Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

2009 Fiesta error code P016d

hi guys, i have a fiesta that's been stood a month (was fine prior) and we have had to start it with a jump pack, its now running rough and has put the light on, its left 2 codes, P1794 and P061D, the codes are generic it seems and the mechanic thinks its the ECU

URL]Resized_20181010_114244_zpsazay1jft.jpeg

first thing is put a good battery on

its so easy to blow modules if jump starting cars particularly fords as they are smart charge

basically its a no no you will do 100 and get away with it but 101 goes with a puff

see

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/64988-jump-sarting-vehicle-using-jump-leads/

this ones better theres lots of words but words save pounds

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic56772.aspx

Test the battery. If it tests faulty, put a good quality one on and go from there. Had 2 Fiestas running rough last month. Both cured by new batteries

6 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

yup was the battery, mechanics know jack shit half the time, they said ECU

It’s hit and miss with mechanics. To be fair they can’t be expected to know everything about everything. My regular mechanic suggested a bmw of mine was smoking due to piston seals or valve stems. I done some googling and there was plenty about oil separators. I called him and passed that on and he had a light bulb moment and said “I often say this but we Mechanics can get fixated on what we think the problem is and sometimes need to take a step back”

Either that or your bloke is clueless. You got it sorted anyway :)

Hi tell your mechanic I said he's a twat !!

First Code is most likely due to the Battery Voltage being low, 2nd code, Air Flow Meter has probably shat itself when you jumped it, ....................

Ohms Law, as Voltage goes down Amps Go up, so if the Air Flow Meter was slightly dodgy, the little heater wire probably went poof !!

Clear the codes and see what comes back !!

HTH

1 hour ago, tradex said:

If I had a pound for every tech' that said "yup, it's ECU" I'd be, well have enough for that next large EFI (EveryFing'Init) doner

In my experience the ECU is about the most reliable bit in a modern car...

Me too !! If a so called Mechanic doesn't know what's wrong, "Its your ECU mate" !!

I reckon the Colleges teach that these days :(

3 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

yup was the battery, mechanics know jack shit half the time, they said ECU

There ya go MAF code was also due to low V

:P

I’ve never ever had an ECU issue in a car. 

15 hours ago, BHM said:

15 years ago it was common place. Much rarer nowadays.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

I'd go as far to say the electronics and electrical gear was better quality 15 year ago (assuming you mean 03 build new), and even better before that, when OEM's made decent money, were a tad unsure of quality so went safe and, overbuilt rather than built to the lowest bidder....better sensors, better quality wiring, longer (spare) wiring, better steppers etc.

+1 definitely, nowadays even MB are outsourcing to the Chiyaneeeeeseeeees :(

On 11/10/2018 at 6:35 AM, BHM said:

You don't do many MB's then ;) 

Mind, every controller I've had go down on an MB has usually been either water ingress, or some inept poking around with a power probe !! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

, or some inept poking around with a power probe !! ;)

this is why i wont buy one as ive seen dip heads back probing and i just go ooooh you dont wanna do it like that but they still continue so i leave them to it

i like a 501 bulb on a bit of wire if doing simple paralmpic drains:lol: