Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Derivaties

What resources do you lot use (apart from your experience which is of great use to you but not to me!) to determine ranking of specification models by manufacturer?

Put a simpler way, S-Line would be the top line for Audi, followed by SE? BMW would be M-Sport followed by Sport? or SE? 

Parkers have a simple enough guide but do they rank them on their site? Here's an example;

https://www.parkers.co.uk/mercedes-benz/e-class/estate-2010/specs/ 

So Standard trim would be the entry level, then SE edition 125, then avantgarde edition and so on, all the way up to AMG night edition.  Is that ranked low to high in your eyes or have they just put them in any old how?

Any other resources that I can use to help me determine which are the more desirable (in theory) derivatives?

I'll await the old school mob on here telling me it's all "upstairs" and only thousands of years worth of service in the salt mines will allow me such information but hopefully the new school mob will recognise t'internet is a marvellous creation and be using a decent source of information?

Ta muchly

As soon as I get a new-to-me model I will download several UK PDF brochures from the year the model came out. And a separate PDF price list. Then you can easily see the model "rankings" and the price difference between entry level and higher spec models. Well illustrated with the previous Jag XF in UK spec: Luxury > Premium Luxury > Portfolio > XFR (and an S version of each) in US Spec XF > XF Premium > XF Premium with Portfolio package > XF Supercharged > XFR

As far as desirability is concerned it's slightly harder. You can have a very nice and easy to deal with mature buyer that would NEVER consider an M Sport BMW because of the firm ride so for them an SE will be more desirable. If you ask several buyers if a gold 330i SE Auto with creme leather is more desirable than a black 330i M-Sport manual with black leather the answer will not be same for everyone. 

I just look at what would appeal to a larger number of customers and because I have a preference for finance deals my stock is chosen so it appeals to the slightly younger audience. And even then a 70 year old chap comes and buys a convertible german-whip with dark alloys :-)

Thanks Nick, it wasn’t so much as to what was more desirable it was more a case of how the manufacturer rank their trim levels. 

14 minutes ago, EPV said:

it was more a case of how the manufacturer rank their trim levels

I guess in that case the pricing from their price list will show. Or the Parkers guide of course, they always know everything :-) 

Hi EPV

I am unsure what you mean.One thing you may struggle to do is rock up to say Chelmsford,Colchester or B/Bushe on big sale days and  expect to buy the most desirable high spec stock.Alternativeley you can do the opposite.As an example,you could buy a cheap poverty model ( that’s entry level to Top Gear fans ) A3 in black or doom blue and shit brown leather trim and improve it with current model new oversized copy Chinese alloys and tyres,some sort of spoiler,chrome w/mirror and rear light cluster covers or similar shit and you have created your own ‘special edition’ and you just have to give it a name.You will still have plenty of margin and the phone will ring.

Back down the salt mines....er ....Puerto Portals Mallorca

4 hours ago, tradex said:

Google Parkers Guide, it's all on thereB)

EPV, I find  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ to be really useful, there's a wealth of knowledge there including Model history, specs, faults & recalls, also real-time MPG.... use it all the time ;)

Back in the Stone Age we had a little book with prices in, funnily enough they were typically in order of spec base, L, GL, GLS, CD etc... If you wanted to know more info like which model was fitted with luxuries like a passenger door mirror or side repeaters then you would look in the check book which had all the info you ever wanted! Sad I know but as soon as the new months copy arrived (usually one or two days before the end of the month) I used to read every page. Aaah the good old days! 

1 minute ago, MGM said:

Back in the Stone Age we had a little book with prices in, funnily enough they were typically in order of spec base, L, GL, GLS, CD etc... If you wanted to know more info like which model was fitted with luxuries like a passenger door mirror or side repeaters then you would look in the check book which had all the info you ever wanted! Sad I know but as soon as the new months copy arrived (usually one or two days before the end of the month) I used to read every page. Aaah the good old days! 

I have one of the very last CAP black book issued on my desk, I couldn't bare to throw it away... I still use it continually. Mark if you can get hold of a CAP book its also a wealth of knowledge. 

27 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

EPV, I find  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ to be really useful, there's a wealth of knowledge there including Model history, specs, faults & recalls, also real-time MPG.... use it all the time ;)

Perfect, thanks S. along with the cam belt app you’ve been really helpful today mate. 

Just now, EPV said:

Perfect, thanks S. along with the cam belt app you’ve been really helpful today mate. 

I'm gonna start charging soon.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I'm gonna start charging soon.....

Worth every shekkel solomon, oi voy boychick 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Worth every shekkel solomon, oi voy boychick 

Can anyone decipher the above into Devonshire ? 

18 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Can anyone decipher the above into Devonshire ? 

Ooooohh arrrrrr, trac’or comboine aaaaaaaaarvester 

Just now, EPV said:

Ooooohh arrrrrr, trac’or comboine aaaaaaaaarvester 

lol. Have you been out on the lash all afternoon........ 

being an old git i tend to look through the cars on offer rather than cars i  would like to buy but are not available

i then go through the list and work out if i can make a dolla on anything

if i can i then look on autotrader to see what something very similar is retailing for in a 20 mile radious

i dont care what spec it is

27 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

being an old git i tend to look through the cars on offer rather than cars i  would like to buy but are not available

i then go through the list and work out if i can make a dolla on anything

if i can i then look on autotrader to see what something very similar is retailing for in a 20 mile radious

Each to their own mate eh

1 hour ago, chief nut job said:

I so wish the buying public were like you. 

Life would've been much much easier :-) 

Probably why Vauxhall called their most basic models "Life". As in "get a life" the cheeky gits...

Doesn't everyone know this anyway, because they like cars ?

1 minute ago, twerp said:

Doesn't everyone know this anyway, because they like cars ?

No. I don’t see how I could possibly know how what trim levels of each manufacturer are ranked. 

45 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I so wish the buying public were like you. 

Life would've been much much easier :-) 

Probably why Vauxhall called their most basic models "Life". As in "get a life" the cheeky gits...

Best one from Vauxhall is “Enjoy” 

As if anybody would!

10 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

As if anybody would!

best one was the nissan microwave i never found how to use it though because i never got one with a handbook

Edited by chief nut job

12 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

EnVoy :-) I hated them. Don't see them anymore which is good. 

8 hours ago, David Ayers said:

As if anybody would!

WTF does Adam mean ? What a cretinous name for a Motor 

1 minute ago, twerp said:

'Named after thr founder of Opel, Adam Opel'

Lol..... Really, didn’t know that. I suppose it’s along the same lines an an Enzo Panda.. o:D

• Like 1