got a tax refund yesterday

checked online car showing as not taxed

rang dvla this morning they say i taxed it at local PO in my name

not so

rang customer up to advice him not to use car till sorted

he got a tax refund yesterday too

he still has new keeper slip correctly filled in and stamped by PO

he has also received the v5c in his name

dvla say we made a mistake and customer has to ring them monday,they wouldnt even give me an address to complain to

BE WARNED

will update if they will talk to me again monday on behalf of customer as car now not registered to me

hes obviously livid too

Problem is when it works, it works beautifully, but when it doesn't the results can be catastrophic and extremely difficult to get corrected due to the offices being closed

And who's expected to clear up all the mess afterwards? Nobody in Swansea is going to take one for the team, are they?

I won't say I told you so.......yet.

This exact thing happened to me. But the refund went to previous keeper. Luckily he was honest and told me that he received a refund which prompted me to investigate and realise the new car on the road had become untaxed, even though I went to the post office and taxed it myself.

So from now on, i give the new keeper the green slip and tell them that it is their responsibly to ensure that the car is taxed and let them know this can be done online at home or at a post office.

They always seem happy enough and it is a good way of keeping me in the clear if there are any repercussions like this in the future.

Sadly sounds like a shambles, was always wondering when it was first mentioned about any tax refund going direct to the owner on the V5 how long it'd be before it became a nightmare.  :(

well

after phoning this morning and trying to be fobbed off as not the owner data protection bla bla bla i finally got them to listen to sense

they still blame the post office even though i told them the post office only saw the new keeper slip

they have assured me the car is now taxed and backdated to the date in december and we are to send the cheque in,ive given customer that job and told him to send it recorded delivery and to see if his car reappears as taxed on the dvla website in the days to come

we shall see

i was told to keep my cheque so will cash it in if and when everything seems sorted,a nice bottle of malt sounds good

forgot to add i too have decided from now on not to tax cars for customers unless absolutely necessary, as 

jamslug

says too

This car still not showing as taxed on dvla website, there's no point in me ringing them again or contacting customer because i know i will get some blame somehow