Sign in to follow this  
P118

Cameras

looking for a new camera

must be affordable good quality camera for taking photos of stock.

Any recommendations? 

Whats are other people using? 

Edited by P118

Nikon D7100 with the standard 18-105mm lens and a Hoya circular polarizer filter (a must for cars for the £30 or so it costs). 

an iPhone for the two minute walkaround videos. 

6 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Nikon D7100 with the standard 18-105mm lens and a Hoya circular polarizer filter (a must for cars for the £30 or so it costs). 

Could you post up some of your pics - a great camera and I'd like to see the results - thanks

18 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

NMK_5030

NMK_5004

They are top quality pictures! I will be looking into that camera thanks nick!

I've used my samsung s7 and shyed away from using my DSLR due to the faff of memory cards etc. But with the addition of that filter you are using Nick I think I would save a lot of time editing the pictures as other than needing cropped they would be perfect. 

Good shout mate! 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I am totally and utterly camera ignorant (I use an iPhone8+) but I’ve got to say they are by far the best photos I’ve seen.

I know it’s personal preference but I prefer outside photos rather than inside with horrible artificial light - some of these harsh LEDs nowadays are horrid.

Anyhow what did interest me was your mention of a circular polarizer filter. What does it do & why do you feel it crucial for photographs specifically of cars?

The cir pol filter eliminates reflections and glare from shiny surfaces and glass. In the front Audi A6 photo without that filter the windscreen would be completely white, you would not see through it, the bonnet would be quite white also. The filter cuts these reflections off. A side effect from it is that it makes some vibrant colours to "pop", to appear even more vibrant that they are. Best shown on the modern blue metallics like BMW Le Mans Blue.

• Like 1

Nick, are those photos completely unedited/shopped?

To be fair, Nick's images take some thought and planning. It's not all just the camera?

I edit just a little bit. Choosing takes forever. I take around 120 photos (in + out) of which 40-50 end up in my ads and on the website. Each photo is edited for a minute of two on iphoto (a basic Mac program, nothing like Photoshop or Lightroom) for contrast, white balance, shadows etc. From car wash to advert it takes two to four hours depending on how many times I look at this forum :-)

One of the reasons I hide the number plates is that if tomorrow I get a car of the same colour and spec as one I already have in my huge library I will not go through the same photo routine. My record is 15 minutes from winning an online auction in Brighouse to live AT advert with 50 images . 

47 minutes ago, met said:

To be fair, Nick's images take some thought and planning. It's not all just the camera?

It helps he lives in a great location. The lucky c*nt. i’m not jealous though. Not I. 

• Like 1

One small note on polarising filters - they are available in two versions: "Linear" and "Circular".

The Linear ones are cheaper (and are more effective at polarising) but they screw up the autofocus on pretty much every single modern camera. If you are trying to save a few quid, don't end up buying a Linear one by mistake...!

11 hours ago, EPV said:

It helps he lives in a great location. The lucky c*nt. i’m not jealous though. Not I. 

Well, i didn't mean just the background, more the photographic technicalities. But i see your point. Although i'm a confirmed 'city boy' and living in the sticks has no appeal to me. I even tried it for a while! Lol