Paul5

Hello

Hi all

Just a quick hello and brief intro from another new 'dealer', well trader as it's from my drive! 

Very little experience but keen to learn, in the full understanding this may cost, but not as much as Uni nowadays! 

Looking at having 1-2 cars at a time in the 1-4k region sold from driveway. 

Been going to BCA for a few weeks to watch, got gold membership now so ready to go! 

Nothing to ask here just saying hello, but rest assured I'll have loads of silly questions! 

Paul 

Hi Paul, thanks for the intro, welcome:) Do you have any experience in the trade at all, what is your career background and what made you chose to become a trader ? AD

• Like 1

Hi Arfur, I've no experience save for buying and selling cars for mine and the ex Wife's personal use. Always done well in that, sourcing a car, using for 1-3 years and selling for around what I paid. I enjoyed the hunt for them and so thought I'd give it a try, low value so lower possible profit but also as I see it lower risk, and all experience! 

Oh and taking off the ex, she has me by the balls for the next 2 years so if I don't make much money but gain lots of experience then all the better!!! 

Hi Paul, welcome. 

How did you manage to get gold membership at bca? How many cars have you purchased from them? 

• Like 1

Hi Del Boy, I'd been a few times and spoke to someone. Told them I anticipated buying 20+ cars per year. They put me on silver and said they'd put me to gold if I got trade insurance, which I did. 

Hi Paul

The guys on here will get you up and running and will give you valuable advice.You will learn a lot just looking at previous posts.Ask plenty of questions.Good Luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Del Boy said:

Hi Paul, welcome. 

How did you manage to get gold membership at bca? How many cars have you purchased from them? 

Hey Del, 

Someone else posted up about bca Enfield offering a trial of gold membership if you agree to buying 3 cars within the first 3 months. 

A pal of mine contacted Enfield quoting this and they offered him the same deal. 

So worth a call to them and ask if they will do the same as the fees are a nice bit cheaper. 

BTW, welcome Paul and good luck with your start up matey. 

Edited by Linctrader
  • Like 1

i cant imagine a worse time since julius caesar  

put the cart tax up  by 3 groats 

to start a s/h car business pre brexit when diesel is dead and anything with half a chance of making a doughnut is doing whizzo money is madness

so i wish you well but watch those auctions,they aint anyones friends other than the plc big hitters

• Like 1

Welcome! Plenty of useful and friendly help here... I'd suggest going into the old posts with a warm drink and you will find loads of answers and knowledge FOC!

Most topics are covered.. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi, Welcome :)

Just my 2p worth, if I were you especially considering the volume you intend to do I would avoid Auctions like the plague.

From what I read on here there is little NET profit to be had from purchasing what usually turns out to be a low spec overpriced car with problems, otherwise it would be retailed in the first instance !!

Better to find honest privates selling something they have been quoted dealer telephone numbers to fix, and then using a good honest garage or DIY to fix them to a high standard and make a killing .............

In a nutshell, buy for peanuts, be shrewd as to repair and prep costs & sell for big ££££££££££££££

If you want to see how not to do it read the "Mates" threads ;)

Oh and yeah love the Ex / "I got no income" bit, I did that for a year before it was all finalised ;)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Paul

The guys on here will get you up and running and will give you valuable advice.You will learn a lot just looking at previous posts.Ask plenty of questions.Good Luck.

What this man said.

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Hi, Welcome :)

Just my 2p worth, if I were you especially considering the volume you intend to do I would avoid Auctions like the plague.

From what I read on here there is little NET profit to be had from purchasing what usually turns out to be a low spec overpriced car with problems, otherwise it would be retailed in the first instance !!

Better to find honest privates selling something they have been quoted dealer telephone numbers to fix, and then using a good honest garage or DIY to fix them to a high standard and make a killing .............

In a nutshell, buy for peanuts, be shrewd as to repair and prep costs & sell for big ££££££££££££££

If you want to see how not to do it read the "Mates" threads ;)

Oh and yeah love the Ex / "I got no income" bit, I did that for a year before it was all finalised ;)

And what this man said.

Good luck with it all mate.

• Like 1

A big thank you to you all for your words of wisdom and best wishes, much appreciated. 

Yes welcome Paul to the Rollercoaster - share your success and failures, it helps to have this team with you.

3 hours ago, DPF said:

Welcome Paul.

Thanks DPF

51 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Yes welcome Paul to the Rollercoaster - share your success and failures, it helps to have this team with you.

Will do Mark, hopefully more of the former but I am not so naive as to think there won't be some of the latter! 

You will win some and lose some. But if you do things properly you will win a hell of a lot more than you lose.

I intend to do things right and will be selling as a trader & not 'for a friend' etc.

11 hours ago, lastyboy said:

You will win some and lose some. But if you do things properly you will win a hell of a lot more than you lose.

10 hours ago, Paul5 said:

I intend to do things right and will be selling as a trader & not 'for a friend' etc.

/\ /\ /\ Absolutely spot on :)

• Like 1

Just wanted to say wow, I am very grateful to everyone here. Had so much help & good advice here & on my other threads, thank you everyone, so kind of you all & it really is very much appreciated. 

yes youve had your quoto for the month so go and buy some shite now like the rest of us have

default_laugh.png

Haha! I bought my first last week! A little Smart, which I thought was not so Smart when it kept coming out of gear and going into neutral, wouldn't then engage gear, got it home in auto and then it started kangarooing, clutch slipping. Rang around and told clutch & /or actuator, oh shit £500 plus, thought great start! 

Diagnosis, faults cleared Monday and so far none returned. Guy said common with these when they need jump start so as it was from BCA it probably did! 

Thanks tradex, I'll consider that actually. 

In the meantime got to BCA BB and bought another within 20 minutes! 2009 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Style, 75k £1850. 

2 hours ago, Paul5 said:

Thanks tradex, I'll consider that actually. 

In the meantime got to BCA BB and bought another within 20 minutes! 2009 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Style, 75k £1850. 

£1850 inc fees ?