Sign in to follow this  
SAPFO

"Total Loss" Settlement Advice

Wrote my car/taxi off last week. Skoda Super Estate Elegance spec. Heated F&R etc.. 60 plate. 108k on clock. Paid 7k retail in Sept.

Firstly, I didn't think damage was that bad, and I wanted to buy it back, however, they reckon their engineer says it's a Cat S, and that I cannot buy it back, and that is in my policy. The day after the crash they had CoPart collect it, which got my whiskers twitching.

Anyway, they have offered me £5600. They say this is 'mid book', and my policy is a 'mid book' one. What do you reckon? I did say no, and they 'say' they are sending a 2nd engineer. remember, its a taxi policy, but not done many miles on it.

No better place to ask than car dealers, so thanks in advance, I appreciate your time to help. I'll post a pic

Was the accident your fault? It does make a difference in terms of your options and getting the most back.

• Like 1

if copart have it then they have you

your policy will usually say that in a claim where you are at fault you lose all rights to the salvage,only sign if you wish to be bound to these terms

this is why copart is so busy

keep negotiating

• Like 1

I've learned a valuable lesson I tell you. They could probably make what they are paying me stripping my car.

So them telling me it's a "mid-book" policy is just them trying to bend me over? Do you think they will send a 2nd engineer, or just blagging?

You may struggle getting taxi insurance after an At Fault accident, might be worth hiring your next one incl insurance.

yes, me and the woman were fine. It was her birthday, and the 2nd birthday in succession someone has hit her. :D

"fair bid?" Not following there mate

The excess is 650, they will also take the remaining policy payments, another 600, so they really are trying to pay me as little as possible. 

1 hour ago, SAPFO said:

yes, me and the woman were fine. It was her birthday, and the 2nd birthday in succession someone has hit her. :D

"fair bid?" Not following there mate

The excess is 650, they will also take the remaining policy payments, another 600, so they really are trying to pay me as little as possible. 

Ok, what you do here is ask for the car back from Copart (Either directly or via your insurer), appoint an independent assessor and then have them value your vehicle. Beware though the assessors valuation is final and it can even be less than less than the current offer, although unlikely.

• Like 1

On 24 May 2018 at 7:38 AM, tradex said:

At least you walked away from it. B)

That will described at the Salvage auction as 'very light hit, easy repair':D....looks like a fairly light prang but I'd expect there's a lot of hidden damage, seems the whole front end clip has shifted over?

Probably a fair bid?

+1 bent as a banana. 

Has OP considered that he could be buying back a heap of trouble! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, met said:

+1 bent as a banana. 

Has OP considered that he could be buying back a heap of trouble! 

I would agree here, when it comes time for renewal of the taxi plate, will the not be more sensitive over the use of a damaged vehicle for the carriage of the public etc?

6 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

I would agree here, when it comes time for renewal of the taxi plate, will the not be more sensitive over the use of a damaged vehicle for the carriage of the public etc?

Perhaps, but just because he 'can' buy the car back doesn't mean he 'should'. OP has to consider that, what looks on the face if it a cheap fix with some panels, could be far more complex if the frame needs a pull. It will never drive in a straight line, have odd dangerous handling and run through a set of tyres once a month!

• Like 1

Sorry one not replied, school hols kept me busy.

So I had a chat about the £5600 valuation, they were insistent on telling me it's a "mid-book" policy and a fair offer. I told them as advised above I wanted to appoint my indepedent engineer. They said they'd find out, and get back to me. They filed a complaint, and I was passed onto someone else.

Call centre bot #2 rings, giving me the same blurb as the last one, not mentioning what I'd previously requested about appointing my own engineer. The offer this time was £6037. I told them I still own the car, and would like access to it to have to assessed myself. He said it had been looked over twice as was their legal requirement apparently if I complained, I then requested the 2 engineers reports. He had to admit that there was only one report done.

The report came 2 days later (today), and had the wrong angle of impact. They had it as head on, where it was actually glancing. The report also stated it was assessed with only pictures provided by the salvage company CoPart, who by the way, have offered the insurance £859 for it.

The email with the engineer report also came with an increased offer of £6308.

Time to settle you think?

5 minutes ago, SAPFO said:

Sorry one not replied, school hols kept me busy.

So I had a chat about the £5600 valuation, they were insistent on telling me it's a "mid-book" policy and a fair offer. I told them as advised above I wanted to appoint my indepedent engineer. They said they'd find out, and get back to me. They filed a complaint, and I was passed onto someone else.

Call centre bot #2 rings, giving me the same blurb as the last one, not mentioning what I'd previously requested about appointing my own engineer. The offer this time was £6037. I told them I still own the car, and would like access to it to have to assessed myself. He said it had been looked over twice as was their legal requirement apparently if I complained, I then requested the 2 engineers reports. He had to admit that there was only one report done.

The report came 2 days later (today), and had the wrong angle of impact. They had it as head on, where it was actually glancing. The report also stated it was assessed with only pictures provided by the salvage company CoPart, who by the way, have offered the insurance £859 for it.

The email with the engineer report also came with an increased offer of £6308.

Time to settle you think?

Your not kidding.ex taxi undamaged,it’s only worth £4K on a good day.