Sign in to follow this  
Rory RSC

Customer reports problem - We can't find it

You know when a customer reports an issue with a car, brings it back and then you go for a drive and its not doing it. So you ask them to drive and demonstrate and they can't do it but it definately happens all the time. 

Got one in at the minute convinced his clutch is slipping yet our mechanic, me and an external tuning company have all driven it and not experienced it. Customer can't demonstrate it and reckons it happens intermittently. Nothing to do with maybe just being a new car.

99% of the time it's just a bit of buyers remorse we find.

The annoying thing is taking the car back and then having to use it yourself just to make sure it's OK. A week in an auto Yaris and a week in a 1.6 basic Astra were not pleasant :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, tradex said:

I've had clutches slip but only when once properly warned up and couldn't get it to slip when cold even when dropping it from high revs in a tall gear on the hoof......last one was a Subaru Forester......Corsair V4's used to do it too but that maybe too random for today:D

We had a lady complaining of a slipping clutch in a Clio last summer, it wasn't, but she was used to her old Megane which bit right at the bottom of the pedal...which they do when the pressure plate is fucked...and Clio's bite at the top of the pedal even when new.

Corsair V4’s ! I had forgotten about them,Tradex I hope you are not as old as me !

If we couldn’t get a reported problem to reoccur,I would always let the punter demonstrate what it was by getting them to drive in their  NORMAL MANNER .You know the sort of thing I mean,’it hesitates in top gear ‘ or it shuts down ( goes into limp mode ) for no reason.If they cannot demonstrate the problem,do nothing.

I have had them doing over 80 mph and saying did ‘you feel that ‘etc.I recall One guy being furious because his Golf Gtdi was going into limp mode for no reason ,causing him to miss a flight.Our guy plugged it in ,got a print out and it clearly showed that our punter had been travelling in excess of 90 mph.on various occasions when it shut down. I would usually say to these types that owing to their clear demonstration of their normal driving technique,the company would have to withdraw the extended warranty on their vehicle and off they would go with their tales between their legs (we do our own warranties )

23 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

You know when a customer reports an issue with a car, brings it back and then you go for a drive and its not doing it. So you ask them to drive and demonstrate and they can't do it but it definately happens all the time. 

Got one in at the minute convinced his clutch is slipping yet our mechanic, me and an external tuning company have all driven it and not experienced it. Customer can't demonstrate it and reckons it happens intermittently. Nothing to do with maybe just being a new car.

Not quite sure how a clutch can be intermittent.

Only thing we would do in that circumstance is to ask the customer to leave the vehicle with us a few days while we use it and see if we can encounter the problem.  If they are genuinely worried they do this, if they are just moaning for the sake of it they will come out with some excuse or be offended you're going to be driving their car.

When they do leave it with you, take a note of these when it's dropped off and then when they collect the vehicle:
Picture of Milometer
Picture of all 4 angles of the vehicle with 3 pics of the inside (Front area, Back area, Boot)

Only reason as above, is because we've had a few customers say that we damaged their quarter panel, interior, etc.  Even though we have CCTV onsite (pretty much everywhere) some still fancy their chances of getting something out of us.  Obviously for standard repair and servicing jobs we don't, but when it's a customer being funny, go all out and cover yourself.

9 hours ago, tradex said:

I forgot to mention that oil contaminated clutch linings cause hot clutch slip....doh!

Buyers remorse is more common though.:P

Quite bizzarely I had one back in the late 90's, 66 V4 1700, 33k one owner and as peachy as could be. 4 on the floor, not 4 on the tree.

I dropped V6 Essex in it...this should get ya memories going.

RS 3.1 block n heads

Used a Zodiac 3 sump pan and pick up (front bulge) to clear front cross member 

Savage Cortina MK2 headers

2.8 Capri front brakes running Mintex pads

Mk3 3.0 Capri manual box

Mk1 3000E 3.0 Capri 'skinny' rear axle

Honda Prelude 1 electric fan

Sitting on 1600E chrome Rostyles

.....all those parts sourced within 30 mins of my house....those were the days. I believe that Corsair now lives in the Channel Islands.

PS....the above will sound like a foreign language to anyone under 50;)

PPS...although I made new front engine mounts I could of spaced them using 1.2 Anglebox gudgeon pins as Ford did on rally chase Esates Corsair's....how's that for trivia?

nope, ive no idea what your on about :ph34r::D

On 12/01/2018 at 9:59 AM, Rory RSC said:

dependant on set up, a clutch cable can get "damp" internally [ washed off] and freeze internally, press the clutch but it doesnt fully release, the springs in diaphragm let it off just enough but it slips, had this once, and didnt do it again till next -0c 

4 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

nope, ive no idea what your on about :ph34r::D

dependant on set up, a clutch cable can get "damp" internally [ washed off] and freeze internally, press the clutch but it doesnt fully release, the springs in diaphragm let it off just enough but it slips, had this once, and didnt do it again till next -0c 

Do any cars have cables anymore??

Anyhow get them to drive it, if they can’t replicate the fault then it wouldn’t be getting left at my place “Goodbye Mr. Customer”.

Tbh probably riding the clutch or buyer’s remorse.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Do any cars have cables anymore??

Anyhow get them to drive it, if they can’t replicate the fault then it wouldn’t be getting left at my place “Goodbye Mr. Customer”.

Tbh probably riding the clutch or buyer’s remorse.

no cars have cables anymore, none.

Mk1 Aygo, 107 and C1 are the latest cars I can think of with cable clutches, and they love a clutch! I think mainly because younger mechanics don't know to check there's freeplay at the pedal when servicing them.

As the clutch wears the pedal rises, hits the silly pedal stop, and then constantly applies pressure to the clutch cover.

They're fitted with a small centre plate but the 1.0 Toyota iQ has the same diameter with a hydraulic clutch and they last fine.

I've managed to save a couple of Aygos by adjusting the cable but a 107 had to have a new one as the release bearing was knackered. 

Edited by pmpants