Sign in to follow this  
alexcars

Is CarGurus worth it?

We've been using eBay Motors Pro now for a while but the leads seem to have dropped off a cliff, we are giving Car Gurus a go - Has anyone got any experience with them? Are they worth the money?

Edited by alexcars

Used to do ok with them, 1 or 2 every now and then but at 300 quick a pop it was bareable.  Now for 550 a pop for upto 100 cars, not really.  I was quite willing to stay with them and help them grow due to the dominance of AT but for that much of an increase I'm not paying them to do what feels like a get rich scheme.  They've been talking to MotoNovo and their fund and find my car hahaha

We sell the odd one or two a month off them. Lots of BS enquiries but always worth a reply because you never know. 

We don't pay to be on there so it must be a free package we're on.

20 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

We sell the odd one or two a month off them. Lots of BS enquiries but always worth a reply because you never know. 

We don't pay to be on there so it must be a free package we're on.

same as us, the odd sale but mainly emails sent in and they never respond to us after the initial enquiry.

cant expect much more for free.

We do OK with them - I'm sure it's only 300 quid still though - must check.

It's not as good as eBay MP (with good subtitles and Best Offer enabled/ good pics and description).  

I've only just got onto their site on a free package - instant results! 

Unfortunately they're only enquiries and so far only two have responded. One wanted retail money for his part ex and the other arranged a test drive but never turned up.

It's only been a week so will update.

4 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

We do OK with them - I'm sure it's only 300 quid still though - must check.

It's not as good as eBay MP (with good subtitles and Best Offer enabled/ good pics and description).  

That reminds me, my eBay account manager said that you can only have best offer enabled when you place a standard buy it now advert or in other words, not a classified. So do you use buy it now adverts? 

• Like 1

Agree eBay has fell off a cliff. Also interested in Best offer enabling!

You just click on the ebay MP listing (I do it after it has been fed from loading on Click Dealer) click 'Change' then 'Allow Best Offer' is a check box to tick underneath the price.

I then ammend the heading and sub heading, scroll down and add any other bits the feed has missed, then I also click on the 'Exclude from bulk uploads' otherwise your next feed may overwrite your changes.

Price

Consumer Price
£
VAT Information Please select (VAT included) + VAT (No VAT) 
Applicable VAT Rate
%
Allow buyers to send you their Best Offers for your consideration
Note: Using Best Offer will make you subject to feedback if offers are formally accepted through My eBay.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Agree eBay has fell off a cliff.

Hasn’t everything at the moment unless it’s slightly oddball or f***ing cheap? It seems dead out there at the moment - even most of the emailer arseholes can’t be bothered at the moment.

3 minutes ago, BHM said:

Hasn’t everything at the moment unless it’s slightly oddball or f***ing cheap? It seems dead out there at the moment - even most of the emailer arseholes can’t be bothered at the moment.

Yup - agree and I was just thinking the same. We're ticking over but nothing to write home about, and everyone I speak to seems to be in the same boat.

It happens.  Just glad I haven't got that monster AT bill to pay! ;0)

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I’m a similar setup to you I think. Space for 25-30 lucky to have 15-20 a lot of the time, all sub £3,500. You’re right, it needs to be a risky buy (auto or some old flash for no cash) or odd (which brings its own kind of specials) to get the phone going. Otherwise we’re lucky because we’re roadside.

3 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

I’m a similar setup to you I think. Space for 25-30 lucky to have 15-20 a lot of the time, all sub £3,500. You’re right, it needs to be a risky buy (auto or some old flash for no cash) or odd (which brings its own kind of specials) to get the phone going. Otherwise we’re lucky because we’re roadside.

Yep, apart from the roadside bit we’re about identical. 

Tbh it’s getting to the stage where run of the mill stuff isn’t worth buying unless it’s for peanuts & even then punters seem disinterested - Focuses, C-Maxes & the like are dead for me. Thank God for the MOT test & accidents, at the moment the only punters I’m seeing are those whose cars have been condemned or written-off.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:43 PM, EPV said:

That reminds me, my eBay account manager said that you can only have best offer enabled when you place a standard buy it now advert or in other words, not a classified. So do you use buy it now adverts? 

In your EMP account click on features then scroll down...you'll see the best offer button :)

It surprises me that anyone would want a “best offer” button - in a roundabout way you’re saying you don’t want the advertised price. Also, I’d imagine it’d just attract more divvies than normal with their stupid offers.

51 minutes ago, BHM said:

It surprises me that anyone would want a “best offer” button - in a roundabout way you’re saying you don’t want the advertised price. Also, I’d imagine it’d just attract more divvies than normal with their stupid offers.

Totally agree, I certainly don't have it enabled. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Which is how I view it but the point has been previously mentioned that it's a useful way to engage your buyers, if you have it up for £4,995 and someone makes an offer of £4,700 you can contact them to say you're close on price and that £4,850 would do it. I can see how that would work.

It's something of a moot point for me anyway as I've fucked eBay off out of it.

25 minutes ago, EPV said:

Which is how I view it but the point has been previously mentioned that it's a useful way to engage your buyers, if you have it up for £4,995 and someone makes an offer of £4,700 you can contact them to say you're close on price and that £4,850 would do it. I can see how that would work.

It's something of a moot point for me anyway as I've fucked eBay off out of it.

While the concept on that thinking is good the actual response from it is un-logical / illogical as your basically asking normal punters, who don't usually haggle on the price, to do so and in turn, turning them into the melts that we come to disregard and hate.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I agree 100%.

I'm all for getting more leads but when more leads turns into more work and time with absolute lemons I'd wish they'd leave sh*t alone and let us get on with what we're good at.

I kind of see EPV's point so i am going to enable the function for a week see what happens if i get 100 emails asking me to give them the car for free and mount there wife then i will switch it off, after i have humped there wife :ph34r: