Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Many people still buy their stock from main dealers?

have a couple of great contacts but hearing from locals moans of dealers changing rules and prices shooting up on the part ex stuff they get offered. 

Always wondered where the really nice established retailers selling £5k-£20k stock of around 20 cars manage to get their stock. Surely not at auctions anymore with prices currently at the block

I often hear of guys that source stock direct from main dealers; they paint a lovely picture. But, it can only be a matter of time before main dealers who sell off their p/x's direct get to hear about the prices that are being made at auction?

• Like 1

Very true. 

But then if we cant buy from dealerships and the auctions are too high where the hell do we go for stock!!!

10 hours ago, met said:

I often hear of guys that source stock direct from main dealers; they paint a lovely picture. But, it can only be a matter of time before main dealers who sell off their p/x's direct get to hear about the prices that are being made at auction?

Yes they are few & far between. A local Ford franchise with a couple of branches trades out locally - however, dealing at the lower end of the market and being in town, rather than country, the locals don’t look after their cars. In fact, the locals run their cars into the ground, so I don’t buy locally.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Do most people source their stock from private sellers then?

No f***ing chance. I know some lads make a few quid buying at the door but I can’t be arsed because half of the private man (if they’re not plastic traders) are absolute lying bastards.

I survive on Dealer Auction, a few from the block (less & less every year) & a smattering of p/xs. My best cars are generally my p/xs because the locals are greedy & short-sighted & they haven’t got the sense to throw 4 tyres, 4 discs & pads, a valet, an MOT & if necessary a clutch at a car. 

• Like 1

Defo not for me either every time some one walks into the garage asking do we buy cars I can’t remember the last time it ended well . 

Maybe try and find a small auction house instead of the cattle market big names ones, there often far cheaper.