4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

OK, Starter Relay off the table then.......................

But it should still start even if it thinks its in N when in P, on some Cars I've seen Snap On only report "Neutral" when in "Park or Neutral" and only Report "Drive" when in Rev, Drive, 4,3,2,1, etc etc

What does Data say as you move through the Selector Positions ?

I'd want to be 100% Certain on that Selector Position Sensor, especially if it turns out to be an £800 part, as some are :blink:

Can you see any "Start Enable" on the Data in Engine ECU or similar to confirm or refute ?

Is this Jeep one of the VW Based "bastards" ?  They can be a real headache, don't ask me how I found that out recently :lol:

HTH

im not a fan of those code readers where the sales representatives think they are doing you a favour selling you finance at 10 bob a week get you on the hook

12 hours ago, boring dave said:

im not a fan of those code readers where the sales representatives think they are doing you a favour selling you finance at 10 bob a week get you on the hook

You don't have to buy anything off Snap On on finance, only mugs would !!

The interest is ridiculous on Snap On EC, I always just pay him at end of month for whatever I've had off the Van during that month !!

For example, a local Garage owner bought a Tool Box stack off Snap On on EC, same as both my stacks, I got a deal at £4000 on each of mine despite the fact that my Black one was bought over 20 years ago, and the Green one 4 years ago, same price !!

OK, I'm not so certain that the New Green one is quite as good quality as the Black one, Black one is still mint condition today, Green one was probably manufactured in China, only time will tell, but I needed another one so I bought Identical, they both look awesome stood each end of my Workshop, and all drawers are full of mostly Snap On Tools !!

Local Garage owner bought a Blue one, same time as I bought the Green One, same stack, £4k agreed (same price), but he took out the EC, when he had finished paying it he had paid almost 8k !!

Have fixed this yet Nick? Was it the selector position sensor?

1 hour ago, MAP said:

Have fixed this yet Nick? Was it the selector position sensor?

No. 

The garage thinks Ignition Switch which I just ordered from Jeep. £38. Parts guy though said it's more likely to be some broken housing inside the steering column which holds the switch and that is £1040. My garage knows that I "don't do" £1040 for parts on old cars and they've said that if the problem is not in the actual ign switch they will wire a live wire to the relay, presumably fitting the car with an engine start/stop switch. 

Either way will be fixed by tomorrow. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

Aye, that's cheaper than a PRNDL Switch ;)

Surely if it is that £1040 housing broken, Used Scrapyard Part or Repair the bugger is the best option ;) 

If that is a common proberlermo I'd bet there is an American "U Tube Video" of how to repair it ;) 

There you go ;) 

LOL, I'm not actually sure what BJ stands for in this Guys case, perhaps he has a sideline to earn extra cash :lol:

• Like 1

I agree with you on old Cars but the trouble with using Live Wire or Power Probe on more modern Cars (read post 2000's, anything with Immo), is unless you really know what you are doing you can fry Modules, for example Engine ECU, Electronic Ignition Switches, Immobilizer Components, Transmission ECU etc...............

On various different Cars any one or a combination of those I listed have to "Authorise" an Engine Start, usually via the Starter Relay earth !!

Believe me when I say most "Mechanics" do not understand how Vehicle Electrics / Electronics work :(

Nick has already got it running by bridging the Starter relay, thus eliminating the Starter.

At the stage they are at now my prime suspect would be Ignition Switch related ;) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I agree with you on old Cars but the trouble with using Live Wire or Power Probe on more modern Cars (read post 2000's, anything with Immo), is unless you really know what you are doing you can fry Modules, for example Engine ECU, Electronic Ignition Switches, Immobilizer Components, Transmission ECU etc...............

On various different Cars any one or a combination of those I listed have to "Authorise" an Engine Start, usually via the Starter Relay earth !!

Believe me when I say most "Mechanics" do not understand how Vehicle Electrics / Electronics work :(

Nick has already got it running by bridging the Starter relay, thus eliminating the Starter.

At the stage they are at now my prime suspect would be Ignition Switch related ;) 

We had a local sparky kill a Jeep that we had sold to a local guy, It had a simple wiper fault which he power probed to death and it ended up at our local Merc dealer with a £4k bill from memory. :blink:

2 hours ago, tradex said:

What type of Cherokee is this, KJ Liberty (small bug eyed), or the larger Grand Cherokee WK, could even be a very late plated WJ Grand Cherokee? I'm not taking the piss, but a lot of people think every Jeep is a Cherokee, even thinking a XK Commander is a different flavored Cherokee;)

Mopar had habit using the same ignition switches on a lot of cars, and we paid around £30 for the actual ignition switch for our last KJ....the switch sits behind the key chamber drive which can also fracture. Not watched the video but this is probably what he means by actuater pin.

There were two types of ignition, an all cast metal affair (good) and a plastic cased switch (bad) which can give issues....never seen a no start but sure it can happen, usually odd issues like headlamps staying on etc.

We buy from Jeep/Chrysler in Wembly and have also bought from Jeepsey...google both, they have great pics and give great service....£30 for ignition switch and around £70 for the key chamber drive

We had to get a airbag squib from Greece earlier this year in order to save £300!

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

We had a local sparky kill a Jeep that we had sold to a local guy, It had a simple wiper fault which he power probed to death and it ended up at our local Merc dealer with a £4k bill from memory. :blink:

That is exactly how I got my fully loaded Supercharged S Class, one owner Car, it started out with a simple Transmission Fault, just out of Warranty at 34k miles, when it went to MB Stealer.

Owner was a local old fella, didn't like MB's quote to change the Conductor Plate, (unbeknown to him that wasn't the fault anyways lol), it then went to another Garage who sent it back still with Limp Mode Trans, they had charged him to fit Conductor plate !! But now it had no Lights washers etc on Right Front, then it went to another Garage and came home on a Recovery Wagon, non starter !!

The old guys health was failing, I wasn't running the Garage back then, hadn't long been up here, so he stuck it in a barn and there it sat for 6 years until he died.

I had a quick look at it for him about a year before he died, lot's of no communication errors, I said yes I can fix it, but I wouldn't give a firm quote so he declined.

His son was selling up the old boys Croft 2 years ago and asked my advice in the Bar one night ...................., he had been offered buttons for it by Dronsfield MB Breakers, but he had to get it to them ;)

I told him even if someone was good enough to lend him a recovery wagon, (no chance round here), it would still cost him at least £250 minimum in Diesel, so offered him even less and ended up with it !!

At this time neither myself nor the son knew what the exact Mileage was, (Cluster was blank due to dead EIS), but I had guessed it was fairly low :lol:

Used Trans ECU £16, Used Front Right SAM £35, ECU, Shifter EIS and Keys kit £195, bit of SDS Coding and she was alive and kicking ;)

And boy does this beast kick with 500+ bhp :D

Full and Thorough Service and Full Brakes all round, MOT passed with no advisories :) 

Oh, and the son is now a good customer / buddy of mine, spends a lot of money on his own MB's here, and is also glad to see the old fellas old S Class back on the road again :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

That is exactly how I got my fully loaded Supercharged S Class, one owner Car, it started out with a simple Transmission Fault, just out of Warranty at 34k miles, when it went to MB Stealer.

Owner was a local old fella, didn't like MB's quote to change the Conductor Plate, (unbeknown to him that wasn't the fault anyways lol), it then went to another Garage who sent it back still with Limp Mode Trans, they had charged him to fit Conductor plate !! But now it had no Lights washers etc on Right Front, then it went to another Garage and came home on a Recovery Wagon, non starter !!

The old guys health was failing, I wasn't running the Garage back then, hadn't long been up here, so he stuck it in a barn and there it sat for 6 years until he died.

I had a quick look at it for him about a year before he died, lot's of no communication errors, I said yes I can fix it, but I wouldn't give a firm quote so he declined.

His son was selling up the old boys Croft 2 years ago and asked my advice in the Bar one night ...................., he had been offered buttons for it by Dronsfield MB Breakers, but he had to get it to them ;)

I told him even if someone was good enough to lend him a recovery wagon, (no chance round here), it would still cost him at least £250 minimum in Diesel, so offered him even less and ended up with it !!

At this time neither myself nor the son knew what the exact Mileage was, (Cluster was blank due to dead EIS), but I had guessed it was fairly low :lol:

Used Trans ECU £16, Used Front Right SAM £35, ECU, Shifter EIS and Keys kit £195, bit of SDS Coding and she was alive and kicking ;)

And boy does this beast kick with 500+ bhp :D

Full and Thorough Service and Full Brakes all round, MOT passed with no advisories :) 

Oh, and the son is now a good customer / buddy of mine, spends a lot of money on his own MB's here, and is also glad to see the old fellas old S Class back on the road again :D

Boom

Love it, nicely nicked