Sign in to follow this  
DBDlloyds

SPEEDO HEAD REPLACEMENT / WRONG MILES

Morning all,

I wonder if you can help. I purchased a 2004 Ford Focus estate last week in lovely condition with only 75,000 miles on the clock. 

When I was driving it home the speedo dropped out and then came on again, I thought not a problem it will be the speedo sensor which is an easy fix with the part being £10.00 and a bit of labour..... anyway, just had a call from the mechanic to say the speedo senor has not made a difference and he said it could be the head itself.

My question is that if I replace the head it will be a different mileage. This car has potentially has a nice profit in it which will be greatly reduced if I change the head. Is it possible to get a mileage correction on the replacement ?

Thanks in advance.... Dean.

Hi Tradex,

Thanks for reply.. The car is a 1.6 Petrol,

Basically, no loss of power... the speedo needle drops to zero and starts working again when the you turn off the ignition and restart the car... The rev counter is unaffected......

Thanks again, Dean.

52 minutes ago, Anglo9 said:

is it just the speedo or the whole dash that dies ?

Hi, No its just the speedo, the rev counter etc still works....

4 minutes ago, tradex said:

Get it plugged in a see if the ECU looses the speed input on the hoof, not all Focii have ABS so the ECU derives speed from the speedo input.

I suspect it's the dash though, as no loss of power.

Thanks... I have had a quote for £80.00 to fix cluster...

3 hours ago, Dlloyds said:

Thanks... I have had a quote for £80.00 to fix cluster...

If it's Cluster Repairs UK don't hold your breath...f***ing useless IMO 

1 minute ago, grant8064 said:

If it's Cluster Repairs UK don't hold your breath...f***ing useless IMO 

No Grant, its a company called Revtronic in Bradford. No idea if they are any good....

9 hours ago, Dlloyds said:

Morning all,

I wonder if you can help. I purchased a 2004 Ford Focus estate last week in lovely condition with only 75,000 miles on the clock. 

When I was driving it home the speedo dropped out and then came on again, I thought not a problem it will be the speedo sensor which is an easy fix with the part being £10.00 and a bit of labour..... anyway, just had a call from the mechanic to say the speedo senor has not made a difference and he said it could be the head itself.

My question is that if I replace the head it will be a different mileage. This car has potentially has a nice profit in it which will be greatly reduced if I change the head. Is it possible to get a mileage correction on the replacement ?

Thanks in advance.... Dean.

Hi Dean :) it’s a 14 year old Focus, whatever you spend in addition to making it mechanically sound is IMO a waste of money. You won’t recoup the additional expense, just sell it with the fault, tell the buyer prior to travel and put it on the invoice  :) 

42 minutes ago, Dlloyds said:

No Grant, its a company called Revtronic in Bradford. No idea if they are any good....

Let me know when you find out...be handy to know

I blew up the clocks on a Mk1 Focus through a jumpstart.

These days it is easier and cheaper to find clocks on ebay with a similar mileage for £20

12 minutes ago, twerp said:

I blew up the clocks on a Mk1 Focus through a jumpstart.

These days it is easier and cheaper to find clocks on ebay with a similar mileage for £20

.... but they're not all the same and used clocks will just be another ticking timebomb. I sell loads of these early Focus' and many have replacement clocks, it's a 'focus thing' and buyers are not really put off

Im fairly sure that a lot of the refurb services are just supplying 2nd hand ones with the mileages adjusted 

Will do Grant...

Twerp....Yes I looked on Ebay but nothing near 75,000 miles. Nearest 93,000

Thanks Tradex, lets see how we get on.

16 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Hi Dean :) it’s a 14 year old Focus, whatever you spend in addition to making it mechanically sound is IMO a waste of money. You won’t recoup the additional expense, just sell it with the fault, tell the buyer prior to travel and put it on the invoice  :) 

Hi Simon,

Thanks for this... I know its an old car but it is in lovely condition... being the estate as well I have a fair potential margin.

Maybe down to lack of experience ha ha

10 hours ago, Dlloyds said:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for this... I know its an old car but it is in lovely condition... being the estate as well I have a fair potential margin.

What, on a 13 year old mark 1 Focus!?!! Gumtree fodder & I’m with Arfur - I wouldn’t waste my time putting any graft into it. 

btw the clicks were known for f***ing up in back in the day but it’ll probably keep going fine & wont happen that often.