Wheelerdealer1

Common scam ?

Just sold a 3 series this morning and the customer had a tale to tell, apparently his previous car was bought off eBay (private seller) he did all the usual checks, Hpi etc, came up Clear, paid readies and off he went.

Two days later he is stopped by plod who seize the car as they say it was bought with a stolen credit card in November, so car now seized and he is out of pocket £5k, hpi are not honouring their guarantee either, well that’s scary isn’t it? When I take a px I do the same checks, the only thing I see dodgy here is he says the guy only owned the car a couple of months on the v5 but had a good tale to tell.

thats why this time he bought off a dealer though:)

he gets legal rights and knows where to serve the papers

i would use this to all my customers if i were you ,tell them your here today and tomorrow not like robbit and scarper

Reminds me of the time my brother in law unexpectantly turned up in his recent purchase having previously bought from us ( which was usually less than cost etc).He explained how it was very cheap and explained how he had spotted it on line and checked it out.He then flew down country,met the seller who ran a small repair garage who had owned and serviced it for 2 or 3 years etc.He paid by debit card,got a bill of sale from the seller and drove home very happy.Several weeks later of course he is on the motorway loaded up and with the family and they were suddenly hemmed in by several Police cars.It turned out the garage guy did not own the car,it had been in for repair and the real owner had left the docs in the glove box ! 

Unfortunately these punters see a cheap motor and are truely blinded by price overlooking all else, as said yes this time he wanted to buy from a trader as he knows where to find me !

buy cheap buy twice springs to mind!

'we're not the cheapest locally' has become my new line i'm dishing out to punters lately...certainly sorts the wheat from the chaff

3 hours ago, tradex said:

I've gotta say that in the few instances we know of, where HPI have made a genuine cock, up they have never honoured their 'guarantee' for want of a better phrase. Waste of time and way to expensive in our experience.

We now use CarCheck and they have pulled up discrepancies that HPI haven't. Example being a VIN with 3 outstanding finance products on it, but not the reg'.

have you got a link for car check?

Since chip and pin credit card theft is far more safe, back in the day we used to have to take all sorts of ID but those days car radios where hot property back then.

On 28/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, tradex said:

I've gotta say that in the few instances we know of, where HPI have made a genuine cock, up they have never honoured their 'guarantee' for want of a better phrase. Waste of time and way to expensive in our experience.

We now use CarCheck and they have pulled up discrepancies that HPI haven't. Example being a VIN with 3 outstanding finance products on it, but not the reg'.

Is this the MyCarCheck app ?