Sign in to follow this  
DBDlloyds

Back to black

Happy Easter all,

Just a note to ask peoples recommendations on a great one stop cleaner - restorer for graying plastic exterior trim and tyres. I had a small bottle of something called Vynyl trim cleaner that did everything brilliantly. Unfortunately there is no make on the bottle and as I was given it I don't know where it was purchased from. I am looking for a matt sheen effect , not wet look. I think the product was solvent based.

I am now on my third bottle of other makes I have ordered and nothing seems to be any good.

Many thanks Dean.....  

By chance I stumbled across a trade Autoglym product called silicone free sheen.

I dont think its a current AG product but here is a link on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-Trade-SILICONE-FREE-SHEEN-5L-Ltr-5-Litre/112517911797?epid=1007749628&hash=item1a329714f5:g:XDcAAOSwfkdZi5V8

I bought a job lot of AG trade stuff a year ago and never realised I had this until Friday lol.

Goes on with a spray gun and then simply wipe. Leaves a nice matt finish without a high shine, or the cheapo glossy look.

Smells good too - it reminded me of the AG rubber cleaner I bought from Halfords 20 years ago!

Very impressed and was able to use inside and out and even gave the tyres a once over with it. Not super durable on tyres, but looks good if you dont have time and need to make a good first impression.

Good luck with your choices.

5 minutes ago, Linctrader said:

By chance I stumbled across a trade Autoglym product called silicone free sheen.

I dont think its a current AG product but here is a link on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-Trade-SILICONE-FREE-SHEEN-5L-Ltr-5-Litre/112517911797?epid=1007749628&hash=item1a329714f5:g:XDcAAOSwfkdZi5V8

I bought a job lot of AG trade stuff a year ago and never realised I had this until Friday lol.

Goes on with a spray gun and then simply wipe. Leaves a nice matt finish without a high shine, or the cheapo glossy look.

Smells good too - it reminded me of the AG rubber cleaner I bought from Halfords 20 years ago!

Very impressed and was able to use inside and out and even gave the tyres a once over with it. Not super durable on tyres, but looks good if you dont have time and need to make a good first impression.

Good luck with your choices.

Great thanks Linktrader, I will give this a look.

Megs Endurance is the best stuff for tyres bar none in my eyes. Stays on for a week. 

finish by autosmart,it has silicon but is water based so thin it down to your desired finish

used it for years 

for real faded plastic a heat gun still comes up trumps but its a fine line before everything goes to a glump :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EPV said:

Megs Endurance is the best stuff for tyres bar none in my eyes. Stays on for a week. 

i used to love this but found it creates a lot of mess when starts to flick off whilst driving. but no doubt it lasts and creates a good looking finish

31 minutes ago, Linctrader said:

i used to love this but found it creates a lot of mess when starts to flick off whilst driving. but no doubt it lasts and creates a good looking finish

You just have to get it on right. A sponge applicator and a thin layer does the job. 

C4 Permanent Trim Restorer from gtehnic I think it’s spelt is all you will ever need a little goes a long way it’s not a trim polish like auto Glym or autosmart finish it’s a permanent treatment 

autosmart finish. 50/50 water into a spray bottle, spray cloth/sponge apply, or into grills spray, wipe off any run on fresh paint.

not cheap, but actually is ! 1 gallon makes two, compare to the 1 litre bottles that cost you £7/8?

highly recommended, not high gloss sheen, looks natural, fresh,new :)

33 minutes ago, tradex said:

Careful, you could end up in court if you don't declare your stock may contain peanuts or peanut derivatives in all adverts, PDI and receipt. ;)

Brilliant :D

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Careful, you could end up in court if you don't declare your stock may contain peanuts or peanut derivatives in all adverts, PDI and receipt. ;)

:lol:

15 hours ago, EPV said:

You just have to get it on right. A sponge applicator and a thin layer does the job. 

I couldn't think of the correct term yesterday and it has bugged me all night...sling - the tyre slings the residue off. 

I've used all kinds of applicators and amounts and regardless it ends up on the rear bumper and front arch/door bottoms after a few drives. Always looks amazing before the car moves off though and the tyre stays treated all week unlike many others.

21 minutes ago, Linctrader said:

I couldn't think of the correct term yesterday and it has bugged me all night...sling - the tyre slings the residue off. 

I've used all kinds of applicators and amounts and regardless it ends up on the rear bumper and front arch/door bottoms after a few drives. Always looks amazing before the car moves off though and the tyre stays treated all week unlike many others.

Yes that’s right; sling off is the term! It’s weird i’ve never had that with megs stuff. 

That's what I hate about these hand car washes.  The last thing they do is dress the tyres and then you have to drive off immediately before the stuff has soaked in/dried.

Other than that, they do an amazing job for the money.

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

That's what I hate about these hand car washes.  The last thing they do is dress the tyres and then you have to drive off immediately before the stuff has soaked in/dried.

Other than that, they do an amazing job for the money.

I suppose if you like you car dewaxed with soapy acid then yeah, they are very good at it for the money.

It still blows my head that a dam good spot [location] that was either a petrol station or a used car sales pitch can not make money yet a £3.99 hand wash [ fifth wash free ?! :lol: ] can .

there biggest investment must be that wringer at the end that squeezes out the shammy [ chamois] :wacko:

I'm sure I remember reading a few months back that they were all going out of business because the council were going 'crack down' on them dumping dirty water filled with chemicals down the drain?

1 hour ago, met said:

I'm sure I remember reading a few months back that they were all going out of business because the council were going 'crack down' on them dumping dirty water filled with chemicals down the drain?

I think that is why disused petrol stations are favoured - they probably used to have a jet wash facility with staged drainage filtration.

23 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I think that is why disused petrol stations are favoured - they probably used to have a jet wash facility with staged drainage filtration.

I have never seen them use the small pad there normally like a conveyor belt of pre-wash jet-wash shampoo and then some stinking old rag to dry off, down here they just use the petrol stations as most of them have gone bust do the supermarkets smashing them on price so the plots stand empty.

Our local council are also starting to crack down notice a few have had to creep there prices up due to having to do things semi right. 

9 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I thought they were mostly fronts for people smuggling and money laundering...

The one I use wouldn't have time, they are always full to the gunnels and the money they take makes me think the money laundering is a front for the car wash :D

The council have closed two near me, both were illegal operations. I have a Tesco valeting centre just over the road from me, they do a full valet for £50 including VAT. They do a great job on the interior, even if it’s absolutely filthy the price is still the same.