umesh

What’s happened to all the ‘professional motor traders’?

What’s happened to all the ‘professional motor traders’?
I’m sure we’re all having similar issues or have them in the past!
Few months ago dealer puts an Audi S5 on ATM – Late on about 6.15ish, I called him straight away to check on the spec as ‘nothing ‘ was mentioned, he ASSURED me it was black with black leather , sat nav , Bluetooth pretty much it – he had just picked it up and was driving it , I said I was very keen 99% but just need to call customer to confirm, he said no problem and that I had 1st refusal -confirm in the morning ! I emailed an Audi colleague to spec check the car, 8.00am next morning I have the spec checked. The car has ‘tan’ leather, sunroof, + few other bits. I rang about 8.15ish, goes to voice mail, land line no answer, and send an email to say I’d buy the car- no reply. Waited until 9.00 rang mobile no answer, tried 20 mins later got to speak to the man “sold mate sold it last night! “ I said you.. “Sorry gone you’re too late and put phone down!â€
OK the tan leather wasn’t a problem for my customer BUT what a pack of lies – he’s just picked it up, tan & Black – some difference!  How can you miss the sunroof? One thing for sure I’d never ring the dealer again – totally unprofessional Two weeks later I did find the perfect car and a dealer who was just as impressive- in fact he went ‘above & beyond’ he’d told me 1 wheel refurb but because I’d specifically asked about the wheels he went out again after doing the deal and said he was wrong 3 wanted doing (2 weren’t too bad) but he felt he had misled me – AND Got them all refurb before I got the car collected! That professional !
Another two last & this week! Rang a dealer about a prestige car circa £40k, told me it was sold but I have another one coming in tomorrow! Great gave me all the details and promised to send me some pictures.... 4 days later I got 2 pictures. I rang him to ask full details were correct now the car was physical and confirmation of price to me – told me £40K trade – as it will be going up on the front for £42950! Can you believe it on AutoTrader & their web site £39950!!!
Finally, I promise I won’t bore you anymore! customer ( very regular ) spots a car on eBay send me a link and says ‘do your magic on this ‘ last 4 cars he’s found and I’ve managed to do deals with dealers/privates! Car is for £9499 – few conversations / emails with the dealer back & forth!.  Dealer says happy to trade £9000 – tell your customer £9999 that leaves you a good margin ! I said
“ customer has seen it advertised for £9499†! does make you wonder what people think & do !!

The gentleman trader is a rare thing these days, its refreshing that you have found one. But i think 1 in 4 is about right... People used to trade on reputation, but i think these days they just want a quick £££.

Do you use the feedback systems on the trade sites ?

In fairness to the guy with the car advertised for £9495 if he had fully prepped it, serviced and MOT'ed in may own him £8700 ish, he want's a bit of profit so says £9000, if its a case of driving it to your customer and take £500 profit it may not be a bad deal.

With the Audi guy I very much doubt he was driving the car (maybe he was on the way to pick it up) and was just guessing off the top of his head, once he saw the car was to embarassed to speak to you or admit his mistake.  ATM was always full of people like that and sounds like it still is. They use it as a way to value a car then sell it locally once they know a baseline price.

I do wonder how many old fashioned traders are still around, I'm a little in the sticks and haven't come across one in years, which is fine as I tend to keep myself to myself and the stuff I stock is BMW's, Mini'sand German vehicles (maybe not what traders like to deal in, who knows)!!

I think with the internet and ATM people noticed you may deal with someone once then never again, so the level of honesty dropped because repeat business wasn't the way it worked. Same with dealer auction now, a garage could upset 20 people in the trade yet still carry on selling to the 100's of other who used the system.

I know we've always tried to trade professionally and honestly, we were putting nearly as much effort into advertising trade as retail if not more, due to have to describe and photo all marks, scuffs etc where as retail, your happy on the condition. First 6 months of the year the profit per unit makes you wonder if its worth it, against the time in prospecting retail customers. I am not saying you should rush trade deals but it's difficult to get the balance right, I guess it's ensuring you treat others how you want to be treated, be proud of the name on the invoice

• Like 2