jamslug

Ex Rental Cars .... would you touch them?

Morning good people.

Yesterday I was approached by a rep from a major rental firm. He just came and introduced himself as a Remarketing Account Manager and wanted me to come on board.

What are you experiences with ex rentals? Are there certain things to look out for? Do they show more wear? I just need to hear your thoughts.

Do you do well out of them, or would you just stay away?

James

• Like 1

i think they are 50/50, some are good some are worse. The only thing that puts me off is those people who suffer from "not my car" syndrome, and decide to drive the nuts of it.

Yeh I suppose, and if it is let out to 10 people in a month and 5 of them drive the crap out of it, over 3 years the car is going to be shagged!

Depends on the car IMO, German cars and fords do well after rent, Italians and French not so

Thanks Wheeler , might give them one chance to get it right with a Mondeo estate . If they mess it up, back to my other sources.

Yes they are, maximum of 3 year olds. Also do you know if you have to declare they have been used as hire vehicles?

Owned by Mr Hertz, the nice Dutch man, likes to change his car regularly.. :D

Seriously though in the days of ERAC (Enterprise) on the V5 Ive heard colleagues say (and said myself) that they were 'registered on behalf of the manufacturer' and most people don't seem to be bothered.

Pretty sure that most large hire companies don't have the word Hire or similar on the V5s now because of remarketing?

• Like 1

Heh heh heh... reminds me of the old BSM Metros we used to knock out back in the early nineties.

Registered to 'Engineering Educational Trust' or something equally obscure!

Another question.... I am guessing it is illegal to describe an ex rental vehicle as one owner , although one would appear on the log book, it has had hundreds of drivers . Is this correct ?

Even though it's had so many drivers it's only one company that have actually owned the car ðŸ‘

Another question.... I am guessing it is illegal to describe an ex rental vehicle as one owner , although one would appear on the log book, it has had hundreds of drivers . Is this correct ?

Yes. That would be misleading. 

It would't be illegal as the vehicle is officially one owner, however trading standard do take a dim view of ex rental cars being sold without this being disclosed.

However, how many red Astra's out there are on forecourts where the first owner was daily rental, but as they are on their 3rd owner this isn't in the log book, so the dealer could legitimately be unaware

as somebody pointed out, a lot of these rental companies have a "front" company, a company that does nothing, but have a name, that they use to register the vehicles in. I think its Europcar that register vehicles under "Provincial Securities Ltd"

The problem is alot of these vehicles are owned by the manufactors. I remember we used to inspect tens of thousands of vehicles at Walon, that were owned by General Motors UK, but "leased" to rental companies. The better vehicles that came back were remarketed as GMUVS (general motors used vehicles) and i know VW were doing the same. The best vehicles went to showrooms as approved used vehicles, the others went to auction in specific VW/ GM / BMW auctions.

I guess aslong as your truthful about what you know about the vehicle, you've nothing to worry about. You can only tell the customer what you know. If the vehicle is registered to VWFS, theres no telling that it was a rental, company car, private finance etc

Morning good people.

Yesterday I was approached by a rep from a major rental firm. He just came and introduced himself as a Remarketing Account Manager and wanted me to come on board.

What are you experiences with ex rentals? Are there certain things to look out for? Do they show more wear? I just need to hear your thoughts.

Do you do well out of them, or would you just stay away?

James

So what's the crack with these cars? Are they SOR, on a stocking plan or just purchased outright?

Hi Sparky , they are purchased out right . I have given one a go , it should be here today or tomorrow so I will see . A 62 plate Astra 2.0 diesel SE spec .

• Like 1

In a previous life, we used to trade ex rentals for a certain rental company to trade as an intermediary.

The issues to be aware of / questions to ask.

Are you buying a car that is physically available? - Some will pre market these cars as they are due off rental, the problem with that being the car does;t always turn up when expected ( renter keeps it) and is often not quite as expected as it may have damage they don't know

Check the service stamps - with more being kept on fleet longer, many sail past their service due date.

Look carefully at the grading policy - The biggest issue we had was a disparity between the rental company view on a car and the dealer, particularly if you are a manufacturer franchise, Most BMW dealers for example would expect a car to come in needing a quick shammy ( unreasonable in my view) if it was a top quality, whereas the rental company class a would still often need some work.... I saw many of these disputed cars, i'd say in 70% of the cases i thought the dealer was unreasonable, but in 30%, the car was not as described, so make sure you have comeback on this - ideally see em first 

The place I used to work work owned half and leased half of the fleet, you can guess which half of the fleet was treated the worse !