

My 3 old year daughter is very interested in cars but can't reach the pedals yet. 

My 13 year old daughter tried our C Class on our driveway and she did OK. Completely uninsured of course. At 18 I will add her to the trade policy unless they say No. Will cross that bridge........

When we book a warranty job in part of the tick sheet is now do you have an insurance device fitted, we got caught out driving a customers car at 45 in a 30 zone and they had a letter shortly after advising them they would be cancelling there policy if it happens again.

Customers father was ok about we just wrote on to the company explained it was in our custody ect all sorted but very easy mistake to make.