Sign in to follow this  
EPV

How many miles is too many?

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

main thing is dont get into a club of other traders that stand round taliking,its the easiest way to miss your car or a bargain

My most embarrassing moment at auction was when one of my customers said can I come with you one day (how do you say no).  Anyway, he's a lovely chap and we talk quite regularly now.

He came with me once and I was bidding on a BMW 1 Series which I had earmarked.  I really wanted this and won it (sold within 1 day).  Anyway, trying to keep my cool, looking like I know what I am doing, keeping it very much matter a fact etc, hammer drops and my "new" friend runs up to me in the rostrum, throws his arms around me and shouts - you won it yeeeessssss!!!!

I also bought an A4 same day and that also sold very quickly - of course, he has witnessed the speedy sales vs. purchase price and now wants in.....lol

Edited by Mark101

29 minutes ago, sparky said:

I use a great set of  trade plate lads who know the job in the north east who regularly drop off down south and will also collect from Scotland. Happy to send their details over if required.

Send me their details mate and also your name so I can pass that info on and hopefully get you a little something out of it. Cheers 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Send me their details mate and also your name so I can pass that info on and hopefully get you a little something out of it. Cheers 

Will do mate. That's very kind but no need for that :)

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

My most embarrassing moment at auction was when one of my customers said can I come with you one day (how do you say no).  Anyway, he's a lovely chap and we talk quite regularly now.

He came with me once and I was bidding on a BMW 1 Series which I had earmarked.  I really wanted this and won it (sold within 1 day).  Anyway, trying to keep my cool, looking like I know what I am doing, keeping it very much matter a fact etc, hammer drops and my "new" friend runs up to me in the rostrum, throws his arms around me and shouts - you won it yeeeessssss!!!!

I also bought an A4 same day and that also sold very quickly - of course, he has witnessed the speedy sales vs. purchase price and now wants in.....lol

:lol::lol::lol:

I wouldn't died. There and then. Dropped dead of embarrassment.

I love high mileage stuff, normally been sat on the motorway most of its life, rarely have to change a clutch on higher miles, but once I get a car with 50k - 60k I have less luck

10 hours ago, boring dave said:

clear head, not hungry, comfortable shoes,(no pointees) nice warm coat possibly hat and be willing to stand around for hours

only ever sit down if you have to

its surprising what you will buy as others have said, that you would never consider from your keyboard

main thing is dont get into a club of other traders that stand round taliking,its the easiest way to miss your car or a bargain

21 hours ago, Dlloyds said:

On Monday I ended up buying a Kia Sportage which is something I would never have considered to be fair. 

Hi Dean :)

SNAP !!

I also bought a Kia on Monday, a Sorento thingy..... I’d never even looked at a Kia before, it was cheap and I’ve taken an educated punt...

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Hi Dean :)

SNAP !!

I also bought a Kia on Monday, a Sorento thingy..... I’d never even looked at a Kia before, it was cheap and I’ve taken an educated punt...

Great minds and all that.

let see how they go. If they are good news let’s keep it to ourselves ha ha.

1 minute ago, Dlloyds said:

let see how they go. If they are good news

They are until you need to buy any "dealer only" parts. Every time I call the parts dept for something he starts with "Are you sitting down..." 

A couple of months ago I needed a diff for a Hyundai Santa Fe (Kia Sorentos use the same diff). £3100 without the electromagnetic coupling. The breaker that sold me a used one (with coupling) for £290 clearly hadn't done his homework...