Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Parking on public roads

I'm sure this has been covered before as a sub question on a thread, but I'm just trying to get my head round it as struggling to find anywhere around me to store my cars (going full time at the end of this month, would be challenging to pay for commercial space to rent straight away), if anyone has any cheap ideas for storage I'd be forever greatful!

Anyway, so to park trade cars on a public road, I'm guessing they have to be taxed? (obviously insured too, although is trade insurance okay for that?) 

Can you just use the green slip to tax them on a monthly basis? How does it work when you sell it? Can the new owner still tax it with the green slip? Or do you use the log book? 

Again, sorry if this has been covered before!

hi mike

my insurer will only let me tax cars that are in the business name on the v5 thats LV

With regards taxing then if you di these on a DDthe dvla take away your right to do it ever again if they catch you

basically all cars in trade need to be off any land designated that the public can enter so this is why places like pub car parks are a no no

my advice if you do indeed know your pub landlord and he has spre space is rent a bit off him in the corner put a plastic chain link fence up and get him to draw you up a short term lease type agreement to prove this is off bounds for joe public

9 minutes ago, boring dave said:

my insurer will only let me tax cars that are in the business name on the v5 thats LV

Time to change insurers Dave. You should be able to tax any car you like. 

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Time to change insurers Dave. You should be able to tax any car you like. 

not bothered to be fair

all sale movements are done on the plates

Tax by DD monthly. It is irrelavent who pays as long as its taxed. Park your cars 5oo metres away from each other away from residential parking. No signage.b Ratate every three days.

2 hours ago, boring dave said:

With regards taxing then if you di these on a DDthe dvla take away your right to do it ever again if they catch you

I don't understand? It's illegal to tax a vehicle using direct debit?

21 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I don't understand? It's illegal to tax a vehicle using direct debit?

you must remember the letter we all got last year as trade plate holders but dvla got all our accounts messed up?

anyway it was all done in the best possible taste:D

3 hours ago, boring dave said:

Apparently if you cancel direct debit payments a certain amount of times they withdraw the facility? 

19 minutes ago, c_cars said:

Apparently if you cancel direct debit payments a certain amount of times they withdraw the facility? 

Why would they? The vehicle is getting taxed. That’s all that matters I reckon. 

Think I might be knocking on some farmers doors soon, or looking at some caravan storage sites!

just remembered

i used a bodyshop car park for 2 years

this was an independent though

have you gone on google maps looking in places you wouldnt normally look?

its amazing how many people have land round the back of their houses

friend of mine has loads of land and keeps smelly sheep

no idea where you are though 

1 hour ago, c_cars said:

that might be it

the dd facility is run by those very nice people who keep threatening me at work that i need a tv licence i guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Why would they? The vehicle is getting taxed. That’s all that matters I reckon. 

It’s happened to me. The reason they get the ump is because if you tax the car on say the 3rd of the month, the first dd won’t come out of account till around the 15th. If the car sells on the 10th of the month and the dd is cancelled then no tax has been paid. They don’t block people from taxing cars, they block the bank account that was used. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

It’s happened to me. The reason they get the ump is because if you tax the car on say the 3rd of the month, the first dd won’t come out of account till around the 15th. If the car sells on the 10th of the month and the dd is cancelled then no tax has been paid. They don’t block people from taxing cars, they block the bank account that was used. 

ah

thanks for this insight

7 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Ok, so the reason they blocked your account was because you essentially pinched a free month of tax by cancelling your DD prior to the first payment. That makes sense and perfectly reasonable to me. 

I always made sure I paid all taxes due, therefore not getting my flagged for non payment. 

8 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Ah right.  Yeah i’d never do that, it’s asking for aggro. 

so if you let them take a months tax its fine? this would benefit me as i have storage for 3 cars and £150 a month and i think that is well pricey but haven't got a choice.

Where are you based mikey?

Edited by P118

14 minutes ago, P118 said:

so if you let them take a months tax its fine? this would benefit me as i have storage for 3 cars and £150 a month and i think that is well pricey but haven't got a choice.

Plus all the hassle of rotation, vandalism, letters, time, time, time.....  it’s not always greener

31 minutes ago, P118 said:

Based in Stamford (bloody posh town, can't stand it but the Mrs loves it)

37 minutes ago, P118 said:

If you have to tax DD past the 15th of the month they’ll take two payments in one go on the first, it’s not that simple as paying for one month...

It worked out cheaper for me to rent a unit, 20 indoors and 4 outside than to pay the tax, plus the bloody logistics was a nightmare. Selling from home isn’t scalable unless you have lots of space. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

i went into wetherspoons for a sunday meal it was cold (the food),can you please tell them my displeasure if you ever go in

thank you

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

not near me then im in Buckinghamshire, was thinking could of went 50 50 on a unit as im in same boat as you doing this part time, full time mechanic want to do this full time  

9 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

If you have to tax DD past the 15th of the month they’ll take two payments in one go on the first, it’s not that simple as paying for one month...

It worked out cheaper for me to rent a unit, 20 indoors and 4 outside than to pay the tax, plus the bloody logistics was a nightmare. Selling from home isn’t scalable unless you have lots of space. 

Units around my way are so expensive looking at £1500 min a month for a decent size one, need an alternative really. 

4 minutes ago, P118 said:

not near me then im in Buckinghamshire, was thinking could of went 50 50 on a unit as im in same boat as you doing this part time, full time mechanic want to do this full time  

its only three hours away

you do make up poor excuses you do:lol:

and he isnt selling boats as theres no docks in stamford just a big statue of some dead geezer:);)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, P118 said:

Units around my way are so expensive looking at £1500 min a month for a decent size one, need an alternative really. 

Keep it cheap as long as you can :)

14 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Lovely town! Lots of fields not so far out of town, is there a friendly farmer with a bit of space?