Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Unwanted Part Exchange offers

What do you guys do with them?

Obviously I want a sale but I have a car I think will sell within a few weeks and i’m being offered a car that I think will take yonks to shift (630i vert in Silver)

Would you politely explain to mr customer that you don’t want his car because it doesn’t fit your stock profile or would you just bid him £500 under book and look to punt it on to the trade if he did bite?

I'd definitely low ball him, he might be lazy and take it.. then you're winning both ways.

Low ball.

However if you’ve someone with a £100 old banger (Sir, just because your 16 year old Fiesta only has 60,000 miles doesn’t mean it’s worth a fortune, especially with rotten wheelarches and a dent on every panel!) who thinks it’s worth the Earth I just tell them “Sorry, you seem like such nice people I wouldn’t want to offend you. Why not sell it yourself”. 

• Like 2

Again, low ball them.

That 630i convertible will probably appeal to many whom want a cheap cab/flash.

I low balled a PX 207CC (against Qashqai)  two weeks ago because I didn't want it and I still had the hateful 308CC.  Anyway, they couldn't be bothered and accepted my valuation.

I sold the car within 48 hours (+£900) and took another PX against that (same scenario on old Clio) and drew another +£400 off that.

Re rapid sale of PX 207 CC: Following many disapointed "sorry mate it's sold but I do have a 308CC" - sold that too (at long last)

Just saying..............

Edited by Mark101

very low ball, or we sometimes say its not a car that would be of interest to us.

12 hours ago, EPV said:

(630i vert in Silver)

I am loving learning the lingo from you experienced guys....

12 minutes ago, Dlloyds said:

I am loving learning the lingo from you experienced guys....

You definitely have me confused with someone else..

8 hours ago, BHM said:

Low ball.

However if you’ve someone with a £100 old banger (Sir, just because your 16 year old Fiesta only has 60,000 miles doesn’t mean it’s worth a fortune, especially with rotten wheelarches and a dent on every panel!) who thinks it’s worth the Earth I just tell them “Sorry, you seem like such nice people I wouldn’t want to offend you. Why not sell it yourself”. 

previous customer of mine  has just walked in offering me a mint 53 plate clio with fdh at £600 (its a relations who is packing in driving) i declined and told him to sell it himself as 15 year old car just bring trouble tomorrow or next week,shame but thats how it is

to the OP just say no or offer a figure where you can bail out at if you have to mug it

If you really dont fancy the swapper, dont bid at it. Because a really low bid can stop you getting the sale on the car you have. It may be a good idea to do a WBAC price on the BMW- that way you can show him what they will give him for it (!!) and explain it isnt your kind of thing. At least then you have tried to help.

Our first PX we got in was so crap that we offered nothing for it, and they still accepted that - And paid full asking price.

Sold it to the scrapper for £20 - Kerching!!!!

Sometimes a little bit of customer education helps. I just explain why I don't want it or explain why i'm bidding them in the nuts. No harm in being honest about it all so long as you give them a genuine reason. I usually try and get across that a part ex is effectively me buying their car and it's a car I wouldn't normally look to go out and buy unless it was silly money. 

5 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

If you really dont fancy the swapper, dont bid at it. Because a really low bid can stop you getting the sale on the car you have. It may be a good idea to do a WBAC price on the BMW- that way you can show him what they will give him for it (!!) and explain it isnt your kind of thing. At least then you have tried to help.

This is my thought process. 

I spoke to a bloke the other day when I was looking to buy his car and he kept repeating how he decided to sell it privately because the BMW garage offered him “such a derisory offer” and said that three times in 20 seconds. Some people, probably more so German prestige owners, look at a low ball offer in the same light as you setting fire to their children. 

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

This is my thought process. 

I spoke to a bloke the other day when I was looking to buy his car and he kept repeating how he decided to sell it privately because the BMW garage offered him “such a derisory offer” and said that three times in 20 seconds. Some people, probably more so German prestige owners, look at a low ball offer in the same light as you setting fire to their children. 

and did it need a clutch after you bought it

these people talking up their rubbish are usually hiding loads

Just now, chief runnin bee said:

and did it need a clutch after you bought it

I didn’t even get a chance to see it as he has someone coming tomorrow and he’s giving him first refusal. 

He was a proper BMW bore, telling me how he took his car back to a different garage as the previous one put the wrong oil in etc etc. A right boring cunt but his car is right up my street...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chief runnin bee said:

+1. Despite their big talk & brand snobbery half of them can’t afford to maintain their vehicle.

Always low ball... Anything that comes our way in terms of unwanted stock we go a few hundred UNDER CAP Below.  Never turn away a sale but don't get stuck with rubbish you don't want.  We then use Paddock Wood to sell our unwanted P/ex's