Sign in to follow this  
P118

Car valeting

On 16/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, Nick M.K. said:

I have a Karcher Puzzi specifically for the wet valeting. Probably the best £290 I've spent on a tool. 

Another Karcher WD2200 bought for £30ish from Karcher Outlet does an amazing job as an everyday hoover. Similar to this:

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=5189

+1 for this, especially with the karcher tablets in it.

13 hours ago, sparky said:

Always worth another look :)

:lol::lol::lol:

7 hours ago, EPV said:

Do you still use your Tornador mate? I’m still mulling over getting one to do the whole interior of a car. 

I am guessing a Tornador is some sort of steam cleaner?

6 minutes ago, P118 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I am guessing a Tornador is some sort of steam cleaner?

Compressed air. Have a google mate. 

Search Tornador on YouTube. Cracking bit of kit...:D

9 hours ago, justina3 said:

blasted all the plastics and Bosch smell gone. 

I do hate the smell of those Bosches - Black and Decker much nicer smell. :lol:

6 hours ago, L-P said:

Search Tornador on YouTube. Cracking bit of kit...:D

I assume that’s the same as Autosmart Vortex.

9 hours ago, EPV said:

And what’s it like doing seats and carpets? The videos i’ve watched suggest it can do a very good job of even heavily soiled carpets? 

I'm not so sure about that. For those type of jobs I don't think you can beat hot water, chemical, elbow grease and suction.

That said, I am toying with the idea of getting a full hit steam cleaner like an optima. I'm going to have a demo of one next month as soon as a lovely part ex treasure comes in.

9 hours ago, sparky said:

I'm not so sure about that. For those type of jobs I don't think you can beat hot water, chemical, elbow grease and suction.

That said, I am toying with the idea of getting a full hit steam cleaner like an optima. I'm going to have a demo of one next month as soon as a lovely part ex treasure comes in.

I have a hand held steamer https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=5424&?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsX9_a3d3gIVxrTtCh2j6AxDEAQYBCABEgK0UfD_BwE

I put chemical on first then use the above and you don't have to soak the car inside then get the George on it.

I also succumbed and bought a MAC Drop Revolution, places were wanting a grand plus for a refurb machine but these aren't much more and I know a few businesses who have them and were very impressed, I honestly don't know how I have done without one all these years. www.macinternational.co.uk/media/MAC_Brochure_2016.pdf it is on page 10, might be worth a look at for you.

6 hours ago, tradex said:

Think I'll watch the series this week:D, it's been a while

I have had this broom for twenty years, that's a long time Rodney.

Well it's two decades

I wouldn't go that far but it's a long time.

Priceless

I’ve been looking at these Tornadors, they look a very useful piece of kit... the thing is, I know absolutely nothing about compressors (I’m not a tools expert). Can anyone recommend a suitable compressor just for valeting purposes ? Apparently the tornado requires a 2.2kw reciprocating compressor (wtf does that mean?) 

56 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’ve been looking at these Tornadors, they look a very useful piece of kit... the thing is, I know absolutely nothing about compressors (I’m not a tools expert). Can anyone recommend a suitable compressor just for valeting purposes ? Apparently the tornado requires a 2.2kw reciprocating compressor (wtf does that mean?) 

Machine mart tend to come out keen mate. 

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

When I got one for the same purposes the grease monkeys and paint boys were saying go for Angry Jester. Circa £400 is what you need to be spending.

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I have bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Compressor-90L-LVLP-Spray-Gun-Clean-Air-Kit-Consumables-DVD-Burisch/162200046768?epid=883066220&hash=item25c3e04cb0:g:bnoAAOSwPh5ZGfAi:rk:3:pf:0

Apparently about as big as you can get on single phase leccy

Yes 3HP is as much as Single Phase will handle ;)

Mine is 3HP, 14 CFM but 200 litre Tank bought it years ago from "Brown Brothers" it's Taskmaster Brand ;)

Who is old enough to remember Brown Brothers ??????? :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Mine is 3HP, 14 CFM but 200 litre Tank bought it years ago from "Brown Brothers" it's Taskmaster Brand ;)

I used to buy off Brown Brothers 

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I used to buy off Brown Brothers 

I can still remember their phone number!

Cant remember anything useful but I can remember that!

6 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I remember them....

11 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

We've got the Autosmart Vortex, which is the same thing as Tornodor. Great bit of kit, we've used it more than we expected to.

We bought this compressor - https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/bundles/sc50h-50-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-air-kit

Came the next day, and has worked faultlessley - we bought an extension hose, so the compressor sits in the loo and we can use the air tools anywhere in our unit.

In hindsight, we should have got the 100L over the 50L as the Vortex uses quite a lot of air.

5 minutes ago, D&M said:

We've got the Autosmart Vortex, which is the same thing as Tornodor. Great bit of kit, we've used it more than we expected to.

We bought this compressor - https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/bundles/sc50h-50-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-air-kit

Came the next day, and has worked faultlessley - we bought an extension hose, so the compressor sits in the loo and we can use the air tools anywhere in our unit.

In hindsight, we should have got the 100L over the 50L as the Vortex uses quite a lot of air.

Thanks.... This is probably a really silly question but how does the air get into the compressor, does it just suck it or do you have to buy something to fill it.  I have no understanding on how compressors work........ I would want one that plugs into a normal electric socket and just works....

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Thanks.... This is probably a really silly question but how does the air get into the compressor, does it just suck it or do you have to buy something to fill it.  I have no understanding on how compressors work........ I would want one that plugs into a normal electric socket and just works....

arfur, you need the biggest compressor that will run on a plug 13a, i recommend also not to run it through a extension lead, look at spending around £450-500, those with small tanks are just not good enough, they will be just running and running all time trying to catch up with the tornado, compressors, the motor turns a pump, very similar to a engine, the pump sucks air in through a filter, then, in a very similar fashion to a engine the piston forces the air into the tank, there is a valve that lets the air only flow one way [ two actually but lets not get too technical] into the tank, when the desired pressure is reached in the tank a the compressor turns off, when the pressure drops the compressor starts again automatically, a small cheap compressor will soon burn out, a full size proper one will last years and years and ALWAYS have a value .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Just draws from the air around us through a filter into a tank, the compression tank. From there its held, under pressure and used via the hose and head (Vortex/air tools) by pulling a trigger.. if you are sticking one in the workshop, you could have hose around the side of the walls so it doesnt get damaged and compressor in a quieter location.. Check out the garage near you for ideas