Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

2006 mercedes w203 c220 cdi estate

MOT tester help required.....

Just taken this banger in, its failed MOT on both door mirror indicators not working........ Am I right in thinking if they are masked off then it'll pass ?.... or if it has aftermarket universal mirrors fitted (without indicators) it'll pass, or do I have to get robbed by ebay for a used pair ? 

I’m not an MOT tester but you have to have side indicators.

On the E-classes 99% it’s the pisspoor wires & C-classes look a similar design (and probably manufacturer). You’ll get to them by forcing back the mirrors, adding wires, joining them up - a couple of hours fiddling about & swearing. Search the internet for a tutorial.

You’ll see the wires in these ‘quality’ cars are barely 1mm and go brittle. They are the worst wiring I’ve ever seen in any car bar none. Pitiful pfennig pinching.

is easy

then see if you can split the light to replace what i guess are 501 bulbs

heat gun is your friend throughout

32 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’m not an MOT tester but you have to have side indicators.

On the E-classes 99% it’s the pisspoor wires & C-classes look a similar design (and probably manufacturer). You’ll get to them by forcing back the mirrors, adding wires, joining them up - a couple of hours fiddling about & swearing. Search the internet for a tutorial.

You’ll see the wires in these ‘quality’ cars are barely 1mm and go brittle. They are the worst wiring I’ve ever seen in any car bar none. Pitiful pfennig pinching.

31 minutes ago, boring dave said:

is easy

then see if you can split the light to replace what i guess are 501 bulbs

heat gun is your friend throughout

Thanks Gents, I don't actually do any mechanical work, I just make things worse :) ... ebay are wanting £75 each side for used door mirrors. Bugger that I say.....  :rolleyes:

FFS !!

They are LEDs not bulbs, second those mirrors will be ruined if you force them back, most W203 C Class have Powerfold mirrors and forcing them back just wrecks the motor system, I know that 'cos my stupid neighbour did it !!

Your problem is likely the connectors between the LED Indicator Repeaters and the Wiring plug inside the Mirror, it takes 5 minutes to get the covers off the mirrors, then use copious contact cleaner and distort the pis slightly for a tighter fit then they will work again.

I do plenty of MB Indicator Repeaters, 99% are bad connections ;) 

HTH

pins !! not pis lol

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Thanks Gents, I don't actually do any mechanical work, I just make things worse :) ... ebay are wanting £75 each side for used door mirrors. Bugger that I say.....  :rolleyes:

That's not as bad as the £180 for used A class facelift ones we found...I hate powerfold indicator mirrors with a passion!

Does the indicator portion not come off? When I’ve had similar needs the indicator unit was cheaper from merc themselves rather than eBay etc. 25 quid ish each....

Had to replace a door mirror indicator unit on a CLK recently, push in two clips behind mirror with a flathead and they slide out. Mercedes had them on the shelf and cheaper than the local breakers. 

Replace the door mirror? Just replace the indicator part instead... as Dave said... it needs diagnosed first... 5 mins should do by a competent mechanic. 

Edited by Stalker

Very common for these to fail. The indicators are cheapish for the main dealers, about £20 and they always have them on the shelf. However the wiring / plugs in the mirror also break, but still an easy fix usually.

12 hours ago, palomine motors said:

Does the indicator portion not come off? When I’ve had similar needs the indicator unit was cheaper from merc themselves rather than eBay etc. 25 quid ish each....

12 hours ago, Stalker said:

Replace the door mirror? Just replace the indicator part instead... as Dave said... it needs diagnosed first... 5 mins should do by a competent mechanic. 

12 hours ago, Frazbomb said:

Very common for these to fail. The indicators are cheapish for the main dealers, about £20 and they always have them on the shelf. However the wiring / plugs in the mirror also break, but still an easy fix usually.

12 hours ago, Merlot said:

Had to replace a door mirror indicator unit on a CLK recently, push in two clips behind mirror with a flathead and they slide out. Mercedes had them on the shelf and cheaper than the local breakers. 

Exactly that, usual price depending on model averages around £25 squid

Most MB have the Mirror Cover spring clips in different places, model series to model series.

Until you get used to them Google / You Tube is your friend ;) 

And remember, on MB Mirrors always use the motors to move stuff, don't force things or you will FUBAR the Mirror 

I usually remove the Mirror Glass first, again Google where the metal Clip is, it just saves that pop, smash, oh bollocks moment and makes it easier to slide the cover off and on ;)

HTH

Oh and don't buy the 7.50 ebay chinese ones unless you want a load of random error reports on the Dash Cluster from DCM :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Exactly that, usual price depending on model averages around £25 squid

Most MB have the Mirror Cover spring clips in different places, model series to model series.

Until you get used to them Google / You Tube is your friend ;) 

And remember, on MB Mirrors always use the motors to move stuff, don't force things or you will FUBAR the Mirror 

I usually remove the Mirror Glass first, again Google where the metal Clip is, it just saves that pop, smash, oh bollocks moment and makes it easier to slide the cover off and on ;)

HTH

Oh and don't buy the 7.50 ebay chinese ones unless you want a load of random error reports on the Dash Cluster from DCM :rolleyes:

You advice is much appreciated Dave ;)