tradegirl

How many chances do you give for viewing?

I have to say I disagree with some of the above. I’m happy to deal with prospective customers by phone, email or text. Some customers prefer to ask qs/chat by text and email. 

I wouldn’t necessarily favour one means of communication over another. 

A pain-in-the-arse customer is just that, irrespective of the means by which they communicate. 

+1, bite your tongue and get on with it, we're in retail, customers come in all shapes and sizes, knobs to white flaggers, just deal with it, the days of old are gone with social media and many forms of contact, take it in your stride but one thing I would do if dealing from home is have a separate number for business and turn it off at 1800hrs, let them leave a message and contact them during a normal working day, bollocks to all this late evening business. You're in control or you should perceive to be. 

Edited by Paddy

If you want hours of your life wasted by arseholes, dreamers & bottom-dollarers (if there’s such a word) then I wholeheartedly agree - conduct business by text message.

It’s not for me and the sort of timewasters & spineless scum who conduct their life hidden behind texts with their pitiful ‘text speak’ aren’t my sort of person.

I makes no difference whatsoever whether it’s a £300 p/x knacker “to clear” or a nice retail car at decent money - PROPER punters will phone. 

However I will concede that I’m fairly sure we’ll all end up just texting eventually- but I’ll be the last on that particular bandwagon. I’m a charmless f***er but I expect some basic courtesy from punters which is happily reciprocated from me. Call me old fashioned but part of that courtesy is the decency to make the effort to make personal contact over a business transaction  rather than texting like a 13 year old schoolgirl.

15 minutes ago, BHM said:

If you want hours of your life wasted by arseholes, dreamers & bottom-dollarers (if there’s such a word) then I wholeheartedly agree - conduct business by text message.

It’s not for me and the sort of timewasters & spineless scum who conduct their life hidden behind texts with their pitiful ‘text speak’ aren’t my sort of person.

I makes no difference whatsoever whether it’s a £300 p/x knacker “to clear” or a nice retail car at decent money - PROPER punters will phone. 

However I will concede that I’m fairly sure we’ll all end up just texting eventually- but I’ll be the last on that particular bandwagon. I’m a charmless f***er but I expect some basic courtesy from punters which is happily reciprocated from me. Call me old fashioned but part of that courtesy is the decency to make the effort to make personal contact over a business transaction  rather than texting like a 13 year old schoolgirl.

I’m sensing anger issues here - ha ha 

Know what you mean, you’re out and out scumbags love to hide behind a beautifully worded text message!

12 minutes ago, zappa_2001 said:

Know what you mean, you’re out and out scumbags love to hide behind a beautifully worded text message!

There is a world of difference between updating your ETA by text to trying to arrange an appointment. Time and a place for everything. 

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

There is a world of difference between updating your ETA by text to trying to arrange an appointment. Time and a place for everything. 

Abso-bloody-lutely!

30 minutes ago, zappa_2001 said:

Grrrrrr!!! Too right! Some of the bloody punters spoil this job! :lol:

17 hours ago, BHM said:

DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS BY TEXT. ITS A MUGS GAME.

This.

Should make that a number 1 rule on how to be a car dealer. 

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

+1, bite your tongue and get on with it, we're in retail, customers come in all shapes and sizes, knobs to white flaggers, just deal with it, the days of old are gone with social media and many forms of contact, take it in your stride but one thing I would do if dealing from home is have a separate number for business and turn it off at 1800hrs, let them leave a message and contact them during a normal working day, bollocks to all this late evening business. You're in control or you should perceive to be. 

Paddy, I do have a separate number for business, and genuinely don't mind someone calling me in the evening to enquire about a car. It's more the no shows or the window shoppers that really wind me up.

Especially when it's a Sunday and you've changed all your plans for a viewing, only for someone to rock up and say "Well we still have ours to sell", or "My budget is £500-1000 lower than the bloody asking price."

Going to start implementing everyone's pre-viewing filters I think.

But you're right. It's all part of the business. My brother is currently car shopping and he's seen 6 already, and he doesn't know yet if he wants a 1 series or a Golf because he's scared of the emissions fix. I think I'd hate him if he were one of my customers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tradegirl said:

Paddy, I do have a separate number for business, and genuinely don't mind someone calling me in the evening to enquire about a car. It's more the no shows or the window shoppers that really wind me up.

Especially when it's a Sunday and you've changed all your plans for a viewing, only for someone to rock up and say "Well we still have ours to sell", or "My budget is £500-1000 lower than the bloody asking price."

But you're right. It's all part of the business. My brother is currently car shopping and he's seen 6 already, and he doesn't know yet if he wants a 1 series or a Golf because he's scared of the emissions fix. I think I'd hate him if he were one of my customers!

My second question when someone calls, right after “have you watched the video I made” is “where abouts are you in your car buying journey? Have you looked at many others or have you made up your mind you want a Focus/Fiesta etc?”

You’ll know by their response what to expect. If they are the type that have seen loads of misdescribed crap then you have a great opportunity. If they say they have got 3 more to see after yours then i’d probably tell them to go and see the other three first and when they’re ready to buy come and see mine. 

I also NEVER do same day appointments. Nobody who says “we’re the area and wondered if we could come and see yours” ever buys. Well, not from me. Those that say “I love the colour” or “i’ve been looking for one with ivory leather and walnut dash” are ready to buy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I asked this exact question last year on the AT forum. How to do you filter the time wasters from the genuine buyers. And we couldn't agree a solution. Simon's deposit system is really good but it will not work for everyone, you can literally interview people on the phone and they tell lies OR sometimes they come to you with no intent of buying and they buy!

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

we’re the area and wondered if we could come and see yours

+1. Especially on a Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

i’ve been looking for one with ivory leather and walnut dash

Absolutely and also say "we have read your reviews, we are 80 miles away but can be with you in 2 hours, can you hold it for us"...

22 hours ago, EPV said:

I also NEVER do same day appointments. Nobody who says “we’re the area and wondered if we could come and see yours” ever buys. Well, not from me. Those that say “I love the colour” or “i’ve been looking for one with ivory leather and walnut dash” are ready to buy. 

Wow. Same day appointments are a significant part of my business. I agree the 'we are in the area' customers can be diificult to convert but dont think that just because someone calls on a saturday morning wont be buying on a saturday. Deal I did on saturday was exactly that. Called me at about 1230 on saturday, arrived at 3, bought it. Reason he made the decision on saturday? He had called another garage about a similar car at 930, not got his arse into gear and by the time he got there they had sold it. He didnt want to miss out on mine!

I only do same day appointments. If a punter says “I’m interested in xxxxx & will come in 3 days” I tell them to phone when they’re setting off.

I reserve nothing, don’t take a paltry deposit, it’s simply ‘First Come, First Served’ here.