Sign in to follow this  
jan808

Buying a house - Title Deeds say no trading from home etc.

Hi All

Just started buying and selling from home but moving to a new house. Today I recevied the Deeds of the new property and it says no trading or running a business on the property. I guess I will have to speak to my solicitor about this but would like to know if anyone experienced this and is it something to worry about?

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Thanks

That’s very definitely a question for your solicitor. I assume it’s a covenant you’re referring to, if so you’re very probably knackered or you’ll have to buy out the covenant (if the covenant holder is open to offers).

If you’re a home trader I’d say it’s very possible the property isn’t for you or go & get yourself a job.

This needs looking into by your legal people; could be these smart arse lease holders have found another way to generate income by banning you from home working and thus forcing a conversation/buy out of the covenant = especially with some many people choosing to "work from home" be that self employed or for their employer...

Neighbours in future maybe unhappy if they find you have bought out the restriction (if you can) and then do trade from home..  Unless you have a unit away from the new address and just complete/store paperwork at home.. not sure they can do much about this..??

Wait until the government catch on to how many do run some form of business from home! Be a light bulb moment there for some rising star.. "tax 'em"... can hear it now..

Greetings on a Monday morning, may it be a busy week with limited tire kickers and all inbound lower than CAP below!

I think most houses have some kind of rule attached to them these days.

I worked for home for around 5 years, and the house has similar covenants. I only kept a couple of cars at home, rest in a nearby Hotel carpark , viewings by appointment etc ???

I had the council round once, he could see that I was trying to avoid upsetting neighbours, keeping it small  etc. That's was that, he never bothered me again.

48 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

This needs looking into by your legal people; could be these smart arse lease holders have found another way to generate income by banning you from home working and thus forcing a conversation/buy out of the covenant = especially with some many people choosing to "work from home" be that self employed or for their employer...

Neighbours in future maybe unhappy if they find you have bought out the restriction (if you can) and then do trade from home..  Unless you have a unit away from the new address and just complete/store paperwork at home.. not sure they can do much about this..??

Wait until the government catch on to how many do run some form of business from home! Be a light bulb moment there for some rising star.. "tax 'em"... can hear it now..

Greetings on a Monday morning, may it be a busy week with limited tire kickers and all inbound lower than CAP below!

Why has the lease holder got to be a smart ass?, We finished a development two years ago of 8 houses and had this clause put in, two reasons no 1 the building structural warranty company insisted upon it, no 2 over the years the two biggest headaches we have had from warranty claims came from people trading from home and using the properties for purposes they where not built for.

So seeing both sides of the argument on this one. .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jan808 said:

Hi All

Just started buying and selling from home but moving to a new house. Today I recevied the Deeds of the new property and it says no trading or running a business on the property. I guess I will have to speak to my solicitor about this but would like to know if anyone experienced this and is it something to worry about?

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Thanks

If your solicitor was awhere you run a business from home,it should have been pointed out to you  prior to exchange of contracts.

Is this a new build? There lots of covents on these properties, friends buying of persimmon, solicitots noticed it and said you cant park van at house? Persimmons sales knew he had a van, she even mentioned how big it was lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justina3 said:

Why has the lease holder got to be a smart ass?, We finished a development two years ago of 8 houses and had this clause put in, two reasons no 1 the building structural warranty company insisted upon it, no 2 over the years the two biggest headaches we have had from warranty claims came from people trading from home and using the properties for purposes they where not built for.

So seeing both sides of the argument on this one. .

Apprecicate youre seeing it from both sides of the coin here, however the post was about the problems faced by this new purchaser of the property in question and how it will affect is trading with vehicles... needless to say, and based on your additional input; it will be MUST HAVE on any potential for property purchases any "home trader/worker" may become involved in...

I can see it potentially being used to restrict a lot of new "work from home types" who do not operate or own a white van delivery businesses or drain oil from HGV's etc.. however with it being written in such a way as you state, it could / will prevent people working from home with just an internet connection and PC.. Caveat emptor

Having recently sold a four properties, and having read the deeds in some length, none contained such a restriction; I am pleased to say for their new owners..

With the media keen to highlight "working from home is now becoming the new norm" this problem flagged by the OP should be flagged in a wider audience... Never mind warranty companies wishing to cover themselves... 

At this rate, self employed wont be able to buy home to "work from".. no one is going to rent on the commercial terms unless absolutely necessary..

28 minutes ago, tradex said:

Would this also be a measure to ease parking 'issues'.....seems like new house never have enough parking?

Think you would have to say YES tradex.. British properties are some of the smallest in Europe, many with insufficient parking given most households start by having two cars

before the kids get vehicles.. any that rent seperate rooms out can be a nightmare as each renter may have a vehicle !

16 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Apprecicate youre seeing it from both sides of the coin here, however the post was about the problems faced by this new purchaser of the property in question and how it will affect is trading with vehicles... needless to say, and based on your additional input; it will be MUST HAVE on any potential for property purchases any "home trader/worker" may become involved in...

As in so many threads the discussion often goes off on a tangent, i was just commenting from both sides of the fence as a smart ass lease holder.

I like the old ‘rope design’ edging in glazed terracotta but the Mrs prefers the ‘half moon’ type from Homebase.