Sign in to follow this  
Alfie walker

Export vat

Hi everyone,

i mainly deal in commercials, I have a client in Malta that wishes to purchase a van of me which is vat qualifying. He is telling me that I do not charge him the vat as he can’t claim uk vat back and that he supply’s me with proof of export and some type of vat certificate from his side for me to show when I claim the vat back my end for the vehicle, however I was told by an account that I just invoice the client per normal with the vat but the accountant hadn’t dealt with any type of trades in Malta. The client is a trader himself and has sent me a link to hmrc that does kind of back up what the client is telling me. Has anyone had any experience with sending a vat qualifying vehicle to Malta? Any help appreciated. Thanks

if you go onto HMRC website they have a live chat option which you can get an answer very quickly and then print it off save it if a vat officer ever says different. 

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

if you go onto HMRC website they have a live chat option which you can get an answer very quickly and then print it off save it if a vat officer ever says different. 

That’s interesting,I will try the chat line.I doubt they will speak to me,apparently when I quote them my reference etc,I get flagged up ! 

I'd charge the VAT. If he's not happy, then he needs to buy from someone else. I wouldnt want to have to explain it away if I got a VAT inspection. In the end, you will sell it to someone else!

On 10/02/2018 at 9:44 AM, Alfie walker said:

Hi everyone,

i mainly deal in commercials, I have a client in Malta that wishes to purchase a van of me which is vat qualifying. He is telling me that I do not charge him the vat as he can’t claim uk vat back and that he supply’s me with proof of export and some type of vat certificate from his side for me to show when I claim the vat back my end for the vehicle, however I was told by an account that I just invoice the client per normal with the vat but the accountant hadn’t dealt with any type of trades in Malta. The client is a trader himself and has sent me a link to hmrc that does kind of back up what the client is telling me. Has anyone had any experience with sending a vat qualifying vehicle to Malta? Any help appreciated. Thanks

...and I thought I had a few headaches to deal with!

Best of luck Alfie

I looked in to this myself, from memory, you only didn't charge the VAT if he is VAT registered in Malta and provided all his information and signed the necessary paperwork, he would then have to pay VAT to malta when it arrived. there is a part on government website that explains it. if he is private then from memory he has to pay it.

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmm and if there’s a slip up come the year end you can guess who’ll be out of pocket. My guess is it won’t be the Malteser :lol:

HMRC now make the buyer claim the VAT back from the source.

It is the sellers job to do all of the necessary checks to make sure the sale can be zero rated, i.e proof of export, buyers VAT number etc.

It is also advised to take the VAT as a deposit until all of the criteria has been met.

Its a bit of a minefield now... i believe the VAT used to be claimed back from HMRC direclty, however now they have back heeled it in the direction of the seller.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks everyone for your help, it is how d7neo said after all my research the customer turned out abit of a messer! atleast now I know!