Sign in to follow this  
GreenGiant

An Open Letter to Auto Trader Part 2

Dear Auto Trader Group. Or PLC. Or whatever you are this month.

Congratulations. In the words of Young Mr Grace, you’ve all done very well.

For yourselves.

Since my last attempt to get you to own up to your mistakes, awful decisions and unjustified money-grabbing, a lot has happened hasn’t it?

It seems my little outburst was perfectly timed. But not from your perspective. You didn’t need a buzzy little mosquito around you while you were all trying to stuff your faces into the trough. It must have irritated like hell when you were trying to show the City how your market dominance was generating huge profits to justify a (ludicrous) valuation, to have somebody pointing out how stupid and arrogant you were.

I know it irritated because a couple of days after I wrote it one of your Directors tried to contact me for a private discussion. I declined.

I believe you wanted to have the same discussion that you had already had with the large dealer groups a few days earlier. You know, the one where you admitted there had been a slight hiccup in your Data Provision (aka almighty cock-up), but you were on top of it and all would be well in due course.

Trouble is, you weren’t big enough to admit it publicly.

CAP have been laughing their tits off at both you and Glass, haven’t they? Justifiably, in my view. Although they’re out of pocket, they have more than made up for it in kudos and column inches. Have you seen the article they’ve been promoting? That’s you they are mocking for believing the nonsense that Glass told you. All in all, it’s a little bit awkward isn’t it? CAP contacted me too, wanting me to contribute to a press release and a podcast about the whole debacle so they could really rub Glass’ (and your) nose in it. I declined that too.

Earlier this week, you got one of your poor overworked employees to PM me, inviting me to your HQ to “show me some of the things that you are doingâ€.

I have no clue why you thought I would give a tuppenny toss about your wondrous plans for the future – you can’t get things right in the present.

Again, I declined. I think I ended my reply along the lines of: “I'm sick of your Company and its cynical attitude. They pretend to care, but they don't really - it's all about the money. You'll see.â€

Meantime, you’ve been strutting around feeling very proud of yourselves. Also justifiably. Mainly because you have now managed to raise the not inconsiderable sum of £2.35Billion.

Two thousand, three hundred and fifty million pounds.

No wonder you couldn’t be arsed to answer a couple of salient points raised by a customer.

Because I was right: It IS all about the money.

You lucky, lucky, greedy, greedy boys

• Like 2

Right I know you're annoyed GG. And I can feel your anger. But let's looks at this another way.

A customer buys a car from you and gets very angry about it on social media and the interweb. Saying you're money grabbing. And unfair. Etc.

You call them and offer to have a chat about it but they decline your call. Yet carry on posting.

Then a colleague of yours does the same thing. But again they refuse to talk. Or even listen.

But then they go and get very vocal once again on social media.

You've outstretched your hand. Attempted to talk. But they won't engage.

You'd be frustrated too right?

Now I get your point entirely. I can see why you're unhappy. But surely you need to hear their side of the story? Surely if you're to write angry posts like this (which you're perfectly entitled to do and that's why this forum is here) you should at least hear them out.

Or would you rather they engaged here, in a public forum?

All I'm saying is: Is it not worth hearing what they have to say? At least giving them the chance. Because, let's be honest, if they didn't care at all they wouldn't even bother would they?

*lights fuse and retreats back to Saturday morning*

• Like 2

You're absolutely right.

Except that I am not the only customer that has issues - I'm just the numpty that put his head over the top and cried 'Enough!'

There are many, many subscribers to this organisation that have, quite frankly, put them where they are. There are many, many of those subscribers that are very unhappy with the changes, the attitude, the arrogance that is shown to them.

I have asked them privately (via the rep, admittedly, but that is our point of contact) how they can justify charging more for less, I have asked them publicly on their own forum to tell everybody why they made the changes they made. And why they make changes without asking if we want or need them. No answers from anywhere.

I understand it is their business and they can run it how they like.

But it isn't just me that wants to hear it from the horses mouth - it's lots of people.

So I get your point totally, James. I would be a tad more than frustrated if it was just one customer that I had hacked off and was trying to make things right. But this is lots and lots of customers. So they really ought to try and make all of them happy if they can.

Look, if what i've said is wrong, I will apologise profusely, hang my head in shame and thrash myself with birch twigs.

They just need to show me where I'm wrong.

But haven't they tried to do that? If they've tried to contact you to chat about things and you declined how will you ever know what they were going to say?

We learn in the reporting world you have to give people a right of reply. It's only fair. As much as it sometimes pains me to do it. But then if you don't like what they've got to say by all means carry on.

My point is maybe you should listen to what those that have reached out to you have got to say. Then make up your mind.

I'm totally impartial here and just giving you a view point from the sidelines. Feel free to ignore it!

I must admit I was invited to AT HQ and took up the offer this week. 

The impression I got is that they are listening. We were shown idea's, some were liked and some weren't. We were given a chance to make our feelings known. It was all done in a very professional manner. 

GG I would say take up the offer. If you plan to continue using AT why not try and become part of the solution rather then just accepting the problem. 

I wouldn't waste my time drafting letters, I got so sick of the overpowering phone calls, telling me how my cars were expensive (never mind the fact they had the lowest mileages!). It's ok going by averages but they are dragged down by cat c & d etc.

Must be 7 or 8 months now since I told AT to poke it and that I would rather close the business than return to them!

One of the best things we have done and we are as busy as ever!

Not having to fork out that massive bill which grabs so much of the profit from several cars is so nice!

If everyone did the same thing, AT would be on its arse and we would be the dictator and maybe paying a pound a car to advertise again!

• Like 1

I just got off the phone from auto trader “customer services “ I was ringing to ask them when I had paid for their top package to sell my car why the ad was showing 5 and 6 pages down on a very specific search when they advertised side banners and all the bells and whistles .  Was met with shocking arrogance and attitude and them questioning me as to what I expect I can safely say it was the worst customer care experience I have ever encountered This company are shocking money grabbers with zero customer care I asked to speak to someone else / a manager and I’m told after a wait there’s no one to talk to me They will call me back if they don’t do so and I suspect they won’t I will sue them for my money back and get them to pay all costs involved also for false advertising Disgusting company It is a huge shame they have such a dominance in the market place I cannot understand why this is 

its Capitalism, I would do exactly the same if I had their monopoly, we all would

12 minutes ago, Steve brighton said:

I just got off the phone from auto trader “customer services “ I was ringing to ask them when I had paid for their top package to sell my car why the ad was showing 5 and 6 pages down on a very specific search when they advertised side banners and all the bells and whistles .  Was met with shocking arrogance and attitude and them questioning me as to what I expect I can safely say it was the worst customer care experience I have ever encountered This company are shocking money grabbers with zero customer care I asked to speak to someone else / a manager and I’m told after a wait there’s no one to talk to me They will call me back if they don’t do so and I suspect they won’t I will sue them for my money back and get them to pay all costs involved also for false advertising Disgusting company It is a huge shame they have such a dominance in the market place I cannot understand why this is 

good luck with that

No - I won't have that.. they're awesome and I especially loved their not at all confusing invoices and merry-go-round area 'reps'.. :o)

Yup- greed... but what can you do.  Nothing, except don't use the robbers.

I never have any issue with getting hold of at least two people including my account manager, whenever I need them. I rarely call her though. I’m too busy selling cars through them. 

Here we go again..... AT work for me, the ROI is worth the money, never had a red month, but my outgoings are minimal, on my 4th car I’m usually in the black....

BTW, where are you GG, have you retired or won the lottery ? 

Even I’m bored with the bitching. Be with them or don’t. Like their gonna give him his money back! See small print no doubt. 

Two years without them and still going along nicely. :o)

*they’re gonna even. If only I had an edit button.....

13 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Here we go again..... AT work for me, the ROI is worth the money, never had a red month, but my outgoings are minimal, on my 4th car I’m usually in the black....

BTW, where are you GG, have you retired or won the lottery ? 

Same again here -

Quick KPI - 4 units break even, 6 units a wage and 8+ a very nice income making it all worth it.