Sign in to follow this  
ExCouncilJobsworth

If you didn't sell cars what would you be doing?

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Our second home is a static in Cornwall "Rosie" our site reopens 1st March...  We go down every Friday for the weekend unless the weather is horrendous...  Family first.... 

A lot of customers want to collect at the weekend, but as soon as you tell them I work all week 6am to 9pm, the weekend is family time they then work into your remit....

Sounds better than the Geneva motor show ! ( Sorry Nick )

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Our second home is a static in Cornwall "Rosie" our site reopens 1st March...  We go down every Friday for the weekend unless the weather is horrendous...  Family first.... 

A lot of customers want to collect at the weekend, but as soon as you tell them I work all week 6am to 9pm, the weekend is family time they then work into your remit....

Cookie with gas (and a drop of cider) there Arfur... Well getting this work life spot on for you and the family. Only way to do it. ;)

I haven’t worked for a long long time.

I don’t do 6am. 

I like what I do, it’s somewhere between a hobby and an obsession and I can only switch off of it if I am away so I travel quite often. 

I’ve had an office job years ago. The hardest £1700 per month I’ve ever earned. I now consider myself completely unemployable. 

5 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I don’t do 6am. 

I like what I do, it’s somewhere between a hobby and an obsession and I can only switch off of it if I am away so I travel quite often. 

I’ve had an office job years ago. The hardest £1700 per month I’ve ever earned. I now consider myself completely unemployable. 

Ditto 

5 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I don’t do 6am. 

Do what you like doing and you'll never "work" again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Do what you like doing and you'll never "work" again.

The amount of times I get asked when am I going to retire, I am and have been for years. I just happen to get paid for my retirement hobby.

15 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

F me!

I wouldn't do 7 days a week.

Your sole purpose of being on earth isnt to work...

"You work to live. You don't live to work" 

:lol:

I read a review left on AD's AT page. Someone was moaning about AD not being able to do a viewing on a Sunday. AD replied "i work hard for my family and they deserve to spend time with me"

:)

ECJ you probably still have ‘public sector mentality ‘. I usually followed the rule,you can be successfull by working half days but you must work every day..........That way,the other 12 hours are yours.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

ECJ you probably still have ‘public sector mentality ‘. I usually followed the rule,you can be successfull by working half days but you must work every day..........That way,the other 12 hours are yours.

But, what is successful?

4 hours ago, trade vet said:

ECJ you probably still have ‘public sector mentality ‘

+1. 

2 hours ago, Screenman said:

But, what is successful?

To be better at what you do than most other people that do it and to be rewarded accordingly of course.

3 hours ago, Screenman said:

But, what is successful?

In our job ? When you are on a good run,full pitch,no debt and you are knocking them out.I recall I used to love going in on Sundays when you knew you would do at least 5 or coming home knackered having done 10.Getting in at 11 having driven back a long way from some far away auction and you have bought a wagon load of good stock.....Past glories Unfortunately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trade vet said:

6 hours ago, trade vet said:

21 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

12 hours... Is not enough to be honest. 

I want 7 to 8 for sleep. Technically 1/3 of our life we are supposed to sleep. Those that dont and work all hours God sends generally dont last long one way or the other.

Working 12hrs a day for 7 = 84 hours a week. Way too much!

I just want enough to survive on to be honest. You can live a comfortable life with £2000 a month. 

Why make all that money? Even in public sector people work into their 70s to "enjoy their retirement" what retirement is there at 70+? You're on your last legs... And you will leave all that dosh for some inconsiderate family members :lol:

I remember some consultants used to be on £800 per day they stayed for 18 months clearing well over £250k. Yet they drove Ford Fiestas and ate from Greggs. They moaned about their holidays...and the flights and that coffee costs a lot on easyjet!!! Why do you need easyjet when you make £4k a week doing jack all... A couple of first class tickets!

Moral of the story is when you make so much you become tight and act like a stingy twat! I rather earn less and live comfortably :lol:

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth

So when you make little you are not tight and you can comfortably afford everything???

Two grand a month? Are you f****** kidding me???

• Like 1

That’s low ambition IMO - £2k a week is what I need/want to do the things I do and if I do genuinely enjoy trying to earn that, how is that likely to limit my life?

If I wasn’t selling cars for a living, I would more than likely be tinkering anyway as a hobby, this way I enjoy and earn.

9 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Did you mean £2k a day? Only need to sell half a car for that mr @EPV

To earn that, I need to sell 12 cars just for the record.

At usual margins, 8 covers everything I need but a steady 12 per month is where I want to be - record is 12 so far but got some big plans happening to achieve 12 reliably. 

33 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

That’s low ambition IMO - £2k a week is what I need/want to do the things I do and if I do genuinely enjoy trying to earn that, how is that likely to limit my life?

If I wasn’t selling cars for a living, I would more than likely be tinkering anyway as a hobby, this way I enjoy and earn.

Bloody edit button has gone again - I meant to earn £2k/week not a day :rolleyes:

Sorry, I mean 12 per month

Mark, increase the margins, reduce the stock volume, don’t set targets in units per month but in £. 

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Mark, increase the margins, reduce the stock volume, don’t set targets in units per month but in £. 

Exactly this, don't be a busy fool, sell less with bigger margins ;)

A bonus to this is even if you get a Car that comes back for a big repair you are very unlikely to lose any money on it ;) 

8 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Nick, my margins are probably a lot higher than most people but I don't bank on finance comms - I treat any add-ons (extended warranty, finance etc) as a bonus - that is purely out of the metal.

By the way, I do set my target in £ it just happens to equate to around 10 cars per month but I always have contingency.

Edited by Mark101

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

In our job ? When you are on a good run,full pitch,no debt and you are knocking them out.I recall I used to love going in on Sundays when you knew you would do at least 5 or coming home knackered having done 10.Getting in at 11 having driven back a long way from some far away auction and you have bought a wagon load of good stock.....Past glories Unfortunately.

Then getting out of the rat run at 33 and slowing down to enjoy other interests.

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

So when you make little you are not tight and you can comfortably afford everything???

Two grand a month? Are you f****** kidding me???

Got no mortgage. 

Got a house. Just need food on the table to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Did you mean £2k a day? Only need to sell half a car for that mr @EPV

As this becomes the problem. When do you call it a day?

But am not putting in the hours like you guys are. Most of you are on 60hours plus a week!

So when do you get the time to spend it? ;)

51 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

:lol:

With current auction prices... Only way this can be achieved is by increasing your retail... And if that's too high your phone will be dead:ph34r:

I’m gradually increasing my stock value for many reasons but mainly:

higher margin

finance comms (considered a bonus)

decent swappers

and

hopefully less initial recon and future claims.

20 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Got no mortgage. 

Got a house. Just need food on the table to be honest.

So for you £2k is a realistic income, you’re lucky - for many whom still have mortgages (I have 3) that isn’t possible.

Come retirement though, presuming I am healthy enough - my high borrowings will literally pay dividends.

Set high targets and aim for them, otherwise may as well collect trolleys in Tesco. Nothing wrong with that but there’s a lot I want to do and see and that doesn’t pay enough, so I’ve got to gamble.

41 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Come retirement though, presuming I am healthy enough - 

there’s a lot I want to do and see and that doesn’t pay enough, so I’ve got to gamble.

Exactly my point. 

Too many have this "come retirement" mentality yet most work into their graves. Fact is whatever job you do people dont give in they keep at it until long as possible. 

By "retirement" most people have a lot of illnesses. So you're limited. 

( That is if you make it that far. Seen a lot of people die in their 50s and even 40s! )

Plus you spent most of your life with that attitude of work hard... Its embedded in your system and it cannot be overridden!

I rather enjoy life now whilst i can. 

Aiming high is counterproductive. Once you reached the goal... You'll move the posts further away.....its a reoccurring process.

Over the years I seen other people and how they knacker themselves out. 

If you got no health the wealth is no good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

I rather enjoy life now whilst i can. 

Aiming high is counterproductive. Once you reached the goal... You'll move the posts further away.....its a reoccurring process.

Over the years I seen other people and how they knacker themselves out. 

If you got no health the wealth is no good.

Ditto, I've been like that since I got Divorced at 40, do as little as I can now for as much as possible, and do what I want when I want :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Ditto, I've been like that since I got Divorced at 40, do as little as I can now for as much as possible, and do what I want when I want :lol:

Divorces do happen due to lack of family time. Hence a lot of coppers have been married at least twice...

I dont how those that work 12hrs a day fit in family time. If you squeeze in family time then you're losing out on your sleep / rest which if you dont get you'll be getting a lot of health problems. 

This is the life span of a typical man in the UK

Pre 20s - doss about at college

20 to 30s mess around with women

30 to 40 find some proper employment as you think you're getting on a bit

40 to 70 you work like a donkey and all you think about is money....

70+ your half dead thinking you're bored at home with the wife... And you start work again... Albeit you cannot hold your piss in! :lol: