Sign in to follow this  
MattR

Hyundai i10 starting problem...

I was optimistic this morning. 2 appointments having treated myself to sunday and monday off, first appointment on an i10 which i moved out of its blocked in space, all fine, then start it with the customer  and it doesnt. Turns over but its like it has no fuel in. (it has far more than normal in, quarter of a tank!) Do get it going at about the 3rd time of asking. 

Anyone had this before? Dr Google suggesting an immobiliser fault, but the auto electrician i use hasnt had this before and he's normally seen everything before.

its a 59 reg i10 1.2, been well looked after (near full hyundai history). Any guiding hand appreciated before the game of parts darts begins......

Sounds like an immobiliser issue to me.

Had this before on a Picanto (same basic vehicle), and it was the immobiliser antenna which goes around the ignition barrel. It was only just out of it's manufacturers warranty so rocked up at Kia thinking they'd look after it under goodwill. Told us after using their "diagnostics equipment" on it that they'd need to strip the engine down as they suspected it was a camshaft issue (quite common on these) causing the issue, politely told them to go away and begrudgingly paid their £70 investigative fee.

Did our own investigations after it randomly failed to start multiple times again and on reading it we discovered a code that after some research pointed to the ignition antenna.

£15 for the part and 15 minutes to fit and no further issues, felt like asking the Kia dealer to pay for it was they failed to find the issue themselves!

Hi,had this on an i10 recently,all we did was move the antenna ring that sits around the ignition barrell a bit nearer the steering column plastic cowling,ie move it away from the steering column,it is held in with one scew so just slightly elongate the hole for the screw,we also unplugged the multi plug for the antenna and just tightened up/tweaked the connecters and plugged back in,see this customer regular(lives nearby)and he says all 100% now,regardsm,Peter 

We had this with a Hyundai Getz (08 '58 from memory), a few years ago, Googled the fault, on the Getz it was the two wire multiplug to the immobilizer antenna, we just had to cut out the multiplug and solder the wires and heat shrink them to get rid of the resistance of the plug.

Just thought I would update, I always find it frustrating when advice is requested and never followed up. Changed the crankshaft sensor and immobiliser antenna, problem has not returned since. So thank you for the tips! 

• Like 1

Good stuff. 

I always wondered how many BCA Non runners with immobiliser problems could be an easy fix.