Sign in to follow this  
Phil H

This is Why I Sell Vans

After selling cars for nearly 20 years I got fed up of having to watch my P's & Q's and put up with all of the excuses as to why customers don't want to buy (wrong colour, little scratch etc. etc) so I decided to give vans a go, now I don't prep them, let them see them in the condition that they arrive in, show them the pedigree of the detailed service history and offer a full repair and repaint in any solid colour of their choice free of charge, metallic's extra,  He looked at the bodywork and I told him just imagine that now it looks like your missus does in the morning without her make up on, but once I've fixed it up it'll look like she does when dolled up for a night out, but if we take her for a spin I bet she's a good ride, so we did. We went on the test drive dressed in my lucky smurf T shirt which says Pull My Finger on it, the customer did and out popped one stinking the van out, He laughed, swore at me and called me a smelly A**e B@@@@@@, He bought it asked if I'll paint it metallic black for him as he's always wanted a black van. He's left here over the moon, couldn't wait to leave me a deposit as he's getting a mechanically sound van fully painted in his colour choice,he's only paying £4500 for it and more importantly he left with a smile on his face. Would you get away with selling a car in this condition and Speaking to the customer like that? Thought not and that's why I sell vans. And GG I'll apologize for my grammar in advance.

WP_20150626_001-min-min-min.jpg

• Like 1

Out of interest if he took it as it stood in Royal Mail red would you have made more margin or reduced the price ? 

I like the the relaxed laid back attitude as my feeling is it puts people more at ease, I'll happily standard chat to anyone about anything with 4 wheels. Out of the 6 test drives I've taken people out on i've taken deposits for 5. Not that my job is sales. I've never been tempted to pull someone's finger though .....

Good job Manheim didn't take it back then ;)

I had a little Kangoo van sat on death row for a few months (it was actually a sound enough van) but it needed a couple of jobs doing on it to make it ok. Loads of lads have enquired about it but I've been too busy with the cars to get round to it. Anyway, one bloke kept mithering about it and after establishing he was a local proper bloke I set to work on it. Two hours after a new battery and lock it passed it's test with only a couple of advisories, only problem was the speedo packed in on the way back from the test. I rang the bloke and he was cock a hoop. I explained about the speedo' 'not arsed, I've got sat nav' he said, and then told him the radio needed coding 'not arsed, I can whistle' and then told him I've got no idea when the cambelt was replaced 'not arsed, my mate will do it for a couple of scoops, can I pick it ip now?'. Just give me a couple of hours to clean it up for youI said, '**** off came the reply, I'll be there in 10 minutes'. I've seen him since and he's happy as larry and everything is now working on the van and it's belt has been done. Happy, stress free days :)

• Like 1

I'd of had to reduce the price significantly to of sold it as is, the side in the pictures is the best side, so made more selling it painted. This one wasn't one of the ones that were mis described by manheim I actually went to a physical auction to buy this. I may be brave and mad but not brave or mad enough to actually buy a Royal Mail van on line I have some standards. 

• Like 1

I do occasionally sell vans and find it relatively straight forward as customers are not as fussy. Its finding them for a good price the hard bit. 

I've toyed with the idea of vans. I've got a bunch of Polish fella's at the end of my road who have about 6 in various states of repair and appear to be turning them over on a regular basis, I dont think the council have noticed yet, or anyone has 'dobbed' them in:D

Seriously, they appear to be a lot of money at auction for what they are, Shabby, intergallactic miles and no history; but I guess youre buying usefulness rather than kerb appeal

Hi, I had an Audi A4 2.0 tdi and no one really wanted it. It was a decent car but that was so unwanted that even I was fed up looking at it and I have done horrible deal of swapping that for something and a renault van. People were almost fighting about it over the phone as It was low priced due to gearbox close to end of its life but they weren't bothered.

I said to one that the handbrake cable was sticking a bit and he said that furniture polish would do :) and today he came in with cash, very hapy about it, not bothered about the things which were not perfect! 2 days from posting an ad!

I will give vans a go!