Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

When the phone rings off the hook...

When I started selling cars in 2005 I would often buy for £300 and sell for £700 and was quite used to the phones ringing all the time. Now when most of my cars are much dearer and certainly no bargain I get very few phone calls. One call, deposit and/or appointment to view, sold. I much prefer it this way tbh.

Every now and then I will advertise something and the phone will ring on it every hour, even more often sometimes. When this happens I always want to increase the price until the calls reduce. I know that many calls not always mean a quick sale but am I right in wanting more money with so many calls (if I don't NEED a super quick sale)?

Yep i often get told by so called green eyed colleges in the trade i am to dear, i just smile and say thanks.

I think our job is a bit like prostitution: no operator likes to be cheap or god forbid THE CHEAPEST

Always worried the price needs re-evaluating if the phone’s going mad!

On the subject of calls-it’s definitely less frequently ringing than the email is pinging nowadays. Only calls seem to be people who have bought or emailed or virtually got in touch previously. 

When the phone rings off the hook....

...sit down and prepare for the screams

(we're mostly email now...get more calls from card operators than punters)

Yup I prefer the odd call now and again rather than all at once, the phone constantly ringing annoys me to the point I’ll start to ignore it eventually if it’s all for the same car.

Dont get me wrong it’s great to get good interest in something but it stresses me out and gets confusing when I have loads of punters wanting to view at the same time and asking the same questions over and over and trying to remember what I’ve told to who.

When I started I used to think it was great to get loads of calls, I'd found the right thing to sell. Then it dawned on me any more than one call means it's too cheap.  I've always found its the most unusual stuff that attracts the most calls.

When the phone starts,you know you are going to sell so you just make sure you pick the right deal.Good swapper or lump of chucky or both.If you have repeat customers you cannot make excuses and increase prices,you will never see them again.

I do agree if you get something different,they are usually the ones.We once got a LWB Transit Tipper by default,the response was rediculous and the phone never stopped.Another one was an early petrol Merc GWagon ex Police but civilian spec and a thirsty big lump.The first punter to phone pleaded for us not to sell it to anyone else,we thought he was mad.He wasn’t and he explained to us how rare and desirable they were ( over 20 years ago).

If you want the phone phone to melt have your Ebay account hacked and loads of cheap cars advertised on your account, that does the job, trust me :angry:

My old man (died this year) has a GP2 SWB on a 58 beetle chassis.

I remember when he bought it out of the local Nissan Dealer he bought out of where it had come in PX. I was about 13 (now 46). Lovely thing in its original green gel coat over black with BF chunky rear wheels and original five stud beetle fronts. 

After leaving it outside for about ten years at least (with a cheap cover on)  then eventually putting it in the garage after clearing a load of hoarded junk out-he later decided in his infinite wisdom to ‘restore’ it. Long story short-ruined it by painting it matt metallic pink that looks like it’s been rollered on: it’s now lurched in their garage(shed really) covered in said boarded crap, and I hadn’t gone in there for donkey’s until recently, when I shook my head and closed the door again...

6 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

My old man (died this year)

Small world. Mine too (aged 69). Condolences. 

Ironically I inherited his car that I had bought as a gift for him in 2009. A 2003 Passat TDI in "Fresco Green". Probably because of that colour I picked it up really cheap. We drove it to Bulgaria together. As soon as we entered Germany late in the evening the alternator belt broke. We got off the autobahn in Aachen and parked it right outside the local VW dealership. Stayed the night in a very nice hotel, everything was paid by the AA under my European breakdown policy, VW fixed it the next morning just after breakfast. 140 Euros and the AA reimbursed me almost everything. I have that long road trip as a very good memory. The car still goes strong in BG, I use it on my ski trips. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Ironically I inherited his car that I had bought as a gift for him in 2009. A 2003 Passat TDI in "Fresco Green". Probably because of that colour I picked it up really cheap. We drove it to Bulgaria together. As soon as we entered Germany late in the evening the alternator belt broke. We got off the autobahn in Aachen and parked it right outside the local VW dealership. Stayed the night in a very nice hotel, everything was paid by the AA under my European breakdown policy, VW fixed it the next morning just after breakfast. 140 Euros and the AA reimbursed me almost everything. I have that long road trip as a very good memory. The car still goes strong in BG, I use it on my ski trips. 

What a cool memory! If I had a like button...

My old man always used to make me work on a ‘trip’. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Nice post, mate.