Mark101

A Basic Question

I need to run one of my stock cars for a shortish while (couple of months)

Back in the day, I would pick a car with some remaining rent but of course, all gone now.

Do I need to (Probably a yes but is there another way) register the car in my name (adding a keeper) or can I just tax using the existing V5?

Thanks

Just tax it. Take the doc ref nr from the green slip and do it online. Cancel the DD when you sell it. 

Usual Options:

Do you have reminder, yes/no

Do you have a V5 in your name yes/no

Do you have a new keeper supplement yes/no (if I use this, will it not register me as the keeper?)

No. Third option. Fill out the doc ref number. Pay by card. Wallop. 

The car is already on MID, I just tell them that it is for my use (online)

1 minute ago, s and b said:

what do you do about the MID then?

Sorry what’s that got to do with tax? Am I being vacant here?

Every week or two when this question pops up I answer “use your trade plates”.

• Like 1

Anybody can tax any car by the v5/2 ref number on DD. No need to register the car in your name, simply cancel theDD when sold, if you pay by card the refund will go to the previous owner.

I believe there are only a certain number of times you can do this before DVLA get wise to your bank details keep stopping DD then they block all DD,s from that account, sounds Bollox to me cus they getting paid but that’s a govt body for u.... 

10 hours ago, BHM said:

Every week or two when this question pops up I answer “use your trade plates”.

Exactly this will be fine. We pay for them after all.

I see a guy whilst I am driving to work 6 days a week in an old 56 plate black focus on trade plates. He has been using it for 12months + now and seems fine :lol:

Depends on your area i am ten miles away from the DVLA HQ and all there bonkers ideas crash test inventions get tested here first, so using the trade plates daily i would get hammered. 

I taxed a Fabia derv last week for 6 months paid in full nothing to cancel so no banking issues with DVLA if i use it for four months and cash it is someone gets a lucky £25 odd quid refund still a cheap way to rent a car.

I will not be using my trade plates - the consequences more than outweigh any “savings”

Happy to pay tax and not that bothered about adding a keeper to the log book (on an older stock car).  I just hate being without a V5 because sods law tells me (from experience) that the minute you release your finger on the mouse to register - a punter comes along to buy the car!

49 minutes ago, tradex said:

Some, but not all, trade insurance policies demand that any 'keeper' be registered to the business. Ours doesn't, the previous company did, but I won't surprised if ours changes as more insurers add weasel-out clauses. Not a problem to declare and register, but you don't want someone rear ending your pride and joy that you have given blood for, only to find things get muddy.

I'm thinking out loud here, but what with the instant online 'Vehicle in trade' declarations, DVLA's instant ability to ascertain ownership, as more ANPR cameras are added to the already large fleet, I think those whom use their use trade plates outside of usual business hours, increasingly risk loosing their plates. Once lost they are a bugger to get back and without them it's damn hard to operate.

I'm not being prim and proper here, god knows we have all done it, but running a daily driver on plates really isn't worth the risk anymore.

Agreed. Pick the right smoker and the road tax is £30. Its not worth the risk of a warning about parking your car outside the pub, shop etc on trade plates after plod spots you or a nosy neighbour reports you. And register it to yourself. an extra owner doesnt normally make a difference to your ability to sell it, because none of us would run round in the '1 lady owner, low mileage' car where it might make a difference, would we?

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Exactly this will be fine. We pay for them after all.

I see a guy whilst I am driving to work 6 days a week in an old 56 plate black focus on trade plates. He has been using it for 12months + now and seems fine :lol:

Damn you've spotted me......... Hope the rozzers haven't cottoned on!