Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Self Administered Warranties

Today, I have emailed a few of my customers over the last few months asking whether they would be prepared to leave feedback on my AT account, risky I know.

One emailed back saying she had to have her car repaired due to a water leak and Warrantywise wouldn't cover it (Platinum Warranty) as was an existing fault - news to me.  I have just paid her bill becuase I believe after 2 weeks that it should be covered.

Another, Mini Cooper - wheel bearing - Warrantywise wouldn't pay - not covered only gearbox bearings covered? (only a bronze warranty due to age).

Needless to say, just ordered 50 Lawgistics self administered booklets because I believe we should pay for genuine claims such as above after a very short period.

I know, I was warned.....

Two words spring to mind; Why bother?

51 minutes ago, BHM said:

Because online feedback is important these days. I know you don’t think so, you have your opinion but people buy online these days and one of the first things they do, is read reviews. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Which bit, warranty, reviews or both?

I think I know your answer.

I was mortified that a recent customer (less than 2 weeks ago) was sold a car by me with a top warranty and she was let down - didn’t even ask me to help, just accepted that it wasn’t covered.  That is not how I operate, I am a professional and will stand by my cars unless specifically agreed at POS that they want a deal to take as is etc.

So I paid WW £100+ for their Platinum Warranty and just paid another £197 to have her car fixed (I knew nothing about it until I asked for a review - glad I did because this was 100% the right thing to do)

Exercise the 30 day money back guarantee. I hammer my WW rep when I get a rejected claim and threaten to move unless we get a result for the customer (warranty money back as a contribution / claim paid).

5 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

Exercise the 30 day money back guarantee. I hammer my WW rep when I get a rejected claim and threaten to move unless we get a result for the customer (warranty money back as a contribution / claim paid).

Should I do this on all policies under the 30 day threshold or just the one in question?

Never using them again - never like Quentin Wilson anyway and at least I don’t have to see his smug mug on my desk anymore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Should I do this on all policies under the 30 day threshold or just the one in question?

Never using them again - never like Quentin Wilson anyway and at least I don’t have to see his smug mug on my desk anymore.

Mark - Good move and I like the way you are standing by your customers I am the same. We used to use Warrantywise and it was a constant battle getting claims paid out for us and for our customers. The service was just terrible. Spent thousands with them and then thousands again fixing stuff they didn't cover.

After this we switched to a company that did the admin and managed our own fund. Its nice as it puts a bit of distance between you and the customer and if its something not covered they call you and say do you want to do it and then they tell the customer dealers looked after you and stepped in which helps, not that you get a thank you. Never looked back and sent you a PM with the name and contact number for the company now. 

We were always in profit and had a run of big bills and cars that went wrong at one point and it was really nice to have the funds in the pot to fall back on. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Do it on all the policies and if they ask why say that you have had a claim rejected that clearly should have been paid, explain that you have lost all confidence in them because of this situation and as a result are exercising the 30 day money back guarantee.

I do this on a somewhat regular basis to get my own way, not that I enjoy it but it does work.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Which bit, warranty, reviews or both?

I think I know your answer.

If the word BOTH spring to mind you are correct.

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Because online feedback is important these days. I know you don’t think so, you have your opinion but people buy online these days and one of the first things they do, is read reviews. 

I’ll have to let my buyers know.

I must be doing something wrong, I thought perhaps it’s my honest descriptions, competitive pricing & straight talk that gained me sales.

At this point I’ll bow out because we all know I’m not going to agree with most of you on this. I’ll enjoy reading grown men almost in tears over negative reviews soon......

We have been  throwing in our own warranties for 20 years.Not only does it save you money in the short term it has been an outstanding long term investment for us as  it definateley generates repeat business.If you have your own workshop,we found it works even better with the increase in service work.The thought of shelling out to warranty companies gives me a headache,although I have to say, if I was a doorstepper doing 2 or 3 per week,I would probably be outsourcing warranties.

1 hour ago, AutoJacob said:

Do it on all the policies and if they ask why say that you have had a claim rejected that clearly should have been paid, explain that you have lost all confidence in them because of this situation and as a result are exercising the 30 day money back guarantee.

I do this on a somewhat regular basis to get my own way, not that I enjoy it but it does work.

Why should you have to fight? The amount of times that just left me annoyed for the next punter that walked in or frustrated speaking to someone in the claims department who did not give AF. 

And the line that used to really annoy me when having something rejected was when they made out I should be grateful that they had paid out a previous claim as goodwill.....its my money in the account FFS. 

Warrantywise are quite simply the worst company I have ever dealt with in the motor trade.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

If the word BOTH spring to mind you are correct.

I’ll have to let my buyers know.

I must be doing something wrong, I thought perhaps it’s my honest descriptions, competitive pricing & straight talk that gained me sales.

At this point I’ll bow out because we all know I’m not going to agree with most of you on this. I’ll enjoy reading grown men almost in tears over negative reviews soon......

As I said, I know what your opinion is on this but it’s a fact of life that internet shopping is supported by reviews. It’s not something I worry about but I do collect reviews as every little helps. 

Just because you do well without having reviews isn’t conclusive proof that they are worthless. Just as my experience of a few of my buyers mentioning my positive reviews isn’t proof that people won’t buy without them. 

I've been using the administered package from lawgistics and no complaints yet, booklets look professional and I use their PDI and sales forms too. 

I think the absolute worst thing you can do is trawl past customers and ask for positive feedback,they nearly always say whilst your on i have a small problem

my customers are told repeatedly before we make a sale that im here if they need me as first port of call

i self warrant and self repair

the only jobs ive farmed out are clutches

saved pots of money over the years and i learnt it from an auction house that put all the indemnities in a very big safe and usually paid out straight away if any problems,what was left bought the owner a very nice hacienda

i meant to add use a third party if touting for feedback just like all the big boys do including banks

Edited by chief nut job
third party

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Warrantywise are quite simply the worst company I have ever dealt with in the motor trade.

Not according to Tom ;)

Right, had WW on the line today after sending a stinking email, with some bullshit about they haven't actually rejected the claim, just that the lady hadn't followed the correct procedure and would I consider staying with them if they contributed to the cost - this is where I lost my shit....

I said that I couldn't give a shit about the £200 it cost to fix the car, I care that a nice straight forward young lady bought a car from me in good faith and it failed within 2 weeks - she called you for assistance and you said no, well you didn't say yes.  Had she had called me, wear and tear or anything at all within a couple of weeks, I would have paid out and she would have been happy - can you promise you will do that? No, instead you insist on her following a set procedure when she is already probably upset about her new car failing and then reject it anyway.

Long and short, pay me back for the last 7 warranties and cancel my account - job done!

Possibly an absolutely ridiculous question and I'm already regretting writhing this but....the CRA2015 is effectively a warranty in itself right? is it or would it be illegal to advertise the car as having a 6 month warranty and then advise the buyer that the warranty is the CRA2015? 

If you wish to "self-administer" that is

2 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

I'm already regretting writhing this

Then you should've hit delete instead of submit.

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Right, had WW on the line today after sending a stinking email, with some bullshit about they haven't actually rejected the claim, just that the lady hadn't followed the correct procedure and would I consider staying with them if they contributed to the cost - this is where I lost my shit....

I said that I couldn't give a shit about the £200 it cost to fix the car, I care that a nice straight forward young lady bought a car from me in good faith and it failed within 2 weeks - she called you for assistance and you said no, well you didn't say yes.  Had she had called me, wear and tear or anything at all within a couple of weeks, I would have paid out and she would have been happy - can you promise you will do that? No, instead you insist on her following a set procedure when she is already probably upset about her new car failing and then reject it anyway.

Long and short, pay me back for the last 7 warranties and cancel my account - job done!

I call that moving forward with your plan to self administer... onward, NEXT ! (well done)

I'm pretty sure if WW knew their process was being reviewed here on a trader forum they would drop a brick, rough surface, and sideways.... after all it is traders who really will sell their product and make them the most! 

Follows on nicely to your reviews comment Mark.. having read all this about WW, how will motor traders do it in future I wonder..?

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

Then you should've hit delete instead of submit.

Or even advertise that the car is "protected" under the CRA2015, keep your claims fund going in the meanwhile?

15 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

Or even advertise that the car is "protected" under the CRA2015, keep your claims fund going in the meanwhile?

Many people already know the CRA - from reading forums, often misguided by the way.  Why would you advertise it?

I think you're reading too much Benjiv - just buy a car, prep it well, make sure service history is in date (or do it), get it sold.  Deal with claims morally - for example, wear and tear is largely excluded from warranties but (sometimes) things get missed and if after a few weeks a brake pad warning light comes on (presuming they haven't clocked up overmileage), then I would do that - morally, this is correct.  If on the other hand, someone phones after 3 months, you need to be firm and say that the brake pads are obviously a service item and not a fault.  It's just about being a decent human being, treat others as you would wish to be treated and all that.

9 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Many people already know the CRA - from reading forums, often misguided by the way.  Why would you advertise it?

I think you're reading too much Benjiv - just buy a car, prep it well, make sure service history is in date (or do it), get it sold.  Deal with claims morally - for example, wear and tear is largely excluded from warranties but (sometimes) things get missed and if after a few weeks a brake pad warning light comes on (presuming they haven't clocked up overmileage), then I would do that - morally, this is correct.  If on the other hand, someone phones after 3 months, you need to be firm and say that the brake pads are obviously a service item and not a fault.  It's just about being a decent human being, treat others as you would wish to be treated and all that.

completely agree Mark, are you considering using Lawgistics now?

8 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

completely agree Mark, are you considering using Lawgistics now?

Yes Benjiv - I have ordered 50 of their generic self administered books and I can't wait to use them.

I do my own invoices and PDI in Excel though becuase I think it looks far more professional than a hand written NCR pad, just my opinion (+ I love Excel being able to copy and paste VIN numbers between documents instead of hand writing them each time).

I sold a Clio last week and amoungst the paperwork was the previous dealers invoice and warranty - I shit you not, it was a rubber stamped A4 piece of paper with reg, model and price on - the warranty was the same format and said engine and gearbox only 3 months.

it just shows how clueless some buyers are if they are accepting docs like that form professional dealers!

52 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

- the warranty was the same format and said engine and gearbox only 3 months.

that is taking away consumer rights and would be viewed very badly by ts or a judge,dont copy it

1 hour ago, benjiv50 said:

Possibly an absolutely ridiculous question and I'm already regretting writhing this but....the CRA2015 is effectively a warranty in itself right? is it or would it be illegal to advertise the car as having a 6 month warranty and then advise the buyer that the warranty is the CRA2015? 

If you wish to "self-administer" that is

cra is in adition to any warranty offered or if you prefer you could say i comply with the cra

,i wouldnt be using it as a sales aid,either

offer a warranty or dont but dont disclaim consumer rights either on anything you write or print

ie sold as seen engine warranty etc it wont wash

just as said check thoroughly stand by your product and move on to the next sale

• Like 1