NITM

Just sales or anything else..

January is always a quiet month for me, never have much luck buying/selling many (Prices at auctions today were retail prices :blink:).. So i was wondering does anyone on here do anything else when car sales are slow? My vehicle recovery side of the business fairly helps me at this time of year, does anyone else do recovery etc ? 

Edited by NITM

2 minutes ago, NITM said:

So i was wondering does anyone on here do anything else when car sales are slow?

I spend a couple of hours a day contributing to this forum. 

I also got all my stock through all their outstanding recalls from BMW. 

I go skiing every other weekend so I am not tempted to reduce prices just because it's cold and slow :-)

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I go skiing every other weekend so I am not tempted to reduce prices just because it's cold and slow :-)

Sounds good.. I never reduce prices especially at this time of year as i find it hard to replace stock in Jan/Feb.. it always picks up though!

20 minutes ago, NITM said:

Sounds good.. I never reduce prices especially at this time of year as i find it hard to replace stock in Jan/Feb.. it always picks up though!

Bloody hope it picks up, phone hasn't rang in 2 weeks now. Had 2 gone in the first 4 days of Jan, one came back for a warranty claim though. Get the odd email offering £750-1K less but that's it!

Think i'll start offering my manly services to all the lonely ladies to prop the car sales up when its quiet :D

• Like 2

January always pretty good for us. 18 so far (with no Autoraper bills). Buying is a bit harder though, you’re right there. 

Same as Nick- too much time on here and also trade websites, eBay etc.

I walk the dogs mostly when quiet. I’ve often racked my brains of something else I could do. A workshop plugged on the side of the Sales is the way to go as every place I use is always very busy (good ones anyway). 

3 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Bloody hope it picks up, phone hasn't rang in 2 weeks now. Had 2 gone in the first 4 days of Jan, one came back for a warranty claim though. Get the odd email offering £750-1K less but that's it!

Think i'll start offering my manly services to all the lonely ladies to prop the car sales up when its quiet :D

:lol: .. I've barely had a phone call all January and any calls I've got have been insulting offers or people offering over priced px's so i know how you feel! 

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

January always pretty good for us. 18 so far (with no Autoraper bills). Buying is a bit harder though, you’re right there. 

Same as Nick- too much time on here and also trade websites, eBay etc.

I walk the dogs mostly when quiet. I’ve often racked my brains of something else I could do. A workshop plugged on the side of the Sales is the way to go as every place I use is always very busy (good ones anyway). 

Happy times, 18 is fantastic especially for Jan! Yeah id say we're all the same trying to think of something to do when its quiet, but a workshop would be nice for sure. 

8 minutes ago, NITM said:

:lol: .. I've barely had a phone call all January and any calls I've got have been insulting offers or people offering over priced px's so i know how you feel! 

Happy times, 18 is fantastic especially for Jan! Yeah id say we're all the same trying to think of something to do when its quiet, but a workshop would be nice for sure. 

Have 30 odd in stock and costs associated with having a site, so it is OK but used to do loads more a month. 

Others on here like ‘Super-Rory’ do much better numbers and are braver than I. :o)

Everone gets their turn though, so chin up! It’ll happen. 

18 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Mikey- can we help critique your ads maybe? Another pair of eyes can often spot something you might not.  Where do you advertise?

44 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Skiing every other weekend,you might want to delete that Nick.Unless you are using your local artificial ski slope ( as in Eddie the Eagle ) I can think of one government organisation who are very interested in their customers lifestyles.

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

I can think of one government organisation who are very interested in their customers lifestyles.

For the benefit of anyone curious about the economics of this* (*pre-Brexit): 

return Ryanair fare to Plovdiv, Bulgaria (my home town), £80-£90 including two cabin bags

transport to resort: Free (I have my own car there)

accomodation: Free (A friend has an apartment)

3 day ski-lift pass £76

meals out £30-£40 for the three days

Knowing I didn't drop any of my prices during the slowdown: Priceless. 

Knowing that after 14 years of working like mad, 12 hour days, 7 days in most weeks I can do this: Even more priceless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Skiing every other weekend,you might want to delete that Nick.Unless you are using your local artificial ski slope ( as in Eddie the Eagle ) I can think of one government organisation who are very interested in their customers lifestyles.

We really need to get you some new happy pills TV! 

You can’t take it with you, and you’re a long time dead- so good on him enjoying himself I say. Plus I know for definite he works a damn site harder and travels a damn site more than me each week  

However, I’d rather be at home or work, but I’m a misery too and happy being so. Enjoyment is over-rated. ;o)

11 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

return Ryanair fare to Plovdiv, Bulgaria (my home town), £80-£90 including two cabin bags

3 day ski-lift pass £76

Knowing that after 14 years of working like mad, 12 hour days, 7 days in most weeks I can do this: Even more priceless.

TV, I don’t really see why you are challenging NIk. 

It costs me more taking my boys down to my van at at Newquay for a weekend and I’ll be doing it every weekend from April. We are all entitled to family and leisure time, it shouldn’t be questioned. 

Nik, make the most of the slopes whilst you can. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It costs me more taking my boys down to my van at at Newquay for a weekend and I’ll be doing it every weekend from April. We are all entitled to family and leisure time, it shouldn’t be questioned. 

Ditto

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I only have another couple of weekends left with decent conditions, the first weekend of Feb I am taking 7 Brits from our village. Depending on how that goes I can organise a car-dealer only ski trip next year for those that 1) ski or 2) enjoy £1 pints of beer in winter conditions :-) 

49 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Have 30 odd in stock and costs associated with having a site, so it is OK but used to do loads more a month. 

Others on here like ‘Super-Rory’ do much better numbers and are braver than I. :o)

Everone gets their turn though, so chin up! It’ll happen. 

Mikey- can we help critique your ads maybe? Another pair of eyes can often spot something you might not.  Where do you advertise?

On Autotrader, I'll start up a new thread so this one doesn't get swamped! 

4 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I only have another couple of weekends left with decent conditions, the first weekend of Feb I am taking 7 Brits from our village. Depending on how that goes I can organise a car-dealer only ski trip next year for those that 1) ski or 2) enjoy £1 pints of beer in winter conditions :-) 

33 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

3 day ski-lift pass £76

Wonderfull.Nick that’s better than the travel guy on BBC.Bulgarian tourist board probably needs you to help them do their marketing.

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

Bulgarian tourist board probably needs you to help them do their marketing.

They wish they could afford me :-)

33 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

We really need to get you some new happy pills TV! 

You can’t take it with you, and you’re a long time dead- so good on him enjoying himself I say. Plus I know for definite he works a damn site harder and travels a damn site more than me each week  

However, I’d rather be at home or work, but I’m a misery too and happy being so. Enjoyment is over-rated. ;o)

You are right of course Noacross,I am just thinking like the average inspector.One of them said to me that he was very interested in lifestyle,he got very bored later when he realised we worked all day and every day.

28 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I agree,I am not challenging,it is just that weekends skiing abroad sounds like £3000 to the people I am referring to.

HI Nik, I'm off to Pamporovo on the 8th for a long weekend with a couple of friends, one of whom bought an apartment years ago when they were quite cheap. They will ski, I will not... I can zig but not zag.!!!   Without skiing I'm still really looking forward to going..

35 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I can ski and I can drink - I drink much better than I ski but I ski much better when I have had a drink.

Hi Tim, Pamporovo is where I go. Will be there from 1 to 4 Feb so will just miss you. 

The best night club (and it’s not dear nor fancy) is Plan B in The Perelik Hotel. You might as well try it if you don’t need to be out at 8:45 to catch the first lift up. 

10 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I agree,I am not challenging,it is just that weekends skiing abroad sounds like £3000 to the people I am referring to.

TV, stop being a doomer...  :)

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

3 day ski-lift pass £76

Love the last bit (and plan in general). I started a business in 2006, and from 2007-2011 ran that alongside a 3 day per week job, regularly pulling 16 hour days, 3-5 days per week, plus living without luxuries as we ploughed everything into the firm. It paid off and sold up 2 years ago. Friends think I’m lucky but they didn’t see the work it took to make that “luck”. 

Enjoying the fruits of our labours is something we all deserve given the hours put in over the years.

Edited by CCC

Having not long landed from USA managed to get flights to Tenerife for a whopping fiver return so off again whoop whoop 

Tenner for flights 

my own apartment zero

my own transport zero 

maybe spend £250 on food 

hmrc do your worst 

• Like 3

Last time I went skiing I ended up being airlifted off the side of an Austrian mountain after "pizza wedging" wasn't slowing me down...... :wacko:

• Like 1