Marc

Car tax

Hi guys! I'm new to trading cars .I've bought many cars from auctions etc before but always registered them in my name. I'm now going to have a bash at full time motor trading albeit from home. So to the crux of the matter-ive got trade insurance but still waiting on trade plates. I've bought a car ,got v5 with just the yellow trader section sent off and since I'm using the vehicle I taxed it using green slip. When I sell the new owner will need to tax the car using same green slip.. Is this possible? I really don't want to add another name on v5.Any info v much appreciated 

Yes it is possible to tax twice (or multiple times) with the same V5C/2 reference number. 

It's best if you pay your tax by direct debit so you simply cancel the DD from your online banking when you sell the car. 

When you tax a car this way you can not drive it indefinitely. DVLA says that "within reasonable time" they need to be supplied with keeper details for taxed vehicles which are "in trade". Two three months should be OK. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

Hi Marc

Good Luck,the guys on here will keep you right.You can ask anything as long as you are not like Benji 50 who has tired out most of us with his contradictions.

29 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yes it is possible to tax twice (or multiple times) with the same V5C/2 reference number. 

It's best if you pay your tax by direct debit so you simply cancel the DD from your online banking when you sell the car. 

When you tax a car this way you can not drive it indefinitely. DVLA says that "within reasonable time" they need to be supplied with keeper details for taxed vehicles which are "in trade". Two three months should be OK. 

HI

Can you provide a link as the last letter i had from the dvla warned against dd and taxing whilst in trade

to marc............my insurer insists any users are in my trade name rather than just in trade if its been through more than one traders hands,be careful this one hasn't if your policy is like mine, LV

And welcome to the nuthouse:D

31 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Nik's rights, do it DD only and cancel when sold, if you pay 6 months upfront and your not the keeper you won't get the refund. Beware of taxing near the end of the month on DD, they'll take two payments in one go...

7 minutes ago, chief runnin bee said:

Why ? Just read 10.25 and it clearly says the following.

Comment From Richard.

I run a small sales business and have 5 guys working for me who all have use of a vehicle as part of their package. At present they generally use part exchanges which have tax and MOT. How will this affect me? Can we tax off the green slip for instance?

Wayne Stephens: After 1 October the vehicle should be registered to the dealer before they can be used for this purpose. Yes, the green slip can be used for this purpose. Alternatively, Trade Plates can be applied for to operate as a business.

I read it differently ( Yes if you have notified the car car is registered "in trade" to the dealer thus not adding a new keeper.... You can then tax via DD at will on the V5/2 ( specifically NOT ) adding a new keeper.. That's how I read it 

At the end of the day, if you TAX it it will not be showing up on the ANPR cameras. Unless its been a mule..... 

Plus add it to the MID. 

Thanks for replies. From reading that PDF it appears I'm better not using the car which isn't a big problem. As long as new owner can RE tax car using the same v5 then all will be good. Cheers

Nick, I hate being a pedantic tw*t,. I hope you're ok with my correction .. the DVLA requirement for notification of new keeper detail after taxing, whether online or paper document, is "forthwith" not "within a reasonable time".

The DVLA will, after a time ( only they know how long) of not being in possession of new keeper details, not take a pay monthly D/D rendering said vehicle untaxed, and at risk of clamping and fine.If you tax a car using D/D and not provide new keeper details keep an eye on your bank account to see it's been taken.

You can tell I didn't check enough and got caught out right ??

We have van's round our way with camera's checking for untaxed vehicles on roads or public access car parks, like pubs and hotels.

Marc you did say you'd taxed the car using the green slip already, so therefore DVLA will be expecting keeper details....the dilemma now is... can you sell it quick enough, or have you got to register yourself as a new keeper.....?

From our experience, the same as Nick and Arfur, you can tax more than once on the green slip..

Just doing this did make me wonder ...do DVLA ever look at forums like these...?

Ah it's not  straightforward then, hmm. I don't mind not using the car but dilemma would occur if I got a prospective buyer with no tax and no trade plates as of yet and I had to drive car from auction legally hence using green slip. A while back I bought an mk2 Audi tt from a dealer who was terrified of any buyer returning it(which I didn't) and he didn't send of v5 declaring sale. I eventually registered that car in my name ..from memory that was a good 3months without me on v5 

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

Ah it's not  straightforward then, hmm. I don't mind not using the car but dilemma would occur if I got a prospective buyer with no tax and no trade plates as of yet and I had to drive car from auction legally hence using green slip. A while back I bought an mk2 Audi tt from a dealer who was terrified of any buyer returning it(which I didn't) and he didn't send of v5 declaring sale. I eventually registered that car in my name ..from memory that was a good 3months without me on v5 

having had my trade plates since year dot what do they say in relation to when you can have them?

Definitely a greyish area. I'd agree,nearly all probably keep a V5 new keeper notification for at least 30 days..

I didn't want to be a total doomer.. just letting you know what could happen..experience counts but also you shouldn't over think these things..

Make getting your trade plates a priority..

Good luck with the new business.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim H said:

Nick, I hate being a pedantic tw*t,. I hope you're ok with my correction .. the DVLA requirement for notification of new keeper detail after taxing, whether online or paper document, is "forthwith" not "within a reasonable time".

Hi Tim, pedantic is good, that's what the forums are for. I wasn't actually quoting a printed document but what a lady from DVLA told me on the phone when I called them to enquire directly. At the time I needed to know how long do I have (officially) before making an online change of keeper notification and when she said Within reasonable time I asked her the question about road tax. She explained it quite well, an explanation which was good enough for me at the time and still is. 

The OP asked a very straightforward question and I still think the answer is "Yes, it's possible". It's a loophole that might be closed eventually but it's not yet. 

14 hours ago, Marc said:

When I sell, the new owner will need to tax the car using same green slip.. Is this possible? I really don't want to add another name on v5

We can do everything "By the book" but the job then becomes nearly impossible. I still display my trade plates on the windscreens for example...