jamslug

Quick question re October the 1st

I have a few cars on the forecourt with outstanding tax expiring next year and in a few months. What will happen to the tax on these cars. Will it just disappear on the 1st as the cars are 'in the trade' or will I be able to continue to drive them?

Will this outstanding tax be transferable to the new owners, or will it disappear when they are sold?

I understand everything else , just not this part.

Thanks

Hi Jamslug

Not sure if this communication direct from the DVLA assists?

If a vehicle was sold to the motor trade before 1 October with months left on the tax disc and then the vehicle is sold on by the trader after 1 October, any full months left on the tax would be refunded to the previous keeper (ie the person who sold it into trade) and the buyer would need to tax it.

Whilst the vehicle is shown as ‘in trade’ and there is still remaining tax left then this will continue until DVLA is notified of the new registered keeper. During this time the trader cannot use the vehicle on the road as there is no registered keeper on DVLA records. This has always been the case and is not changing as a result of abolition of the tax disc. If the trader needs to use the vehicle in this scenario then they must use trade plates and ensure that these are used within the rules and guidance for using trade plates.

If a trader taxes a vehicle when it is in his possession and becomes the registered keeper of the vehicle they may use it on the road and will therefore qualify for a automatic refund if the vehicle is then sold on with the new buyer needing to tax in the normal way

I also have a selection of PDF's detailing Q & A's from the DVLA on a variety of subject - let me know if they would be useful?

Cheers Philip 

Jamslug, to be on the safe side Im telling every customer on and after the 1st every car whether it has a disc or not has to be taxed, that way you can't be wrong.

Just tried calling DVLA to clarify the above as Ive been told different by them...

'We are currently unable to connect your call as all 270 lines are currently busy.'

The sign of things to come over the next few weeks?

Whilst the vehicle is shown as ‘in trade’ and there is still remaining tax left then this will continue until DVLA is notified of the new registered keeper. During this time the trader cannot use the vehicle on the road as there is no registered keeper on DVLA records. This has always been the case and is not changing as a result of abolition of the tax disc. If the trader needs to use the vehicle in this scenario then they must use trade plates and ensure that these are used within the rules and guidance for using trade plates.

I've not heard of this and have never heard of it being enforced. It can take the DVLA upto 6 weeks to issue a new V5, why haven't we had irate customers calling us over the years because they have been stopped whilst their new car is still showing as 'In Trade' whilst the DVLA awaits the old V5 to change the name. 

Sounds like the DVLA trying to scare the trade !!!

Just attached some FAQ's supplied direct from the DVLA that may answer some of the questions; however, I know that the transition period in two days will certainly raise some questions.

I would be interested to see and understand how this impacts on the business and if it causes any customer satisfaction concerns, expenditure etc.

The only query Ive got is does the vehicle have to be showing as insured on the database (ie insured in the customers name) before it can be taxed, either online or over the phone?

Just spotted another anomaly in  the nonsense

"DVLA will automatically issue a refund from the date of receipt for any full remaining months of vehicle tax"

Up till now, the refund was dated from the date of posting of the claim form, if it is now the date of receipt of the yellow slip, that adds another couple of days to the transition period. So if you sell your car on the last few days of the month, chances are you will lose the following month's tax as well! With no right of appeal or dispute.

Nice.

I'm appalled (although not surprised) at how little has been heard from the Trade Bodies on this. It is incomprehensible to me how easy it has been for the DVLA and HMRC to steamroller this farce (cos that's what it will become) over us all.

And what's that BS about not driving a car that's 'in trade' as there's no registered keeper? Who just invented that rule?

Honestly, i'm gonna pop an aneurism soon. "Ooh it will save around 10 million pounds" says the chief tealeaf. That's about 25p a car on the road, mate. 25 pence!  And for that we've got lost jobs, inconvenience, disgruntled customers, misinformation, a double-taxation scam and bugger all assistance,

I bet you still get your bonus though.

• Like 2

Well it's 8.18 am !st October and I need to tax a car I sold last night....................guess what, the DVLA site is down !!

Laughable yet predictable at the same time!!

Was just about to post the same thing. Tried checking whether a car is taxed too? Yes, you guessed it!

On a side note to the whole 'discs expiring at midnight' thing...

After a lengthy conversation with DVLA yesterday, although the official lines are that any discs in the trade are no longer valid, technically they are.

If you sell a car with a disc on it as long as the transaction happened yesterday (ie the V5 can always be dated so) that disc will remain valid. I used the scenario of 'well what if I sell a car with a tax disc on it today (yesterday) will that disc expire for my customer who's driven away? DVLAs answer? No.

And so it continues..

Have we cleared up what happens to the current vehicles in the motor trade?

i was lead to believe from my post office.. why i took their word i'll never know, that... "if the vehicle was put in possesion of the motor trade (yellow slipped) before today, the tax would still be valid" They told me that the tax only expires, validates etc when the ownership changes.

Are the few cars on my pitch still taxed? I haven't a clue... i think it was a pretty poor effort on the DVLA's behalf, apart from what i've read in Car Dealer i haven't recieved anything at all regarding this

nobody seems to know what is happening, i guess a bit like HMRC.. the DVLA don't even know whats happening, websites down, i can't tax cars, i sent off a change of ownership late last week... was it done in time? i guess i'll wait and see... i can't imagin it was tho

It's  crazy, i'm all up for doing everything online as much as possible BUT the systems have to work. We live in a' instant' world where we want to clink and have things sorted, this is what the DVLA want to but they fail to deliver. No reason why this new system could have been put in place from the mid of September for tax starting 1st October. Them must know lots of people leave it until the 1st to renew especially with the offer of a direct debit scheme. 

Roll out a new system on your busiest day of the month...what could ever go wrong!!

Have we cleared up what happens to the current vehicles in the motor trade?

i was lead to believe from my post office.. why i took their word i'll never know, that... "if the vehicle was put in possesion of the motor trade (yellow slipped) before today, the tax would still be valid" They told me that the tax only expires, validates etc when the ownership changes.

Are the few cars on my pitch still taxed? I haven't a clue... i think it was a pretty poor effort on the DVLA's behalf, apart from what i've read in Car Dealer i haven't recieved anything at all regarding this

nobody seems to know what is happening, i guess a bit like HMRC.. the DVLA don't even know whats happening, websites down, i can't tax cars, i sent off a change of ownership late last week... was it done in time? i guess i'll wait and see... i can't imagin it was tho

What you say is correct CJ. Car on our forecourts with tax on put 'in trade' before the 1st October the tax disc is still valid until we sell the car. 

What you say is correct CJ. Car on our forecourts with tax on put 'in trade' before the 1st October the tax disc is still valid until we sell the car. 

As long as the yellow slip 'arrived' at the DVLA no later than yesterday, of course.

And there's no way of checking.

By the way, is this where I get to say 'I told you so'?

Nah, I think I'll wait until it completely implodes and the Motortaxenoberfuhrer's apologies and backtracking have begun...

I have decided I really CBA with all this rubbish. The post office was the best option this morning. They give you a duplicate receipt too so you can give one to your customer. On the plus side it is a lot quicker now as they don't have to write out loads of tax disks.

• Like 1

Well it took me 2 hours but I got there!!

Taxed the car using the reference number on the Green Slip V5/2C, brings up details of car (VW Golf) and cost, you confirm then onto payment, put in your email address (or mobile number)  and a confirmation will be emailed to you. 

When working fine it will be easy. I didn't have to enter the new keepers details anywhere in the process so I'm guessing DVLA are still relying on the V5 getting sent to them as before.

Just taxed a couple online, couldn't be easier.

Would be nice to be able to do a few together and pay at the end, like an online shopping scenario with a 'checkout.; I wonder if that's too much to ask? :D

Just taxed a couple online, couldn't be easier.

Would be nice to be able to do a few together and pay at the end, like an online shopping scenario with a 'checkout.; I wonder if that's too much to ask? :D

Lets not push it Chris !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

If I were to tax one online , and then send off the v5 document. Surely when DVLA receive the log book after it has been taxed, then an automatic refund will be made to the previous keeper of the tax you have just purchased?

If I were to tax one online , and then send off the v5 document. Surely when DVLA receive the log book after it has been taxed, then an automatic refund will be made to the previous keeper of the tax you have just purchased?

No, you use the reference number of the green slip V5C/2 'New Keepers Slip' so the DVLA know a new keeper will be registered shortly.