Been to Autotrader Master class today at an amazing venue , if you want to take someone special away this is the place, its virtually on my door step but never realised - well worth a visit for a day if you're in the area

:http://www.peckfortoncastle.co.uk/ 

They mentioned a company in the US offering the simplicity of buying a USED car on line , complete transaction and delivered to your door , which on the face of it doest seem amazing , as I'm sure we've all supplied cars like this - but they also offer a 7 day ' test drive period' - not only that they promote you to read their ' worst reviews ( Very cleaver idea - reverse psychology!)

http://www.carvana.com/

here is one of their promotional videos :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvDUf1ydGoo

Thoughts ? 

• Like 2

Very interesting Umesh, these guys have been mentioned a few times at events recently from various keynote speakers etc. and they are one of a number US operations entering the UK from the whole process facility to a pure challenger to AT.

After watching the Rockar webinar this week and how they are attempting to identify and engage with consumers, certainly question how the landscape looks long term.  We can't ignore however, the various diverse solutions over recent years, that have attempted to offer buyers new ways to buy a car and failed?

I'm sure depending on which sector of the market you operate within, the responses to this could certainly vary.

p.s. that's definitely a little hidden gem near you -  I bet you've booked your Murder Mystery night already :-) 

It's just like we do now offering free nationwide delivery on certain cars or vans as most of us have done in the past and will continue to do in the future, my only concern with a 7 day test drive is how do we distinguish between the genuine customers and the ones who just need to hire a car free of charge for a few days and are trying it on. Pay in full up front, get 7 days free drive away insurance, do whatever they need a car for in, then say sorry not for me and get a full refund, then the following week do the same to another garage and so on. Strict terms and conditions regarding damage and mileage combined with a register connecting all of the garages partaking in any such scheme to weed out the scammers from the genuine customers would be needed IMO for a 7 day test drive to have any chance of working properly for us dealers. 

• Like 1

Once lent a car out for a weekend test drive (manufacturer campaign). Customer asked if he could use it to take wife out for dinner. No prob we said, enjoy the car and the meal! He brought car back on Monday, 620 miles later, and said it was nice, but not for him. In the passenger door pocket was a menu for a Chinese takeaway 250 miles away.

He knows how to treat a lady, eh?

Test drives are 2 hours max now. That's plenty of time to see if the seat's comfy.

Once lent a car out for a weekend test drive (manufacturer campaign). Customer asked if he could use it to take wife out for dinner. No prob we said, enjoy the car and the meal! He brought car back on Monday, 620 miles later, and said it was nice, but not for him. In the passenger door pocket was a menu for a Chinese takeaway 250 miles away.

He knows how to treat a lady, eh?

Test drives are 2 hours max now. That's plenty of time to see if the seat's comfy.

​I bet it was cold by the time he got it home....................cold Chinese okay in the morning after a night out!! 

I think cap should hold a simple competition and the top 10 winners should get an all expenses paid weekend away with the missus at their expense on the next murder mystery weekend to reward us all. Go on Phil see what you can arrange.

It's just like we do now offering free nationwide delivery on certain cars or vans as most of us have done in the past and will continue to do in the future, my only concern with a 7 day test drive is how do we distinguish between the genuine customers and the ones who just need to hire a car free of charge for a few days and are trying it on. Pay in full up front, get 7 days free drive away insurance, do whatever they need a car for in, then say sorry not for me and get a full refund, then the following week do the same to another garage and so on. Strict terms and conditions regarding damage and mileage combined with a register connecting all of the garages partaking in any such scheme to weed out the scammers from the genuine customers would be needed IMO for a 7 day test drive to have any chance of working properly for us dealers. 

​Agreed! 

Having seen what people can do with cheap electrical goods with a 30 day returns policy, both in what they do and what they expect there is no way a 7 day test drive should be a free for all on a used car. Having said that I currently have a Nissan Leaf sitting on the drive as part of a 4 day Nissan demo.

If you check out the American dealers website although it says 7days test drive what it actually is , is a 7 day money back guarantee, so if for what ever reason the customer doesn't like the car they get there money back within that time period, however I'm sure that you could put some kind of mileage restriction on it too! 

I think as an industry if we all stopped worrying about what could go wrong and start adopting some of the great ideas out there like this I think that is the only way forward in the next 10years! No it's not for every customer and agree you will have one or two taking advantage of the situation which we already have anyway , but it wouldn't necessarily mean another owner on the v5 as you can tax the car in their name but delay sending the v5 for 30 days, now I know that works already as we have tried it! 

So it will only be for those of you brave enough to join the forward thinking motortrade for the others just sit back and watch and think in 5 years time " I wish I had done that"

Jim