Sign in to follow this  
Trident

advice: Ford Focus 1.0 SCTi EcoBoost Zetec do I/dont I??

Had an enquiry to part x in a 1.0 ecoboost focus with o/s finance, not had any dealings with them till now, cap says no previous keepers, so that reads to me '1' keeper BUT... the vehicle has had 50 searches in it's lifetime!!! looks like the guy took out finance in 2015 and now wants out, not a problem, but the question is A/ why so many searches and B/ are these any good to retail, i'm tempted to say not interested but don't want to be scared off from the search side if it's a good retail vehicle...any advice on these cars greatly appreciated...

Obviously all Focus and Fiestas are very popular cars but my experience is a Zetec is a hard sell as people want Titanium. I’d also say they are “pitch” cars or supermarket cars as they are plentiful and people have lots to choose from.

I’d say you’ll sell it easier if you can price it up dirt cheap and as long as it’s not silver. When there’s plenty of choice the one thing that will set you apart is choice. 

As for the number of searches I wouldn’t worry about it. It could be a multitude of reasons, he could be the type to want to chop his cars in but changes his mind or he may be the type that wants retail money for his car so he keeps asking various dealers for prices?

If you’re a home trader like me i’d be bidding him in the nuts as frankly I wouldn’t really want it. It took me 75 days to get shot of a 2012 1.6 Zetec Focus which was silver. The silver 2013 1.6 Titanium Focus I had sold in half that time. I wouldn’t stock them again unless silly money. 

*price not choice*

Cheers EPV, weve got a well positioned forecourt, but sell commercials now!! so will be bidding low as its against a van so don't really want it! seems he is having trouble with moving it on, he's a million miles from us and has obviously done the rounds, so why end up so far from home??

If it's a Zetec then having the Appearance pack will sell it.

If it's an early one Google the problems with the Ecoboost engine. That might make your decision easier!

so hes hawked it to 50 dealers who said no

so now hes trying to offload it to the van market?

have you seen the car

maybe ill maintained?

55 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

If it's a Zetec then having the Appearance pack will sell it.

If it's an early one Google the problems with the Ecoboost engine. That might make your decision easier!

It's 2013, are you referring to the coolant pipe issue and blown engines? 

2 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

so hes hawked it to 50 dealers who said no

so now hes trying to offload it to the van market?

have you seen the car

maybe ill maintained?

Yes, really weird!! so it started life in 2013, had 24 searches prior to the finance being taken out by this chap in 2015 - so i'm guessing main dealer had trouble getting shot of it, auction checks/trade checks and one finance check in that time! 6 finance checks when he took out the finance another 5 sep-nov trade checks so obviously tried to offload then, and so now between 12/6 and today 8 checks including 'lil' 'ol me... so, why have all these garages checked it and not taken it further, i'm intrigued! anyway, i've offered him a fair low price cause i'm nice like that ^_^ and we will see if anything comes of it, always up for a challenge...

ps Chief nut job - i havent seen it yet, he's moon miles away, so im not going to worry about seeing his until/if i get him through finance - that's a long shot in itself...

We've got one down the yard. 13 plate...head gasket failure. How long till bonfire night. 

Got a trader coming to view it tomorrow. Fingers crossed. He knows about the problem and says not a problem to him. 

Wouldnt touch another. Only heard problems with this engine from our side of things. 

27 minutes ago, RHO said:

We've got one down the yard. 13 plate...head gasket failure. How long till bonfire night. 

Got a trader coming to view it tomorrow. Fingers crossed. He knows about the problem and says not a problem to him. 

Wouldnt touch another. Only heard problems with this engine from our side of things. 

they are a cracking lump but like so many things these days are built on the edge of their limits,i would only want one with a manufacturers warranty still running,i go back to my post as most people who run cars like these never get them serviced  and only get rid  when they are advised  its on borrowed time

3 hours ago, tradex said:

Do they come apart ok, some of these newer engines don't tear down well? 

does anything come apart anymore,i believe the north star engine started the one life throw it away syndrome

It’s a Focus in silver.....what silver ! nobody wants them !....If it is a proper car and it all stacks up,what’s the problem......I am sorry but if you cannot value a Focus ,some  people might say ‘time to shut the doors’.

Seems like a lucky escape then, sold the van this morning on a 'snooze you lose' basis...B)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trident said:

Seems like a lucky escape then, sold the van this morning on a 'snooze you lose' basis...B)

cool

i assume trade vet is a part time masochist:P

1 hour ago, chief nut job said:

cool

i assume trade vet is a part time masochist:P

In the past I have often created a market in stuff that the trade would not touch,be it Lotus Europas,Ladas,Princesses,Maestro ,90 day blue Sierras  and Mondeos and ex Police patrol cars plus  a few more I have forgotten.I would say that these 1ltre Focus’s will be a good pensioner buy for those who do 2-3k miles per year because they will be cheap to buy and run and have a newer plate.They won’t all be bad news,you just have to be carefull.

8 hours ago, trade vet said:

It’s a Focus in silver.....what silver ! nobody wants them !....If it is a proper car and it all stacks up,what’s the problem......I am sorry but if you cannot value a Focus ,some  people might say ‘time to shut the doors’.

Haha...Someone got out of bed the wrong side!!! who said it was silver? it was blue... valuing it was never the problem, as i said  we gave a low ball offer,  the question  was " A/ why so many searches and B/ are these any good to retail " or in other words, why is the pillock trying to offload a car against a van hours away when no garage near him will touch it?? perhaps i should have been more blunt, i guess the guy didn't like my low offer - such a shame, but sold the Transporter, so... will be keeping the doors open for business till i can't be arsed anymore...;)

If that’s your attitude why didn’t you just ask the man himself for an explanation?

1 hour ago, BHM said:

If that’s your attitude why didn’t you just ask the man himself for an explanation?

what the all buyers are liers bloke..................let me just think about that one for trident...............shuffles off with his head in his handsssssssssssssssss

On 28/06/2018 at 9:57 AM, Trident said:

Had an enquiry to part x in a 1.0 ecoboost focus with o/s finance, not had any dealings with them till now, cap says no previous keepers, so that reads to me '1' keeper BUT... the vehicle has had 50 searches in it's lifetime!!! looks like the guy took out finance in 2015 and now wants out, not a problem, but the question is A/ why so many searches and B/ are these any good to retail, i'm tempted to say not interested but don't want to be scared off from the search side if it's a good retail vehicle...any advice on these cars greatly appreciated...

I actually had to check my CAP history because this was the exact situation I had with a Focus on one of our vans a few months back, guy enquired several times but would never deal.

My customers was a TDCi though!

15 hours ago, Trident said:

Haha...Someone got out of bed the wrong side!!! who said it was silver? it was blue... valuing it was never the problem, as i said  we gave a low ball offer,  the question  was " A/ why so many searches and B/ are these any good to retail " or in other words, why is the pillock trying to offload a car against a van hours away when no garage near him will touch it?? perhaps i should have been more blunt, i guess the guy didn't like my low offer - such a shame, but sold the Transporter, so... will be keeping the doors open for business till i can't be arsed anymore...;)

Hi Trident

I wasn’t referring to you,you sell vans so you need a bid.Its the others with their steer clear of Focuses bad news advice etc.

I think they're ok after 2014/2015

From day one there was a lot of the early cars in the non runner section

1 hour ago, twerp said:

I think they're ok after 2014/2015

From day one there was a lot of the early cars in the non runner section

Just like the Subaru Diesel engine - every other one seems to be advertised/auctioned with engine issues. I’ve never had one and, I guess, never will.

24 minutes ago, BHM said:

Just like the Subaru Diesel engine - every other one seems to be advertised/auctioned with engine issues. I’ve never had one and, I guess, never will.

Yep - funny you say that. Years ago I was in Bedford picking up when a 3 year old Legacy Diesel drove past in the yard knocking like crazy. 

I don't even look at them now.