James Baggott

If you were in charge of the motor trade what would you campaign against?

So you're at the top of the tree. You've got a say over the motor trade. You can change things. (Stick with me here). If you did hold this position (which I've just made up) what would be your first move?

Would you outlaw roadside traders? Take on the DVLA? Or something else?

What really gets on your wick in business that with some campaigning you might - and I stress might - be able to change?

If I was in charge...

200.gif 

OK, let's chuck these out there...

Start:

Licensing Motor Traders

Campaigning for Car tax to be abolished in favour of extra tax on fuel - the more you use, the more you pay

Get the general public to understand that Profit is not a dirty word

Stop:

Pre-registrations

Manufacturers from dictating how we should run our businesses

Over Supply of New Cars

• Like 1

If I was in charge I would:-

Offer all car dealers the same low package on classified advertising via pay per lead this would help drive down costs for dealers and offer more selection of used cars being advertised online! All used cars online, now that would kick start a revolution!

Offer FREE mentoring and assistance for all independent car dealers who are struggling. Let that be advertising, selling, buying or the whole process! Offer free help on FCA changes and legal advice!

Make it law that car dealers have to be nice to each other and that they are at least civil to each other starting with returning phone calls, describing cars correctly and being honest to each other!

Each retails car dealer would have to be on a 5 star rating scheme run independently so that customers knew the good guys from the bad!

Insist that ALL Car dealerships closed on a Sunday to give their staff a well earned break!

To the Government , drop VAT on used car sales as I along with many other used car dealers are fed up paying tax twice on profit (vat & corporation tax)

Instead of interfering with Gap and Warranty sales why not ensure those larger PLC's who bully customers into inclusion sales are dealt with!

THIS IS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST .....I'm sure there is more but as I'm enjoying a rare Saturday off I'm away to walk my dog;-)

Jim

Yes I'm just in the process of setting up this FREE mentoring programme already had interest from suitable industry mentors & independents requiring help!

There is a real need out there and we should all have enough experience within a small group to help each other with the only cost being time.

Happy to talk to anyone looking for help or would be interested on becoming an unpaid mentor!

I can't explain the kick you get from unselfishly helping someone who is in real need. I enjoying sharing ideas and processes that we use successfully with others!

I may even post on the Forum the Mentoring Programme if that was ok?

I would only allow genuine dealers with full proof of insurance and trading forecourt/sales area etc .. into any car auctions   

• Like 2

Received this entry - via email - so thought I'd share it here:

If I was in charge of the motor trade I would change the system of our road tax, by taxing drivers on the size of their vehicles.  Why should someone who drives a small car which takes up far less space on the roads pay the same road tax as a driver of a large car, that in my opinion would be fairer.

Yours sincerely

Suzette Mizen. 

Make the OFT and Trading Stardard produce its own 'Sales of Goods Act' for the sale of used vehicles which gives a clear understanding of how long a dealer should offer cover for and what is covered. The reason they have so many complaints is because of the grey area they create. It would have a section covering trade sales, so trade car have to be described honestly including them being driven for more then 200 yards. 

Make BCA and other Auctions include the buyers fee in the hammer price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ban certain car dealers from advertising 'Phantom' cars at low prices that don't exist. If you get caught you are banned from advertising your stock for 6 months ANYWHERE !!!! same applies to admin fees !!!

Also a fine of upto £10000 for customers who miss-describe their P/X, This fine it payable directly to the dealer even if the deal isn't completed. 

• Like 1

Also a fine of upto £10000 for customers who miss-describe their P/X, This fine it payable directly to the dealer even if the deal isn't completed. 

+1 oh yeah! Including mileage discrepancies too!

I would only allow genuine dealers with full proof of insurance and trading forecourt/sales area etc .. into any car auctions   

Auction houses make far too much money out of private punters to let that happen

Up the VAT threshold and lapse the laws on the use of trade plates ....seeing as now we are not going to get any cars bought in or taken on P/X with a bit of tax on to smoke.

some fantastic suggestions ! Loving them all Guys ! 

jim is dreaming with this one ..." Make it law that car dealers have to be nice to each other and that they are at least civil to each other starting with returning phone calls, describing cars correctly and being honest to each other! " Nice thought tho! :)

We definitely need to have a 'licence ' system not only to protect our investment in the motor industry but to protect the consumers from unscrupulous dealers!

Why do we have to pay tax on tax ?  I guess the list is endless ...

• Like 1