Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

Mercedes W203 Auto Problems

Got a 2006 Mercedes c180 in stock, erratic issues where sometimes it won't shift up from first and then other times ot changes fine but on parking up the gearstick will leave "d" get to "n" and won't go past there, cannot engage reverse or get into park unless ignition is knocked off and vehicle restarted. I'm thinking faulty gear selector, anyone come across this previously? Thanks in advance. 

Where is Scottish Dave lately? He’s the man for this question. 

Faulty battery, faulty gear selector, faulty ignition switch module or (highly unlikely) a faulty gearbox.

Dave would surely want to know if the car has been on SDS and what the fault codes are? 

I will add that if fault codes are completely absent it could indeed point to a mechanical fault in the gear selector. £80 used and easy to replace. 

9 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Faulty battery, faulty gear selector, faulty ignition switch module or (highly unlikely) a faulty gearbox.

Dave would surely want to know if the car has been on SDS and what the fault codes are? 

I will add that if fault codes are completely absent it could indeed point to a mechanical fault in the gear selector. £80 used and easy to replace. 

£80 Nick, show me where i can get one for this, I've been quoted nigh on double that! 

7 minutes ago, twerp said:

I might be misreading this but brake pedal switch ?

Good shout but definitely not this. I thought it was knackered too as my first port of call 

5 minutes ago, twerp said:

I might be misreading this but brake pedal switch ?

i would agree

once had a fiat auto put it right up to the bulkhead on the truck and the battery went flat,i couldnt get bonnet up due to crashbar and couldnt get it out of gear

cant remember what i did 

probably drove it into a river

it was a very very long time ago:lol:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i would agree

once had a fiat auto put it right up to the bulkhead on the truck and the battery went flat,i couldnt get bonnet up due to crashbar and couldnt get it out of gear

cant remember what i did 

probably drove it into a river

it was a very very long time ago:lol:

To be fair, re-reading the opening post (particularly Reverse difficulty) reminded me of Mercs of that era with gear selector problems - especially CLKs for some reason

One for Dave2302316740

On 04/03/2019 at 7:53 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Hi apologies I've been very very busy and not on here much.

Yes, what Nick says, I suspect Shifter but would want to confirm due to price, and if your Car is one of the MB's with no Steering Lock, then it will be a theft relevant (Immo) part and will need the right guy with SDS to program it, and you can't use a used one unless you virginise it first ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

On 04/03/2019 at 9:19 PM, twerp said:

One for Dave2302316740

What is 316740 ? Certainly isn't my phone number could be millimeters on a good day :lol::ph34r:

On 04/03/2019 at 7:24 PM, NOACROSS said:

Where is Scottish Dave lately? He’s the man for this question. 

Head is in my SLK Electronics, am halfway through installing a Paddle Shift Steering Wheel with Buttons to control the Android, and it really isn't as easy as bolt on plug and play, have had to do a lot of reasearch and development plus find part numbers for a Clock Spring Steering Angle Sensor with more cores, correct wiring plugs, micro soldering the tiny switch circuit boards etc.

The prototype system is working now, so another set of switches is on it's way to build the final finished product and fit it all on the Car :D

All this in between a bunch of Customers Vehicles and a couple of Sales Preps, some of which had real "Bear" Faults, so I guess in 2 word summation ..............

Fuckin' Busy :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input, was indeed the selector, new one fitted and problem solved. 

33 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Thanks everyone for the input, was indeed the selector, new one fitted and problem solved. 

Result