Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

Car transport

My usual chap has just retired, been excellent service for last 2 years never let me down once.

I previously stuck them on Movex and let the quotes come in, then check reviews and chance the car would arrive safely ! was ok had a few minor let downs but overall was not too bad.

Who are you guys using ? Any recommended companies ? Or is Movex still the best ?

see who the local trade use and get a quote if he comes recommended

a look at his wagon will tell you if you can trust him

Anyvan. 

Always transported and always reliable in my experience. Good prices too if you aren’t picky about which date it gets delivered on. Manchester to Bromley, Kent, sometime early next week say (might be before) £211. I think that’s good. 

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Anyvan. 

Always transported and always reliable in my experience. Good prices too if you aren’t picky about which date it gets delivered on. Manchester to Bromley, Kent, sometime early next week say (might be before) £211. I think that’s good. 

Yes someone else mentioned anyvan, just had a quick look at website seems easy enough to load job. Quoted £116 for a 70 mile job which i suppose is about right, 

Would rather pay a bit extra to be fair than have a cowboy turn up with a rusty old transit....

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Anyvan. 

That's a good price, so will try them next time. I had a qoute a month or so back from Southend to bodyshop in Chester, that was £329 + vat. I ended up getting a train ticket myself & bringing it back for £95 inc fuel, took around 8hrs all in.  

BHM recommended them and if he uses them they must be good value for money. I reckon he’s what you could refer to as “careful” with his dough. 

• Like 1

I thought I did well : 55miles for £47

Edited by twerp

Just now, twerp said:

I thought I did well with this :

Screen_Shot_2018_09_20_at_18_54_49.jpg

Yes but was you then charged £40 for fuel, and the car delivered next day with an extra 200 miles on clock ??

For a 55 mile trip would you not try and shift it yourself whilst doubling up on some other errands ? Maybe its me but under 150miles, I will put myself out...

I lifted one north of Aberdeen in April, almost 400miles, got a flight for £67 & fuel was £45.. all done in under a day had overnight with family not seen for a while.. Worked a treat, but thats me.. Worked so well I lifted one from Nairn in May, got a £50 flight to Inverness.. grand ride back in superb weather along Loch Ness.. 

Just saying - I dont mind if i can fit in & costs stack up

25 minutes ago, EPV said:

BHM recommended them and if he uses them they must be good value for money. I reckon he’s what you could refer to as “careful” with his dough. 

Thanks , book marked ;)

Beat my BMW i3 collections from Leeds and Brighouse (195 miles): 

London to Leeds off peak train ticket (around 11am) - £13

The first 85-90 miles (on BCA electricity) - FREE

The next 80 miles - £3 for a motorway electricity recharge

The last 20-30 miles on BCA petrol for the little range extender engine - FREE

Edited by Nick M.K.

33 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

For a 55 mile trip would you not try and shift it yourself whilst doubling up on some other errands ?

Not worth it in this instance

1) £6 taxi to train station

2) £23 train to Nottingham (2.5 hrs !)

3) £12 taxi to BCA Notts

57 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

Yes but was you then charged £40 for fuel, and the car delivered next day with an extra 200 miles on clock ??

Not charged for fuel cause it had 1/4 tank but they had taken it home the night before and added an extra 50miles

Ok with this being a cheapy, but its not on if its something of value.

Also the driver came down in convoy with his Mrs in her own car for the return leg. Can't have been worth it for them

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

I pay Manheim to deliver all my cars, it makes sense when you buy online. 

Take it you bag a few at a time and push costs down? If distance is an issue, then delivery is the solution..

Was lucky enough to lift a Golf in June, all but full tank, smoked on off until it sold.. never put a drop in it.. Every little helps!

42 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Beat my BMW i3 collections from Leeds and Brighouse (195 miles): 

London to Leeds off peak train ticket (around 11am) - £13

The first 85-90 miles (on BCA electricity) - FREE

The next 80 miles - £3 for a motorway electricity recharge

The last 20-30 miles on BCA petrol for the little range extender engine - FREE

Top points here, best by far Nick :) .. although when i see electric vehicles then only picture that comes to my mind is Clarkson on Top Gear taking the proverbial

We use shiply for all our jobs.

although I’ve learnt shiply take a deposit and then keep it, so I’ve started dealing regularly with some of the local transport guys and simply calling them whenever I’ve got a job, I normally get a job for normal shiply price minus the deposit fee when going direct 

45p to 50p per mile driven plus any fuel on top is the rate i pay. Built up a network of trade platers over the years, got them all in a WhatsApp group now and just put the jobs on there. Works ok, used to use movex but it's just gone to be a rip off especially since Manheim took it over. 

The market is full of transport companies, truck and trade plate drivers but it is hard to find a professional one.  When my Wife struggled to find companies out there doing the job properly (corporate sales for main dealer so she is quite picky) we decided to set up on our own...... anyone need anything give me a shout.  Based in the North West :-)