Sign in to follow this  
Beechwood

SAAB Huge Suprise

Hi Guys,

Would really like your thoughts on this, just been reading the thread on Mot before or after sale and the comment on the £1m question with answer d Pay the mot tester!!.

Last summer needed a work horse  estate for my brother he only uses cheepies for his work and always relies on me to get him something, possibly something to do with he never pays for them, but hey what are big brothers for  .Went down my local auction for a browse as I was there this very respectble Saab 95 estate turns up, local main dealer done the knotts but turns out full history every 6000 miles and as straight as a gun barrell, lovely inside and nice under the bonnet and in the boot and sonded as sweet as nut. Thought that is ideal, these old things are bullett proof ,Checked Mot history all lovely no advisories and 6 months left on current Mot. Bought the old thing , had to give too much but least it turned out to drive lovely a ton of history , spare keys etc a really genuine looked after car. Brother duly took delivery ,  totally free of charge and uses said car for 5 months sweet as a nut.

Now here is the BUT, brother now put car in for Mot and I remember the call total disbelief car has been totally condemed for corrossion and certainly not worth attempting to save, but the point is absolutely no mention of any corrossion on any of the previous Mots and this level of rust does not happen in a few months, shame because it was a good old car, your thoughts on how and why .

Thanks

mot tester needs the donkey out of it so has failed it and offered a monkey to take off brothers hands

get second opinion on the corrosion first

• Like 1

Smoked a few 95 over the year, estates aero and diesels.. Corrosion isnt something I have come across, oil starvation, heating fans different story.. Some of my engine work is done by an Indi GRG and the owner is ex SAAB trained, 40 years on the buggers.. he is also regional chair of the local SAAB club.. corrosion is not something he talks about in these cars, especially pre GM vehicles which the 95 will be.. I'd get that second opinion.. 

Maybe the MOT wants it for himself.. "those that know dont let them go!"

Edited by Area 51

Had plenty go from no advisories to rot as a pear from MOT to MOT but Saab stuff is usually pretty solid, at least not known for rotting out as far as i'm aware.

A lot of testers give you the idea it’s rotten through when the truth is it just needs a plate or two welding on. Depends where you take them. Some don’t see rust that often.

my fav is “underside showing minor corrosion”... it’s 12 years old d***head

I've had two cars recently with recent Main Dealer MOT's (within 3 months)....... I've re-mot'd it and the brake pipes  / ferrules and been DANGEROUS and I mean about to burst......... Just saying...

I make sure everyone of my cars goes out safe, that's MY responsibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I've had two cars recently with recent Main Dealer MOT's (within 3 months)....... I've re-mot'd it and the brake pipes  / ferrules and been DANGEROUS and I mean about to burst......... Just saying...

I make sure everyone of my cars goes out safe, that's MY responsibility.

That’s because arfur the main dealers can’t make any money out of these jobs, and their techs can’t do brake pipes as it involves a little fabrication of parts. 

41 minutes ago, Stalker said:

That’s because arfur the main dealers can’t make any money out of these jobs, and their techs can’t do brake pipes as it involves a little fabrication of parts. 

The thing is, the public believe them.... whether they are robbing or ducking...

21 hours ago, Beechwood said:

Now here is the BUT, brother now put car in for Mot and I remember the call total disbelief car has been totally condemed for corrossion and certainly not worth attempting to save, but the point is absolutely no mention of any corrossion on any of the previous Mots and this level of rust does not happen in a few months, shame because it was a good old car, your thoughts on how and why .

This is screaming out for second opinion.

We often point out to our customers. 8 times out of 10 its not the car thats the problem, Its the garage youre using.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tony F said:

We often point out to our customers. 8 times out of 10 its not the car thats the problem, Its the garage youre using.

Absolutely agree, I have to do this with new customers on a daily basis at the moment, I'm now in the 3rd year of opening up my Workshop to the public and just getting busier and busier :)

I bought a Clio other day got 11months mot. The brake discs were fused to the hub and pads at 1mm worst of all was the one bolt on caliper.. same joker replaced the steering rack without any calibration. The young girl who I got car from gave me receipts. no wonder he is cheap at 35 per hour .I feel like phoning this joker as it's beyond a joke passing a car like that.

98D61FC2-A1C6-439E-B422-A6D9326EC63F.jpeg

On 23/02/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tony F said:

This is screaming out for second opinion.

In my earlier days of not trading i used to use a council mot garage. 

Aside from staff discount you'd get an "honest" mot as the guys there were on a salary. So if they did 0 mots they'd get the same pay as if they did 500. 

Plus they never sold any services or repairs. So it was a straightforward mot. 

I always recommend my punters to a council mot station. 

I remember once one con private tester said my emissions were sky high and he charged me an additonal £60 for some "special" potion that would reduce my emission...ended up costing me £90.

Following year i went to a council station. Passed with flying colours and was told emissions are very low!

2 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

I remember once one con private tester said my emissions were sky high and he charged me an additonal £60 for some "special" potion that would reduce my emission...ended up costing me £90.

Following year i went to a council station. Passed with flying colours and was told emissions are very low!

That potion clearly worked very well - bargain.

• Like 1