Sign in to follow this  
HKQAC

Customer not happy with speed limited car

Sold a VW Golf around a month ago, and I've received a text message that goes along the lines...

Customer: "Hi, i have discovered the car has a limiter on it, i can only assume has been set on the car externally as there is no function in the cabin to limit speed, it is at 90MPH which fortunately does not intrude on day to day driving but makes me very uncomfortable to think that it has been tampered with.  I would of course like your garage to remedy this, what would you suggest?"

I later replied "Hi, i can't imagine why the car would have a speed limiter on it, and I wouldn't say that having one constitutes saying it has been tampered with?  Never the less if you would like to get some peace of mind, you can book it in with the garage we use, to have them look into this for you.  You can call them on .......... "  

Customer: "thankyou for the offer, will they be able to rectify it as well as check it?"

He seems like a nice enough guy, however he is clearly expecting me to pay for this to be sorted.

100% if I can help a customer I will, however, I don't want to open a can of worms here, and how far do you go for these customers? And as strange as it is having a speed limiter... is it my duty as the car dealer to pay for the car to be unlimited to beyond 90mph?? 

I would of thought thats beyond my duties... if so how would you handle this situation?  

Edited by HKQAC

7 hours ago, HKQAC said:

i can only assume has been set on the car externally as there is no function in the cabin to limit speed, it is at 90MPH

He must mean he cannot find the limiter function which should be in the MFD, MMI settings (or whatever VW call it).  Or it may have a winter tyre mode (like Merc).  Either way, I would suggest he bring it back to you so you can turn it off, cost zero (if I'm right)

Its adjusted via the right hand stalk. Tell him to read the manual. 

We've had this once, it was as MrC says above, previous owner must have set the limiter to 80 using the stalk also used for cruise control. I just talked her through it over the phone, took 10 mins. make it easy for them to rectify, you don't want to open a can of worms or get him coming back time and time again or wasting your technicians time. if its not rectified over the phone then suggest they bring it in. Lady was more than apologetic but now comes back to us for servicing work because she trusts us.

I would just remind him that you can't exceed 70mph in this country.... ;) (And he's probably broken the law finding out that it has a speed limiter set.....)

However, I agree with the above posts, much more sensible answers! :D

9 hours ago, HKQAC said:

Sold a VW Golf around a month ago

GOLF PUNTERS :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

GOLF PUNTERS :rolleyes:

:lol::lol: