Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Pug 508 2012

Just nicked one from Walsall BCA for about £700 under book but the ICE screen is blank, in the online photos at least. It has Nav but this isn't a Nav problem (yet) as the trip computer, radio, phone et al come through the screen. 

Had a quick google and nothing seems to be a common fault but anyone on here had any experiences? I assume the dash layout is similar for a few other pugs as well.

Cheers in advance.

Why do you worry about a fault that you're not even sure is a fault. Probably someone turned it off completely :-)

Ha ha

Because my experience tells me that my life isn't that simple. It's down on the assured report as inoperative, so just throwing it out there to see if anyone had any experience.

Back in ya box, please...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boring dave said:

have you tried turning it on and off again

coming from your personal IT dept:huh::D

Joking aside, one of the first things I'm going to do when it arrives is take the applicable fuse out and replace it. Might be lucky!

1 minute ago, EPV said:

one of the first things I'm going to do when it arrives is take the applicable fuse out and replace it.

Yes, just in case this is exactly what someone did in the auction yard hoping for a bargain on sale day. 

P. S.  BCA Walsall is my least favourite auction place anywhere, I went there once this year in person just to collect and I will never go back there. Ever. 

5 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yes, just in case this is exactly what someone did in the auction yard hoping for a bargain on sale day. 

P. S.  BCA Walsall is my least favourite auction place anywhere, I went there once this year in person just to collect and I will never go back there. Ever. 

It's Walsall. I could have told you that. Smoke and grey skies.

It was actually Preston, I got my wires crossed.

3 hours ago, EPV said:

Ha ha

Because my experience tells me that my life isn't that simple. It's down on the assured report as inoperative, so just throwing it out there to see if anyone had any experience.

Back in ya box, please...

I've had many a Volvo with a so called "inoperative satnav" because matey boy didn't know how to turn it on...... (turned off on steering wheel)

57 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

May I ask why ?

Sure is a long Thursday with only one lane and the site is a tired mess but some good buys from there

4 hours ago, EPV said:

Just nicked one from Walsall BCA for about £700 under book but the ICE screen is blank, in the online photos at least. It has Nav but this isn't a Nav problem (yet) as the trip computer, radio, phone et al come through the screen. 

Had a quick google and nothing seems to be a common fault but anyone on here had any experiences? I assume the dash layout is similar for a few other pugs as well.

Cheers in advance.

Worse case scenario, there is a headunit on eBay for £150

Possible pleasant surprise if the battery was running low or a dash night switch (if they have them) was knocked on

1 minute ago, twerp said:

May I ask why ?

Sure is a long Thursday with only one lane and the site is a tired mess but some good buys from there

+1, always done well out of the Renault Retail line there over the years, likewise when it was in Tewkesbury previously; another favourite auction of mine back in the day. 

7 minutes ago, twerp said:

May I ask why ?

I’m assuming it’s more to do with the location of the auction itself rather than the auction. Walsall is a miserable place on a good day. 

Do you know if it needed jumpstarting? these goons in the hall are always blowing ICE etc when fisting about under the bonnet, blind leading the ruddy blind.. get a fuse in it as you say, after that maybe factory hard reset.. will kick it into life.. G'luck with it

54 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Do you know if it needed jumpstarting? these goons in the hall are always blowing ICE etc when fisting about under the bonnet, blind leading the ruddy blind.. get a fuse in it as you say, after that maybe factory hard reset.. will kick it into life.. G'luck with it

I bought online mate so I don’t, no. 

11 minutes ago, EPV said:

I bought online mate so I don’t, no. 

No sweat see how it is when it arrives, is it being driven? if so make sure the are careful jumping it if the battery is flat... Had a Volvo in spring, jump starting screwed the elec tailgate, sunroof plus ICE, eventually got is back online with reset or two.. Maybe search www for 508 flat battery /ice issues, bet you have checked that thou!! ;)

13 hours ago, twerp said:

May I ask why ?

I've only been to Walsall once, earlier this year. Won a Santa Fe online (for a client) and I decided to go and collect it. Decent price, a grand under cap and the car was clean.

The place though... don't get me started. The taxi driver from the station insisted we lock the car doors "just in case", BCA, well, tired mess it was, staff couldn't be bothered with directions, two people sent me to the payment office to pick up my paperwork, waited 25 minutes in that tiny room and when my turn came they said, oh, this is paid online so you can go round the back where we have a dedicated window. The wait there was 20 seconds. 

Then the key office lady (for lack of a better word) took my pass out and sent me to the windiest hall entrance to wait "just for a few minutes" for a driver to bring it. 45 minutes later he turned up, tossed the keys at me from 10 feet with a reassuring "drives well mate, must've cost a few bob" and off I was, past 4pm in the late afternoon M6 traffic. 

Even in the busiest Mondays at Blackbushe with the queues all the way to hall 1 I would've collected quicker...

13 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I've only been to Walsall once, earlier this year. Won a Santa Fe online (for a client) and I decided to go and collect it. Decent price, a grand under cap and the car was clean.

The place though... don't get me started. The taxi driver from the station insisted we lock the car doors "just in case", BCA, well, tired mess it was, staff couldn't be bothered with directions, two people sent me to the payment office to pick up my paperwork, waited 25 minutes in that tiny room and when my turn came they said, oh, this is paid online so you can go round the back where we have a dedicated window. The wait there was 20 seconds. 

Then the key office lady (for lack of a better word) took my pass out and sent me to the windiest hall entrance to wait "just for a few minutes" for a driver to bring it. 45 minutes later he turned up, tossed the keys at me from 10 feet with a reassuring "drives well mate, must've cost a few bob" and off I was, past 4pm in the late afternoon M6 traffic. 

Even in the busiest Mondays at Blackbushe with the queues all the way to hall 1 I would've collected quicker...

You got the polite staff Nick at walsall , Worst BCA out there regarding staff , Want to see them in real life, doing doughnuts in any thing tasty  , drag starts , max rev from cold , you name it I've seen it there . 

Even had the yard leader tell one driver to leave the car directly outside the hall exit as I didn't want him flying up the yard flat out after i got the bid . 

Walsall is a very tired, dirty site and god help you if you need a piss whilst you're there.  Freezing cold toilet block, filthy, horrible, nasty place - switch to Wolverhampton and it is polar opposite.

With all this said, these are reasons why cars may just go through cap avg rather than clean. Which can only be a good thing for us. 

2 hours ago, boring dave said:

have you put it to sleep and woke it up yet?

I won't even see it until next week mate, I like to get ahead but the logistics companies try and slow me down it seems..

As I expected, my life isn't a simple as someone not knowing how to switch an ICE system on.

The screen is blank aside from a message saying "please do not remove media, updating" or something like that. I have found the original Nav DVD in the glovebox along with some aftermarket operating instructions on how to update the system using the disc enclosed.

I think what has happened is the previous owner has bought a moody updated Nav DVD off eBay, and now because this things can't actually update the system, it just goes round and round, you cant even eject the DVD. So the first job is to get the DVD out and see what happens when the OEM one goes back in.

I've used a chap near you (I think) before EN4 0AE?

Was very efficient on a few occasions but has been a year or so since I last used him.  He sorted a CRV last time for me where the disc wouldn't read/eject. 

Might be worth a try.

I also had a Subaru that wouldn't power up.  My autoelectrician got it working by doing a factory reset via his diagnostic gear/laptop.  

Good luck.

29 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I've used a chap near you (I think) before EN4 0AE?

Was very efficient on a few occasions but has been a year or so since I last used him.  He sorted a CRV last time for me where the disc wouldn't read/eject. 

Might be worth a try.

I also had a Subaru that wouldn't power up.  My autoelectrician got it working by doing a factory reset via his diagnostic gear/laptop.  

Good luck.

Cheers

Just spoke with a chap who knew exactly what the problem was/is, it needs to be sent off to France. £675. I will of course get a second option but my cheap buy isn't so cheap. 

The problem is that this thing powers the whole car's ICE, heated seats, Nav, Radio, parking sensors etc. Ah well, see what happens.

i believe purrgot were the first to introduce canbus

we now reap the rewards of cable saving............not