Sign in to follow this  
stockedup!

Car Gurus

I am currently receiving quite a number of email enquiries off Car Gurus but when I reply back nothing ever comes of them. Is this a normal situation or are there people out there having some success?

This is normal. I’m convinced it car gurus themselves sending the enquiries to make the platform seem more successful! 

Ah, our weekly Car Gurus discussion.

There are real leads. But probably not off the free version. The free package means that the billy cant see where you're located, your website, nuffin. So when you reply "here's my website and I'm conveniently based in Shropshire" and they are in Norwich, it's far from convenient for them. That's assuming they're even getting your email. When you reply it's anonymously via an email address that looks very spammy and will often end up in the billys junk folder.

Like most things free, they aren't usually very good. The paid for version provides some joy, i reckon i sell one or maybe two a month off there and I only sell 8 a month. It's certainly been miles better than eBay for me but as ever, YMMV.

The above explains why you don't get replies to your emails. CG's don't spoof enquiries. 

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that replying via carguru often puts your email into their junk mail so they never get a reply from you...

When I was first approached by them I insisted on going on a trial 1 month package(The same as when you pay them), I sold 1 car from it but it would cost me £495 for 30 or 35 cars with them which wasn't good value. Thank you for your response.

8 hours ago, EPV said:

There are real leads. But probably not off the free version. The free package means that the billy cant see where you're located, your website, nuffin. So when you reply "here's my website and I'm conveniently based in Shropshire" and they are in Norwich, it's far from convenient for them. That's assuming they're even getting your email. When you reply it's anonymously via an email address that looks very spammy and will often end up in the billys junk folder.

Like most things free, they aren't usually very good. The paid for version provides some joy, i reckon i sell one or maybe two a month off there and I only sell 8 a month. It's certainly been miles better than eBay for me but as ever, YMMV.

The above explains why you don't get replies to your emails. CG's don't spoof enquiries. 

We pay £130 for 10 cars, during the trial month we sold one substantial car and one cheapie so signed up for 6 Months.

Sphock Motors approached us and offered 20 cars for £80 on a 12 Month contract and he assured us we would sell LOADS!! I then asked around and everyone said it was garbage so I never bothered.

10 hours ago, EPV said:

I do much better than ebay as I am actually contemplating pulling the ebay plug - In 2 minds as I think ebay brings more walk in business and just turned up folk than perhaps I give it credit for. 

One thing with Cargurus (  I am a fan, it works for me and I personally like the platform) is the customers who we do get through from there don't often haggle and are generally quite well informed buyers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AutoJacob said:

We pay £130 for 10 cars, during the trial month we sold one substantial car and one cheapie so signed up for 6 Months.

Sphock Motors approached us and offered 20 cars for £80 on a 12 Month contract and he assured us we would sell LOADS!! I then asked around and everyone said it was garbage so I never bothered.

Car boot sale. Online.

25 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I do much better than ebay as I am actually contemplating pulling the ebay plug - In 2 minds as I think ebay brings more walk in business and just turned up folk than perhaps I give it credit for. 

One thing with Cargurus (  I am a fan, it works for me and I personally like the platform) is the customers who we do get through from there don't often haggle and are generally quite well informed buyers. 

eBay was £1400 up in smoke as far as I was concerned. Granted you do have to work at advertising platforms but to not have actually sold one car in three months is pretty shocking.

I doubt I'll ever go back for another try, I'd favour spending that sort of money on social media campaigns, which is I'm sure, where it is all heading, sooner or later.

Gumtree a waste of time when I tried it and I think Shpock will be the same.

Ebay Motors Pro works a treat for all values and I wouldn't be without it.  Only about £300 a month for 60+ cars is our package.

Cargurus I'm still on the fence about.  We do get a couple of sales or so a month from them and as above, the punters that you do get to talk to/converse with are generally of a good quality.

Motors: as above but I'm less convinced about.

2 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Gumtree a waste of time when I tried it and I think Shpock will be the same.

Ebay Motors Pro works a treat for all values and I wouldn't be without it.  Only about £300 a month for 60+ cars is our package.

Cargurus I'm still on the fence about.  We do get a couple of sales or so a month from them and as above, the punters that you do get to talk to/converse with are generally of a good quality.

Motors: as above but I'm less convinced about.

Motors was just as much as a waste of time for me as eBay was. I don’t know of anyone off here who has made it work, unlike eBay who some seem to get a good tune out of. 

Where you won’t like CG’s is their price markers. Which the punters love, especially when the car they’re looking for is abundantly available. Sometimes they are wildly out, which can have an airing effect. 

Rory made me aware of where they really excel though and it’s the money they spend in redirecting and advertising. I’ve lost count of the amount of unrelated websites i’ve been on and see my cars in a pop up advert on the side of a web page. It costs a fortune to do that and considering the monthly package cost is very good value. 

Yeah absolutely - price indicators are so annoying- stupid idea.  They also list 'days in stock' which is a shocking concept.  Trouble is with them and Autoraper is they forget who their customer is.  It is us, the trade- not the public.  Just look at the percentage of trade adverts v private).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

Yeah absolutely - price indicators are so annoying- stupid idea.  They also list 'days in stock' which is a shocking concept.  Trouble is with them and Autoraper is they forget who their customer is.  It is us, the trade- not the public.  Just look at the percentage of trade adverts v private).

Well perhaps but without punters we’re nowhere. One of a punters primary concerns when they’re buying is “am I getting ripped off” the thought of being done Over is frightening. Those price markers offer them real comfort. If you’re doing the job right and buying right you’ve got little to hide anyway. 

Very true James, but depends on whether they're realistic as you say.  Also, if your car is something that can easily be found elsewhere and/or they've taken the car's rarity and spec into account properly.  For us guys with a site (and you who prepare properly etc) the price of the car will pretty much always be on the higher side.  I tend to go for 'different' stuff and it's often speccy, slightly older stuff things that you polish a margin in to etc, so its often stuff you won't be easily able to find elsewhere nearby.  Or stuff to sell to the local older generation who 'don't want be f'd about'.

I always say to punters if they see one cheaper elsewhere (usually the other end of the country or Birmingham) go and get it.  We don't sell cheap cars I'm afraid but we do sell good cars and we are here for you after purchase.

My biggest issue with price indicators is how I think Simon? put it many months ago:  a race to the bottom.  I reduce mine, you reduce yours and repeat.

• Like 2

Normally get one or two a month away through the free package with CarGurus; a proper reply with contact details and website usually works.

The quality of customer always seems better too? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Very true James, but depends on whether they're realistic as you say.  Also, if your car is something that can easily be found elsewhere and/or they've taken the car's rarity and spec into account properly.  For us guys with a site (and you who prepare properly etc) the price of the car will pretty much always be on the higher side.  I tend to go for 'different' stuff and it's often speccy, slightly older stuff things that you polish a margin in to etc, so its often stuff you won't be easily able to find elsewhere nearby.  Or stuff to sell to the local older generation who 'don't want be f'd about'.

I always say to punters if they see one cheaper elsewhere (usually the other end of the country or Birmingham) go and get it.  We don't sell cheap cars I'm afraid but we do sell good cars and we are here for you after purchase.

My biggest issue with price indicators is how I think Simon? put it many months ago:  a race to the bottom.  I reduce mine, you reduce yours and repeat.

Yes I do see that, however with your stock profile that isn't going to be an issue because you offer harder to find cars and do the job right, if someone wants to save £300 on a similar car that's 100 miles away, they are welcome to it and a days travel. 

Part of me would love to return to days of a somewhat clandestine nature, few people knew what time of day it was I suspect margins were easier. But we are where we are, the internet has seen to the education of a generation and we must either adapt to the change or fall by the wayside. I'm fortunate that I'm fairly new to this and can adapt, or start, where the buyer behaviour leans towards. I don't like it that punters can use various resources to educate themselves on price, CRA etc but they can, it's what it is and I try and be seen to be embracing it and not resisting it which could make punters suspicious of me.

Yeah- I just hope/wonder if the punters see it that way.  If your car is on the higher side according to AT, then do they get as far as calling you etc.

Race-to-the-bottom is my main issue though.  You're right: it is what it is and there's nothing to be done about it except moan on here ;0)

Edited by NOACROSS

28 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Yeah- I just hope/wonder if the punters see it that way.  If your car is on the higher side according to AT, then do they get as far as calling you etc.

Race-to-the-bottom is my main issue though.  You're right: it is what it is an there's nothing to be done about it except moan on here ;0)

They do see through it.

Cars with big specs, loads of options etc are very often marked as higher - Justify the reason for it and most of them do get it.

2 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Race-to-the-bottom is my main issue though.  You're right: it is what it is and there's nothing to be done about it except moan on here ;0)

I’ve sold a few cars these past 8 weeks where my price was “above market” according to AT so no price marker shown but they were certain very desirable cars that from experience I knew would sell quickly. It’s not all about price although selling petrol manual fiestas or auto diesel c220’s probably is. You don’t sell those cars so price markers aren’t to be feared. 

3 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

So true on the race to the bottom term, "price match" offered by some online market places appears to be their preferred way to go (copying others).. for traders its utter bollocks as it in no way takes into account spec or rarity of a vehicle.. Traders really should be able to choose how their stock it marketed on such places; but I'm not holding my breath, price match maybe here to stay.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info people. Just to test CG I had several friends go onto their site and enquire on some of my cars. I replied to them and all  4 responses to their enquiries went back into their inboxes.  I have found CG less than pleasant to deal with on the phone, quite aggressive when trying to sell you a package.

Autotrader is my main one, it works for me and I find Ebay pretty good too. I have been with motors for a while but leads are not as easy to track(There is a call whisper from their site but your number is different on other affiliated sites so you don't get a whisper)

Thank you for your input