Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

WARRANTY PROVIDERS

Can anyone recommend a good warranty provider ideally one that doesnt require up to date service history or a service prior to cover starting.

I've just taken on Autoguard and getting great service. Their only stipulation resale is evidence of a checkover. I pay the garage next door 1/2 hour and the invoice serves as proof.

Of course, "matters arising" need to be dealt with.

Autoprotect are very good. They offer a range of products like self administered polices and profit share.

what are the prices like for Autoprotect?

I only use them if somebody non local is buying a car, otherwise i stick my own on

i've been using customer protect, decent price, easy to do. However they are terrible at paying out

I sold auto protect for years and their reviews on various forums are terrible

Never found a good one yet after trying several!  Better to save all those £50 or £60's and use it to sort the cars yourself. You end up with another profit at the end of the year! If the warranty co decides its wear n tear & don't want to cough up, you may still be liable and have to pay to sort it yourself anyway!

• Like 1

I was approached by Warranty Assist this morning and their rates look pretty good.

Has anyone had any dealings?

A recommendation or a "stay the f- away" would be great.

At Lawgistics we receive many enquiries from used car dealers where their customers have become very dissatisfied as a result of an insurance warranty claim taking too long to resolve or being turned down due to a loophole.

Sadly many used car warranties do not live up to the 'peace of mind' they first promised. And unfortunately, when your customer becomes dissatisfied with their warranty it reflects badly on you and your car sales business.

As a vehicle retailer you have Sale of Goods duties and the warranty (which should enhance basic Sale of Goods rights) often has less customer rights than are automatically there when a vehicle is sold.

We talk to car dealers every week that view warranties as their own protection and often turn customers with problems away, hiding behind the warranty and refusing a customer claim.

Your customers' legal rights cannot be restricted by the warranty and they can always potentially claim for compensation arising from the breakdown of a component that has failed. For instance, a failed timing belt often leads to a serious engine failure and a failed cylinder head gasket can lead to a 'cooked' engine. There may be a charge for recovery or vehicle hire and in some cases the consequential loss may extend to an overnight stay in a hotel. Unfortunately, you could be liable for all of this and much more!

At Lawgistics we regard warranties as a defence mechanism not 'customer peace of mind'.

The customer has peace of mind under the Sales of Goods Act and the warranty simply provides a set of instructions on how to make a claim if there is a problem.

And this is why we recommend dealers to run their own warranties... read more

• Like 2

I can't stress strongly enough to give some warranty companies a wide berth. 

Edited by James Baggott
Removed brand names as impossible to substantiate

On 08/02/2015 at 3:23 PM, James Baggott said:

Dealers should run their own warranties eh? Interesting stuff.

James, When I 1st started , I gave every car a full 12 months warranty,sadly got let down by them not paying for genuine claims , I prep my cars to a very high standard so there were not many claims anyway - the final straw was an engine on an MG F ( Yes we know they are an issue !!)  , They made so many excuses so I kicked them out , .Long story short ,After some research and asking customers what they valued -  A car with 12 Months warranty being £200/300 more- than a car with shorter warranty and less money - MAJORITY Said price , so about 10 years ago I stopped using anyone , gave 3 months/3000 mile warranty and in that time I don't think  I've paid £1500- in total !  A massive saving and little issues I just pay and keep customers happy. 

Dealers say what about when you sell out of area , No problem, If customer has an issue don't make excuses , make it easy for them ( Put yourself in their shoes !) I tell them to use their normal garage or even main dealer , get a quote let me know and I've the settled the customer or paid the dealer direct ! The secret is buy proper cars - sell proper cars and its less  hassle and more cost effective , but nature of this job we all get caught out the odd times ! 

Here's a review from 12 months ago from a distant away who has an issue ! 

ralph-review.JPG

• Like 2

My experiences:

Warranty Assist were just about OK but anything too technical and I struggled to get it authorised - they have a tie in with Halfords and them sending a BMW 7 series customer with a EML showing on his way after just cancelling the light was the end for me with them. A few weeks later and the 7 series had done its head gasket plus a few other bits, it left me with a £4000 bill.

Warrantywise just about the same - the claim not to use weasel words, motortrade jargon etc but do exactly that. I had a Merc B class auto gearbox rejected just because it was too expensive to repair and was only an intermittent issue??? I've had a C4 diesel turbo claim rejected with them because it had got to the end of its natural life (57reg and 60k miles) apparently because it didn't have full service history. The car had good history with a local, old boy and his garage set up, no stamps in the book but a folder of receipts and invoices which they refused to accept as service history to decline a claim.

I tempted with starting my own but am not sure so just started with Autoguard, real decent local rep who you can chat to, and used them yeas ago in a previous job without to many complaints from memory.