Wheelerdealer1

New car tax laws - the end of road side traders ?

Thinking out loud here, but any thoughts appreciated

Will the road side delboy traders finally be finished off with the new car tax laws?

I must say I hope so !

Most survive buy taxing the car using the new keeper slip and sticking it out on the street whilst advertised, as this is no longer the case I'm guessing they won't be forking out on premises

Thanks Andy, but my guess is that most street traders will be less likely to tax as the tax won't go to the next owner, and they won't be able to claim a refund unless they become the registered owner

Agreed. So there will in all likelihood be more rather than less. Nobody is going to know if a car is taxed or not. Unless they do an online check. Do we really think the Police/Local Authority/DVLA have spare members of staff swilling around to roam the streets checking parked cars?

And when you do the job for them, who's going to give a toss when you report an untaxed car?

Green giant you have shattered my hopes and dreams

To be fair the ANPR police and also the dvla vans are a regular site where we are based in west London, plus I think the dvla clampers are private guys working under dvla so very very keen to clamp untaxed cars. I see one almost everyday, I even bizzarley saw an untaxed car clamped in someone's drive!

Hopefully they start clamping these road side trader cars aswell !

I hope!

Green giant you have shattered my hopes and dreams

To be fair the ANPR police and also the dvla vans are a regular site where we are based in west London, plus I think the dvla clampers are private guys working under dvla so very very keen to clamp untaxed cars. I see one almost everyday, I even bizzarley saw an untaxed car clamped in someone's drive!

Hopefully they start clamping these road side trader cars aswell !

I hope!

That's cos you're in London mate - where cars aren't wanted full stop.

Pretty soon every car inside the M25 is gonna be clamped just for being there.

Out here in the sticks we see nobody enforcing anything.

Demand is up, but the choice is far greater in London so key to a sale is prep, as for enforcement using ANPR out here, it's easy pickings for police and dvla alike, just a way of generating income rather then anything else I think

Getting stopped is a real nightmare though , no common sense from the police and mostly no understanding of how things work in the trade

Especially trade insurance, but that's another discussion I think

The new online DVLA checking service is up and running (Beta, but functional) here

Initial thoughts?

1st obervation: There doesn't seem to be a 'passed to trade' category. A car in our stock is showing as SORNed, when I know it hasn't been, but the yellow slip was sent a couple of weeks ago. Not sure of the implications.

Im sure this will certainly make an impact and if someone is selling 3 4 5 cars a month it will be difficult .. where as if someone is selling the odd car or maybe half a dozen a year then i suspect you would just register the car in your name by sending the logbook off and then wanting reselling straight after all you would do is simply go to the post office pay the tax and then sell and get the refund after.

Yes there will be another owner on the logbook but all other cars will be in the same boat as well if registered and sold after

The most important thing is if you are selling a car then make sure you send the logbook off with the new keepers details as dont give the logbook to the new keeper to do so  

Sharp increase in cars getting clamped round here, one chap just had the mot done and left it in front of his own house untaxed for an hour, came back and it was clamped !

Im still seeing some cars advertised on the roadside and the advert clearly states ..the normal MOT and TAX .. as you say only a matter of time for the clampers now!

I was speaking to a "road side trader" last week , although he has been pretty annoyed about the new changes as he usually dumps these piles on the sides of the roads, his exact words were:

'F*** the Po. I am going to leave them there anyway, they will never know, in Plymouth there are not enough police and they don't care about un taxed cars anyway'.

So from that, I don't think anything will change and they will continue to trade on the road side and drive our prices down. boo

well here in lovely county of ..

(fake tan .. false nails .. cardboard cut out gangsters .. and dodgy souped up Sierra Cosworths) called ESSEX 

The 3 bed semi detached front room car sales kerbside business is still booming, with them everywhere and all being put up saying "Tax n MoT" 

So much for the APNR vans :-(

I was speaking to a "road side trader" last week , although he has been pretty annoyed about the new changes as he usually dumps these piles on the sides of the roads, his exact words were:

'F*** the Po. I am going to leave them there anyway, they will never know, in Plymouth there are not enough police and they don't care about un taxed cars anyway'.

So from that, I don't think anything will change and they will continue to trade on the road side and drive our prices down. boo

Most roadside traders know that they can easily avoid a heap of trouble by simply taxing any sale cars anyway. After all, tax on cheapies added value. I also notice that you can tax a car without being the registered keeper so stick it on a monthly direct debit and cancel when sold ;)  :ph34r: