Sign in to follow this  
David Ayers

Legal or not

I know we have spoken before about admin fees. In particular about adding a fee for Carfinance 24/7 customers, which I understood you can't do unless all your customers are paying the same.

I saw this on Car Giants website. Is it clever or illegal?

To ensure we can offer all our customers the best value we have tailored our administration fee to our customer's individual circumstances. This fee is a compulsory fee and applies to all our cars depending on your below circumstances:

• Retail customer Admin Fee £199
  • Returning retail customer purchasing within a 12 month period Admin Fee £0
  • Returning retail customer purchasing in between 13- 24 month period Admin Fee £99
  • Export Customer Admin Fee £199
  • Retail Customer using a finance broker outside our official panel of lenders Fee £399
  • Motoring Trade Customers Admin Fee £699.

Visit Cargiant's T&Cs for further information. Your statutory rights are not affected.

I notice Big Motoring World, who used to do a similar thing, have dropped their admin fees.

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

I notice Big Motoring World, who used to do a similar thing, have dropped their admin fees.

Their fees were out of this world, only BCA private buyers pay more! I am surprised they have dropped them completely. 

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Motoring Trade Customers Admin Fee £699

This is an absolute outrage, like showing the trade "the finger". Not that any trade customer would ever want the CarGiant "no prep-mega mile-basic spec" lease returns... 

• Like 1

20 years ago The Great Trade Centre ( now called Car Giant) always charged an admin fee which I think was then £99.Also,finance applications were £50 but refunded if the sale went through.I see it’s £399 now if you get your own finance.Whatever they are doing will be legal,these guys are switched on.They have been top of the league for many years.

Personally i think its a load of crap and regardless of how you spin it none of it of treating customers/traders fairly.

You do less work if a customers takes 3rd party finance as really all you need to do is generate an invoice, no proofs, no docs to sign, no legal scripts to cover so the only reason you charge a higher fee is your being pissy about no being able to sell a customer into your finance and you've been beaten on the rate or by someone who can sell better then you.

They are just fees to generate question's

"so if i take your finance and not 24/7 then my admin fee is less ??"  

"yes Mr customer let me get you a quote"

customer thinks they are saving money but still get slapped with a GAP and extended warranty. 

New year same shit ... 

• Like 1

Hi Tadams,

You may think it is crap,but Car Giant sell 1000 cars per week from one site,produce descent profits year in year out.How good is that,can you imagine the volume of headaches.I may be wrong,but I think it is the biggest used car pitch in the world.

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Tadams,

You may think it is crap,but Car Giant sell 1000 cars per week from one site,produce descent profits year in year out.How good is that,can you imagine the volume of headaches.I may be wrong,but I think it is the biggest used car pitch in the world.

A crazy business model! I would bet being a salesman there is fun though, I love it when our pitch is heaving, theirs must be like a conveyor belt of commission!

Do you know their background? How they got going?

5 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

A crazy business model! I would bet being a salesman there is fun though, I love it when our pitch is heaving, theirs must be like a conveyor belt of commission!

Do you know their background? How they got going?

I don’t know them or how they started.I just know that it used to be impossible to bid against them.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Hi Tadams,

Hey, 

Not knocking their business model at all its a cracking one, I've been down a couple of times and the sites never ending... some say you can see it from space on a clear day (disclaimer i'm not sure if that's true :P)

It is not that big, certainly not as big as BCA Blackbushe. They did buy up a lot of neighbouring land nad have planning permission for 5 billion (yes!!!) worth of residential development in what could become a prime West London location (if you don’t mind the world the world famous Wormwood Scrubs prison nearby)

I need an Edit button