Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

DSG box and warranty

Hey everyone. We've got a 2010 Skoda DSG (6 speed) 86k, FSH but no indication of anything done to the gearbox.

We bought it as non-runner and the gearbox needed recoding to start. The battery was faulty, and I don't know if that kicked the coding out. In any case, it runs fine, run it daily myself. Sometimes bangs into reverse a little, but 9/10 times it has no issues.

I'd love to warranty this one, but we've changed about 6 DSG gearboxes since we've been trading. Even the gearbox repair guys ask us why we keep buying DSG boxes.
What would you do with this one? We don't have any third party warranties in place, so any repairs come out of our pocket. I trust the car, but who knows with these boxes?

I've sold dozens of VAG DSG with no problems there not all bad. Your Skoda shouldn't bang in reverse though it could be the clutch pack getting tired. If in doubt block it. 

Sell it with a 6 month 3rd party warranty and take cover from day 1. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

Sell it with a 6 month 3rd party warranty and take cover from day 1. 

Do that , and stop buying DSG ...I've learnt my lesson three times over. Shame really ,because they're great before they break.

They have a bad rep but we've always done well with the few we've had...one recently had the same 'bang into reverse' so straight to the block with it. Interesting to hear it's probably the clutch pack as we never had it looked at

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

They have a bad rep but we've always done well with the few we've had...one recently had the same 'bang into reverse' so straight to the block with it. Interesting to hear it's probably the clutch pack as we never had it looked at

Thanks Grant. It's not too often it happens, so it may be the start of it, or I may it just needs a firmer push on the brake than others. Fingers crossed it'll be alright.

Agree with the clutch pack issues, we always look at the mechatronic first but bang into reverse, cangarooing in first with no throttle and a fault code for "Unexpected Mechanical Disengagement" points at the clutch. 

I would list it for sale with 3 months in house warranty and hope for an eastern european buyer. They generally love Skodas and you won't get a come back for something minor. If it breaks - give them the money back. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I would list it for sale with 3 months in house warranty and hope for an eastern european buyer. They generally love Skodas and you won't get a come back for something minor. If it breaks - give them the money back. 

+1